M47 Patton model

CamoDeafie

hello guys, any interest in this model? I found it in package in my dad's shed, it had been started, but never went further, a few pieces were off the sprue frame but no paint no glue seen, I tracked all the pieces and its all there, if no one wants it, I'll go ahead and build it :) ugly green plastic, black rubberlike tracks, b/w instruction sheets, the cover is one with picture of a painting with a M47 in the German Army colors, and decals show both US and Heer (west german army) markings, would this be an indication of when the 1:35 model was molded and sold?

hello guys, any interest in this model? I found it in package in my dad's shed, it had been started, but never went further, a few pieces were off the sprue frame but no paint no glue seen, I tracked all the pieces and its all there, if no one wants it, I'll go ahead and build it :) ugly green plastic, black rubberlike tracks, b/w instruction sheets, the cover is one with picture of a painting with a M47 in the German Army colors, and decals show both US and Heer (west german army) markings, would this be an indication of when the 1:35 model was molded and sold?

As far as I know, that might be the original packaging... are there any dates on the box or instructions?

One word of warning with this one... the running gear is fragile, as the components were molded to scale, or close to it. The tracks tend to run a bit tight, but if you can replace them with aftermarket tracks, that might be the better idea. Their M24 Chaffee had the same problem... stiff tracks that were almost too small around to use and you risk breaking off idlers or roadwheels to use them. Other than that, it is a wonderfully detailed model, and looks great if done right.

Good Luck,

Wayne

edit. the painting shows a M47 in US colors

IMG00644.jpg

IMG00645.jpg

IMG00646.jpg

IMG00648.jpg

after looking at reviews online, it seems i may not need to get aftermarket link by link tracks, but to be on the safe side, since this seems to be a late 70s early 80s re-issue, the plastic may be more brittle

Hard to tell the date of this kit based on the box... they dont change the box art that often. I've heard Italeri's plastic is often brittle too, but I haven't built many Italeri models that have had brittle plastic. Of course it could be a matter of interpretation too... To me, brittle plastic is along the lines of the old Peerless Max and Life-Like kits... Still, careful planning on getting the parts off the sprue... a good pair of Xuron cutters or similar, and/or a fine razor saw and you shouldnt have any problems. I always wanted to do the M-47 painted up like Oberst Hessler's "King Tiger" tanks in the movie "Battle of the Bulge." Also notable in that movie was the extensive use of the M24 Chaffee.

Thinks I need to find the M-47.....

Looks like something from the 1980s or early 90s to me.As Wayne stated look for a date on the instructions.May be on the front page on the bottom in a corner or possibley in a number code on the box.

RD

I once heard that the Governator was booted from the Austrian army for accidently driving an M47 through a house... Dont know how much truth there is to that, but it would be fun to build a diorama based on the incident, rumor or not... hehe

Wayne

haha... i don't know but i heard he bought "his" m47

Revell Germany makes one in 1/35th scale.

same kit, different box.

i remember reading about Mr. Schwarzenegger having a set of weights stashed in the ammo bins for his workouts when he was in the Austrain army... should also be a fun diorama to make of him benchpressing by his M47 lol, also that he found the exact one and bought it when it was buried and being used as a pill box defense i think

I think the version with the German Army markings was re-released in the mid-1970s. I seem to remember it was re-re-released again in the late 70s/early 80s in a yellow Testors box with S. Vietnamese markings on the picture on the box cover. I still have a couple in my modeling stash from when I used to do armor modeling. It was a pretty decent kit with pretty good detail for the time, (except for the treads).