M67 Rig Complete. Combat set-up?

kphfun

I think I picked up the last item I needed to complete my M-67 gear when I got the sleeping gear carrier but just want to make sure. Here is what I have, two 68 dated ammo pouch's, canteen pouch with 1970 canteen that came with it, markings on back to faded to read the date but it has the plastic snaps so I am thinking 1968. 1968 dated suspenders. Minty Davis belt but cant quite read the date ( Dang, Belt's are hard to read!). Sleeping Carrier dated 68. Tri-fold shovel dated 69 and cover. Butt pack marking's are to faded to read but the guy I got it from told me it was what he was issued in 71. FA pouch with markings inside to faint to read (almost did not think there were any but I can just see a slight trace.) but once again with plastic snap and a First Aid kit with markings to faint to read. Also an early type flashlight and a woodland camo poncho that is dated 74 but I know that would not be correct for a late Nam set! My question is when did the nylon belt first aid kit become available and would it have seen use in Vietnam? Thanks thumbsup.gif ..

post-3273-1240013524.jpg

I think the earliest nylon first aid kits seen here was contracted in 1970, I don't know if any were in RVN, though.

That butt pack is a later type, not actually an M-1967, but a good filler in case you do find that pot of gold.

I think the earliest nylon first aid kits seen here was contracted in 1970, I don't know if any were in RVN, though.

That butt pack is a later type, not actually an M-1967, but a good filler in case you do find that pot of gold.

Thank's and yeah I know it's not an M67 buttpack but as you said it will do till I find one, and I will thumbsup.gif .. :lol:

Thank's and yeah I know it's not an M67 buttpack but as you said it will do till I find one, and I will thumbsup.gif .. :lol:

i agree with the "jungle first aid kit", i truely have never seen a picture of a marine during the vietnam war with the nylon case "jungle first aid kit" they used the canvas case "jungle first aid kit" thru to the major withdraw of U.S. combat forces...you might have seen them on marines during the evac in 1975 ,but not before...hey kphfun you have a nice set good for you...one more thing if your setting your rig up for an Army Infantryman then they never used the marine "jungle first aid kit" they just used the first aid pouch with either one of the older style field dressings or two of the newer troop indv. field dressings and the Infantryman would also have two or more water canteens on his webbing and not a E-tool that went on the ruck....and the LW O.D. poncho was more in use than the camo poncho with late war line Infantry units...what you can do if you take that (postwar) buttpack off is to tie a L.W. poncho onto the rear of the pistol belt as per FM 21-15..this would be correct as a fighting load....vince g. 11b Infantry..

i agree with the "jungle first aid kit", i truely have never seen a picture of a marine during the vietnam war with the nylon case "jungle first aid kit" they used the canvas case "jungle first aid kit" thru to the major withdraw of U.S. combat forces...you might have seen them on marines during the evac in 1975 ,but not before...hey kphfun you have a nice set good for you...one more thing if your setting your rig up for an Army Infantryman then they never used the marine "jungle first aid kit" they just used the first aid pouch with either one of the older style field dressings or two of the newer troop indv. field dressings....and the LW O.D. poncho was more in use than the camo poncho with late war line Infantry units...what you can do if you take that (postwar) buttpack off is to tie a L.W. poncho onto the rear of the pistol belt as per FM 21-15..this would be correct as a fighting load....vince g. 11b Infantry..

Thanks and yeah, I was trying more for a late Marine look. I know the woodland cammo is not cosh but I needed a place to put it for the moment :lol: . I got a nice canvas tropical pouch dated 67, I guess I will put that on the belt instead. Would the Marine's have used the M61 pack in the latter years of the war?

Thanks and yeah, I was trying more for a late Marine look. I know the woodland cammo is not cosh but I needed a place to put it for the moment :lol: . I got a nice canvas tropical pouch dated 67, I guess I will put that on the belt instead. Would the Marine's have used the M61 pack in the latter years of the war?

i think for the most part the marines still used the M-41 field pack canvas or nylon type for the most of the war but i have seen the odd photo of marine recon guys with canvas buttpacks and M-56 web gear ,also the odd photo of a regular line Infantry marine with them..a marine theme war belt would be more like the "canvas jungle first aid kit"on the rear of the pistol belt flanked by a canteen on each side then your ammo pouches on each side and maybe the first aid pouch with a compass no flashlight leave that in your ruck..lastly i do'nt know if the maines used the m-67 ILCE in any large amounts (like issue to a whole battalion etc..) during the later part of the V.N. war i think the biggest end users were the Army only...vince g. 11b Infantry...

