M67 Rig Complete. Combat set-up?

kphfun

Y'all got me thinking, so I decided to check. I also have a complete set of nylon 67 gear. I know that no one wore it all at once, but it has everything except the butt pack and I'm waiting for it to fall out of the sky and hit me like everyone else is.

I got a air matress in my big find a couple of months ago and when I saw it, I tossed it into my collection room to put with my gear and have been working on the stuff that I need to move and forgot about it. This discussion got me thinking about puting it on my 67 gear, so I just went to check as I thought it would go great with the sleeping bag carrier as someone else mentioned. As I unfolded it, I realized that it was a 62 date, so now I'm going to put it with my 65 dated M-56 gear and look for a 69 dated one.

The interesting thing that I found that I didn't realize I had was a canvas butt pack that is in mint condition. When I went to move it out of the way, I noticed something wasn't kosher, so I opened it up and lo-and-behold, it was dated 1960! Instead of the waterproof throat, it has the two canvas flaps. Never seen one before, so I'm going to have to do some research on it. I shouldn't have gone down an checked, now I will never get back to sleep tonight.

hawkdriver,

Those early field packs, universal pouches, suspenders, and first aid pouches are hard to find in mint condition. The early versions stopped being made in about 1961, so there is much less than the improved versions made from 1962 to the 70s in large quantities for Vietnam.

Dustin

hawkdriver,

Those early field packs, universal pouches, suspenders, and first aid pouches are hard to find in mint condition. The early versions stopped being made in about 1961, so there is much less than the improved versions made from 1962 to the 70s in large quantities for Vietnam.

Dustin

I think it would be a late M56 pouch if it has the two inner flaps. But that is for another thread :lol: ..

Craig, is there any FM's or TM's that you don't have? ;):lol:

Today, my lightweight ruck in mint condition came in from Duffy. I got her loaded up and displayed with my M67 gear, thought I would show it off.

dqnp5.jpg

I think it would be a late M56 pouch if it has the two inner flaps. But that is for another thread :lol: ..

Craig, is there any FM's or TM's that you don't have? ;):lol:

kphfun,

hawkdriver's 1960 dated field pack IS an early one. The later ones had a rubberized closure on the inside and were made after 1960.

Dustin

Today, my lightweight ruck in mint condition came in from Duffy. I got her loaded up and displayed with my M67 gear, thought I would show it off.

dqnp5.jpg

Nice set up Hawkdriver! thumbsup.gif What does the back look like if you might give a pic?

kphfun,

hawkdriver's 1960 dated field pack IS an early one. The later ones had a rubberized closure on the inside and were made after 1960.

Dustin

Yes, it would be an M56 pack as the M61's have the water proof throat, the flaps were on the M56 pack. A year ago I would not have known these little things but this site can fill you with knowledge really quick thumbsup.gif ..

My pack is a M56 dated Sept 60.

As for a pic, I will have to go take one, but it is bland as I wanted to keep it clean so that if I were to wear the lightweight ruck, I didn't want a bunch of crap back there. I have the M67 sleeping bag carrier with a mosquito net in it hanging from the upper snaps, and a M56 butt pack.