Ralph R. Swift - Marine WWII

WWIIEnthusiast123

WWIIEnthusiast123

I ordered this off ebay and got it for a suprisingly low amount ($80.00) considering how much there is and its historical value. The grouping I ordered was for a marine in WWII... I don't know what he did for sure, but I'll post a reply when I find out. It includes his military benefits card, some picture of him in uniform one of which is in the suitcase. It's a wool coat w/ no patches except his sgt. chevrons. On the armpit it is stamped "Quartermaster's Department, US Marine Corps 1941" and then "6M". The only thing missing on the jacket is the EGA's on the collar. Also included is his campaign hat w/ EGA which he customized into a "bush hat". Last but certainly not least is his Ka-Bar. It is in good condition (except a small piece missing at the top and the guard needs to be tightened). It's very sharp (I think the precious owner sharpened it) but unfortunately it has no case pinch.gif;) . It is labeled "US Camillus NY". Overall it is a very nice grouping and so far the first ever (grouping) of my collection.

post-5860-1239931634.jpg

post-5860-1239931748.jpg

• 3 years later...

I can tell you a little bit about the man who these items belong to. He is my Grandfather Ralph Roy Swift. He is Still very much alive . I never thought i would see that old hat again . It used to hang on a set of deer antlers over the couch the he would sit . You say you got all that off of ebay ? Well it was all stolen from his home in Dowling Mi after my Grandmother passed away .That old knife i was told by my Gandma had part in removing one of my grandpa's fingers that was giving him trouble after he injured it . He told them it wasn't right that he could not bend it sometime after they fixed it . They told him that was all they could do for him ,,,,, so , off came finger. He used to fool me and my brother and act like he had his whole finger up his nose . Took us a long time to figure out he did not have that finger . We would just look at him with amazement that Grandpa could stick his whole finger up his nose. My grandfather is in a retirement home now and is doing well , very old but well. My mom goes to see him for me from time to time and tells me how he is doing . I live in Texas so I don't get to see him . Call me I would love to talk to ya My name is Chad ,832-729-0806

As noted in a PM, the person who posted this uniform grouping did so over 3-1/2 years ago and has not visited the forum in almost two years so it is highly unlikely he will get the message about your grandpa.

Do you still have his contact info? I hope you'll be able to see that hat again.Your grandfather must have been one tough sob to do that to his own finger? Good luck.

Do you still have his contact info?

Members can be contacted through the messaging system and some members have enabled their email contact information, which you can find by clicking on their user name. But if they have not enabled it, privacy rules prohibit us from revealing email addresses.

• 1 month later...

I am sorry about this turn of events, it is a little surreal to be honest...I believe this is the best outlet for finding the current caretaker of your Grandfathers items and I wish you all the best in this very noble cause.

I think the term Like a dog with a bone is a good mantra for this undertaking !!

Cheers and Gods Speed mate,

Sean

Last but certainly not least is his Ka-Bar,,,It is labeled "US Camillus NY". Overall it is a very nice grouping and so far the first ever (grouping) of my collection.

For the record that is not a WWII knife: with those markings, it was made between 1962 and 1974.

I called my Dad and let him know of the things I have posted on this site and the helpful comments you have all given . He is going to try to get me a police report. This might take some time , as we are in TX and the crime took place in MI. I would be more than happy to pay the person back for any thing he would be out and for shipping to us ..I would not expect him to just give them back .

Thank you ALL for you support , Chad

• 2 months later...
blitzkrieg gsd

So sorry to her of our loss. I'm as sorry to here his items were stolen. Please everyone keep your eyes open for these items. If we can find them we will contact you.