Thank's Vince. I know that Recon Marines used Nylon item's but to what extant I have not learned yet. I would add another canteen but all I have are late war canvass M-56's with the nylon trim and I am trying to keep this more of a M67 set-up, that is why the E-tool is on the belt :lol: .. More input anyone?? thumbsup.gif

sharpsshooter
i agree with the "jungle first aid kit", i truely have never seen a picture of a marine during the vietnam war with the nylon case "jungle first aid kit" they used the canvas case "jungle first aid kit" thru to the major withdraw of U.S. combat forces...you might have seen them on marines during the evac in 1975 ,but not before...hey kphfun you have a nice set good for you...one more thing if your setting your rig up for an Army Infantryman then they never used the marine "jungle first aid kit" they just used the first aid pouch with either one of the older style field dressings or two of the newer troop indv. field dressings and the Infantryman would also have two or more water canteens on his webbing and not a E-tool that went on the ruck....and the LW O.D. poncho was more in use than the camo poncho with late war line Infantry units...what you can do if you take that (postwar) buttpack off is to tie a L.W. poncho onto the rear of the pistol belt as per FM 21-15..this would be correct as a fighting load....vince g. 11b Infantry..

Last year I bought a complete canvas JUNGLE FIRST AID KIT. Inside the top pocket of the canvas case is the following , 6545-912-96 25 CASE, FIRST AID KIT, EMPTI BENCHCRAFT LUGGAGE INC 120- 1352 -66 H The components sheet states the following, 6545-823-8165 FIRST AID KIT INDIVIDUAL Assembly built according to UA CODE DECK 7119 as furnished by Directorate of Medical Material, Defence Personnel Support Center, dated 1 August 1965 ASSEMBLY DEPOT----DEFENSE DEPOT MEMPHIS PACKED BY------SCOTT 0154 There are 6 individual pockets inside the case for all the supplies.

Last year I bought a complete canvas JUNGLE FIRST AID KIT. Inside the top pocket of the canvas case is the following , 6545-912-96 25 CASE, FIRST AID KIT, EMPTI BENCHCRAFT LUGGAGE INC 120- 1352 -66 H The components sheet states the following, 6545-823-8165 FIRST AID KIT INDIVIDUAL Assembly built according to UA CODE DECK 7119 as furnished by Directorate of Medical Material, Defence Personnel Support Center, dated 1 August 1965 ASSEMBLY DEPOT----DEFENSE DEPOT MEMPHIS PACKED BY------SCOTT 0154 There are 6 individual pockets inside the case for all the supplies.

cool beans ! i did'nt catch if it were full or empty? for me at least marine V.N. issue canvas jungle first aid kits are getting harder to find as the years go on....vince g. 11b inf..

craig_pickrall

Vince, I'm curious. Did you learn cool beans in Phoenix or did you maybe learn it in the north east and miagrate to Phoenix? My wife is from Delaware and she uses that all the time. She told me it was a yankee thing. She doesn't do any of that silly stuff like "yous" or "yous guys". In fact I've taught her to use the all encompassing y'all a much more sensible word.

Mercenary25

Marines started to use M1967 gear during transaction process (1970-1980). You could see some references of them with mixture of M1967 and LC-1 gears with RDF uniforms or some wear ERDL with USMC stamps. So technically your gear is good for that time. thumbsup.gif

craig no i'm a seventh generation Arizona boy....all my time here except for 20 odd years in the Army...i just pick up words from being around folks from other places...so no worries i'll catch you later and thanks for asking craig. :lol: ...vince g. 11b inf...

Marines started to use M1967 gear during transaction process (1970-1980). You could see some references of them with mixture of M1967 and LC-1 gears with RDF uniforms or some wear ERDL with USMC stamps. So technically your gear is good for that time. thumbsup.gif

all bets are off from 73 or 74 and onward into the 70's for only one type of webgear for a marine.. you really started to see an influx of nylon web gear and a mix of marine m-61 ,m-56 ,m-67 and lasty ALICE equipment in the mid 70's...vince g. 11b inf....

