Cammilus Navy MkII

hawkdriver

I found two Cammilus Navy Mk II knives in the grey scabbards and are mint, the paint on the blade shows rub marks from being taken out of the scabbard They are so mint that they look like new production. I would consider them new manufacture, they look that good. The only kicker is that both have the original instruction sheets with them, the instructions are original, placed in a plastic pouch to protect them.

The question is, is Cammilus making reproduction Mk II's? If these are original, what would they be worth?

I appologize, I am at a conference and didn't bring my camera, so no pictures.

If they are marked USN Mk 2, then to the best of my current knowledge, they have not been reproduced. Camillus is now out of business, but continued to make this style knife both in military and commercial versions until recently, but none were marked USN Mark 2.

It is unusual in my limited experience to find the instruction/care sheets with them, especially the later made ones in the plastic sheathes. The instruction sheets have been reproduced, some quite well done.

Value will depend to some extent as to whether blade marked or guard marked. You might check eBay in the completed auctions to get some idea of current selling prices. Remember eBay in general is top dollar, and not totally representative of what they might sell for in a more limited market.

These two are at the very high end of the scale right now. Guard marked would probably bring a little less. Just copy and paste the number into the eBay search line. Right now edged weapons are selling quite a bit lower than they were last summer, good time to buy if you look around some, poor time to sell as I see several sell for less than 50% of what they brought last year.

The two that I am looking at look very similar to the second one. The scabbard on these two are even better. I don't recall seeing anything on the cross guard, so that is good. The paper, if it was faked is a amazing job, but the paper shows wear consistent with age. I guess now, the question is whether the paper age is comensurate with the knife age. Why would the instructions be worn down and the knife be mint. I'll have to go back an look. The price is such that if I decided to turn them, I'm not going to make anything. Guess one more trip is in order.

Thanks,

Well, I did it. I bought both knives. Here are the pictures of the knives, scabbards, and the "original" instruction sheets. Paid top dollar for them, in the $190 range. Some day, when prices come up again, they should make a good investment. You be the judge, good buy?

P.S. Learned Camillus is spelled one "m" and two "l" Learned something new already.

200sgmp.jpg

Here is a picture of both knives , left and right side

2n022pi.jpg

There is no cross guard markings, all on the blade. Camillus NY and U.S.N Mk 2 The long stipes on the blades are where the scabbard is rubbing on the phosphate finish.

16924k8.jpg

The paperwork that came with each. The paper is dried and brittle, so if it is a knock off, they did a good job of it. The paper is marked camillus.

10idvl1.jpg

Both scabbards are good with B.M Co. markings

The instructions/care sheets look good, the repros that I have seen are quite a bit different.

The knives look very good, almost certainly unissued, although I have a couple that came from veterans who simply never carried them.

As you say, they will seem like a bargain one of these days. Quality is always good.

Well, I did it. I bought both knives. Here are the pictures of the knives, scabbards, and the "original" instruction sheets. Paid top dollar for them, in the $190 range. Some day, when prices come up again, they should make a good investment. You be the judge, good buy?

Hawkdriver,

$190 each, or for both of them?

IMHO you made a good investment. In a couple of years, when the economy gets better they'll be worth $250 ea. and they will go up from there. In the meantime, you get to admire them and enjoy owning them. Congratulations are in order!

Thanks, I agree. however, the wife is irritated at how much I spent this week, so I may have to part with one early and keep the other. May take it to KC in May to the show.

Thanks, I agree. however, the wife is irritated at how much I spent this week, so I may have to part with one early and keep the other. May take it to KC in May to the show.

You could give her one as an anniversary present, trust me she would love it once it is in her hand thumbsup.gif

It worked with my wife.

T-Bone

That is a beautiful pair of knives. If it is any consolation I paid about the same for the following knife and scabbard -

composite3-1.jpg

This one is a blade-marked "U.S.N. MARK 2" with "Camillus, N.Y." stamped on the obverse. It also has a nice U.S.N.-stamped leather scabbard made by Boyt in 1943.

I must confess that after seeing your knives and what you paid for them I was a little less concerned about having spent so much for mine :rolleyes:. Isn't it nice that we can offer reassurances to one another that we are not spending too much on our hobby ;) !

Tim

101combatvet

You told the wife? whistling.gif Nice purchase.

You told the wife? whistling.gif Nice purchase.

After I got back from Iraq, she refused to give up the budget, so she "sees" all now. It's like being a child again, confess early or pay later.

101combatvet

Tell her you need a slush fund.

After I got back from Iraq, she refused to give up the budget, so she "sees" all now. It's like being a child again, confess early or pay later.

A friend of mine used to pull his per diem for TDYs out of an ATM with the govt credit card and hang onto it, so it wouldnt be paid on his travel voucher and the wife see it when it was deposited into the bank account.

Or the other option, tell her you need $X for tips and other asundry expenditure, then put everything else on the credit card. Worked this time, but didn't come close to the $500 that I spent this time.

Good question, I will be interested in that answer.

I some googling earlier tonight and could not find anything: I wonder if they could add a nice premium to the value of your new knives?

I can only hope! There is a guy selling a knife on eBay in the exact same condition without the tags, wanting 349 buy it now. I think I am going to take one to the KC show and put it out and see what kind of nibbles I get.