Info wanted to restore a Tank's paint job

larry030767

larry030767

The American Legion Post of which I'm a member of wants to restore a M-48's exterior paint as a community project. Some rusting is present and further damage needs to stopped post haste. Any Tredheads out there have any advice on how to go about this as a group project? Tank is on static display as part of our local Veterans Park so all work would have done in place so the nearest body and fender place is out of the equation. :lol: We need to also replace the canvas covers on the mantlet and muzzle brake. Thanks to any who reply.

what unit did it belong to? which era? :) those are the 2 main things needed to get more information on paint schemes and so on :)

larry030767
what unit did it belong to? which era? :) those are the 2 main things needed to get more information on paint schemes and so on :)

Have no clue as to the tank's history. The goal is to stop further deterioration of the vehicle.

Airborne-Hunter

You will have to remove the rust and probably the easiest ways to do so are to either sand blast or use NAVAL JELLY. In both cases they will eat away at the metal, so be careful and use sparingly. After that it can be primed and painted. Hope this helps ABN

Just to clarify, are you asking what color scheme or markings should be used?

Or are you asking about the technical aspects of painting a heavy vehicle like a tank? If so, you might want to seek advice from the following:

Military Vehicle Preservation Association

http://www.mvpa.org/

Patton Museum (they have a restoration shop)

http://www.generalpatton.org/

or go on Google and put in "military vehicle collectors" or "military vehicle preservation".

One think I think you would want to avoid is simply just overspraying everything with OD paint. There are probably specific preservation tips for rubber components, plexiglass sights and opticals, etc.

It might be worth seeing if you can come up with some serial numbers. With the information that is available on the web, there is probably someone that could give you at least a partial history of your vehicle.

larry030767
Just to clarify, are you asking what color scheme or markings should be used?

Or are you asking about the technical aspects of painting a heavy vehicle like a tank? If so, you might want to seek advice from the following:

Military Vehicle Preservation Association

http://www.mvpa.org/

Patton Museum (they have a restoration shop)

http://www.generalpatton.org/

or go on Google and put in "military vehicle collectors" or "military vehicle preservation".

One think I think you would want to avoid is simply just overspraying everything with OD paint. There are probably specific preservation tips for rubber components, plexiglass sights and opticals, etc.

It might be worth seeing if you can come up with some serial numbers. With the information that is available on the web, there is probably someone that could give you at least a partial history of your vehicle.

Gil, Thanks for the leads, this was the type of info I was looking for. The Post has not yet discussed whether to restore to original paint or just to inhibit further damage. Thanks to all who have replied.

• 2 weeks later...
Tom @ Snake River

There is no such thing as restoring the origional paint at this point in time.

It will need to be media blasted and repainted.

For tough to get parts, I would sure get in touch with your states official military museum, they would have access into getting parts or advise from other Gov' museums such as the Patton Museum.

Make sure and do a quality paint job, as that thing will sit outside again for the next 50 years.

Commandcar.jpg

Linedoggie

I would go with a Gloss OD with White Stars just for the weather resistance factors over a flat combat finish unless it's the M48A5

El Bibliotecario

I don't know anything about tanks, but I have some experience with painting military vehicles, and unless you are trying to recreate George Patton's personal tank or somesuch, I wouldn't get hung up over the exact shade of OD. I've seen soldiers mix stuff with paint to get a gloss finish, and I've seen the same effect achieved by wiping the exterior with diesel fuel (I don't recommend that procedure) and I've seen different shades of OD used within the same unit.

It was common for operators to spot paint minor abrasions on military vehicles, and the paint used didn't necessarily match the original. New issue vehicles soon lost their minty appearance. If you want to go to the trouble to sandblast the bad spots on the hull, thats great, but no one ever did this at unit level, where it was said OD actually stood for 'over dirt"--a reference to the manner in which the soldier often applied the paint.

• 4 weeks later...
Stinger Gunner USMC

I dont restore military vehicles but I do restore classic cars and tractors. Another thing to consider is transportation of the vehicle. While sandblasting and painting can be done on the spot with portable air compressors and sandblasters, I would be almost certain that it would not be allowed because of local laws. I know most towns pollution limitations are 1 pint of paint per day per piece of property, so it require finding a paint booth that can handle that large of a vehicle, or getting special permission by your local government.