From some of the pictures I've seen, a lot of Marines at the end of VN and seveal years post war look like a walking 782 gear flea market, with a huge mix of gear that sometimes doesnt even follow a specific web set.

I really like the walking flea market comment. I served just post VN and we used everything from M-1956 on up. I still have a canvas buttpack, nylon canteen carriers, nylon belt and Y-suspenders. Some of my guys got the H-suspenders. Much better, don't know why they switched. We also had the plastic E-Tool carriers. Ammo pouches were both nylon and canvas. I even had a few pieces of WWII gear that I used to make more room on my belt (1942 first aid pouches). We wore both VN and woodland helmet covers. Just depended on where you were in line. I got to keep my steel pot as they were fazing in the Kevlars and didn't want the pots back. Unfortunately, my Mrs. tossed my flak jacket a few years ago. And I still have one set of Intermediate Woodland BDU's that I was issued in 1985 (and don't hate me guys) still fit !!! I wore them when I was still on SWAT. Crap in the summer, but nice in winter.

sharpsshooter
cool beans ! i did'nt catch if it were full or empty? for me at least marine V.N. issue canvas jungle first aid kits are getting harder to find as the years go on....vince g. 11b inf..

What is the sixth word on my reply? IT SAYS COMPLETE IT HAD EVERYTHING that was issued in the jungle first aid kit. I paid $65.00 The seller was clearing out his fathers gear from VIETNAM.

I don't think that was neccessary, sharpshooter, everyone is pretty friendly around here.

We're here to ask questions, spread knowledge, and help each other learn more about something we all have an interest in.

I appreciate the fact that folks here are courtious and proffessional, it's what makes this forum stand above others, that frequently break down into insults and name calling.

it's all good ,hot lead ,if i had 5 cents for sounding off i would be a rich man for sure......vince g. 11b ( a real 11B INFANTRYMAN)......

it's all good ,hot lead ,if i had 5 cents for sounding off i would be a rich man for sure......vince g. 11b ( a real 11B INFANTRYMAN)......

Ata Man Vince, it don't mean nothing. I should hope he did not mean it in a condescending way as COMPLETE is rather vague, to me it would mean first that all snaps, flaps and markings are there! Complete with all item's is another world. thumbsup.gif Just a quick ? though, for the carrier would it be proper just to have the pneumatic mattress in it? I think you already said so in the other thread and I apologize if you already answered it. :rolleyes: ..Cheers mate

Ata Man Vince, it don't mean nothing. I should hope he did not mean it in a condescending way as COMPLETE is rather vague, to me it would mean first that all snaps, flaps and markings are there! Complete with all item's is another world. thumbsup.gif Just a quick ? though, for the carrier would it be proper just to have the pneumatic mattress in it? I think you already said so in the other thread and I apologize if you already answered it. :rolleyes: ..Cheers mate

it would be correct for a late war Army line Infanrtyman (if he had a M-67 SLEEPING GEAR CARRIER or M-67 WEBBING)he would have a poncho heavy or LW and a liner....also maybe a air mattress( the thin 60's type) not the post war thick insulated type...and maybe a sleeping shirt and a dry pair of socks all rolled up...thats about it...vince g. 11b inf.....

it would be correct for a late war Army line Infanrtyman (if he had a M-67 SLEEPING GEAR CARRIER or M-67 WEBBING)he would have a poncho heavy or LW and a liner....also maybe a air mattress( the thin 60's type) not the post war thick insulated type...and maybe a sleeping shirt and a dry pair of socks all rolled up...thats about it...vince g. 11b inf.....

So a mattress dated 1970 would not be proper?

craig_pickrall

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...021-15&st=0

Check this link and it will tell you what was carried late war.

A 72 dated matress is a little late. One with a 60's date would be better but sometimes you have to go with what you can get not what you really want.

sharpsshooter
Sorry if everyone took it the wrong way, just trying to get my reply right. The canvas carrier had the markings and fold over flaps and was not missing nothing.