Jr.O.U.A.M. World War I Veteran Medal

SARGE

While researching a new Model 1902 Army Officer Sword I stumbled across the Junior Order of United American Mechanics. It seems that they are a patriotic organization with pre-Civil War roots and issued a Jr.O.U.A.M. medal to members who had served in World War I.

NJOUAMmedalWWI.jpg

This organization was a spin-off of the Order of United American Mechanics patriotic organization. The Order of United American Mechanics was a natavist organization founded during the anti-alien riots of 1844-45 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Junior Order of United American Mechanics was founded in 1853 in Germantown, Pennsylvania and is still in existence today as a patriotic and fraternal organization.

The sword is a standard Model 1902 Army Officer Sword that was utilized by the Jr.O.U.A.M. and is discussed under the Edged Weapons section of the forum.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry315215

Here is a view of a Jr.O.U.A.M. militia drill team from some time before WWI.

JrOUAM226DegreeTeam.jpg

And here is a view of the sword blade for the Jr.O.U.A.M.

JrOUAM_blade.JPG

Thanks Sarge. You sword has to be a rare one and it is in great condition. I had not heard of that organization before. Congrats!

• 11 years later...

I just bought one of the New Jersey Council Jr OUAM WWI service medals. Does anybody have a record of how many were issued? I am guessing they are quite common, but would be interesting to know just how common

thanks

Rob

Rob,

I don't have a good grasp on how common these service medals are.  I suspect they are similar to the UCV wartime service medals, which are actually not that common... or at least don't come on the market commonly.  

Kevin, do you have a feeling for the commonality of these Jr. OUAM medals?

George

5 minutes ago, SARGE said:

Rob,

I don't have a good grasp on how common these service medals are.  I suspect they are similar to the UCV wartime service medals, which are actually not that common... or at least don't come on the market commonly.  

Kevin, do you have a feeling for the commonality of these Jr. OUAM medals?

George

In my experience there are a lot of the NJ Jr. OUAM medals around.  There always seem to be a couple listed on eBay.  The Virginia State Council of the Jr. OUAM also issued one in the same design as I recall.  The city of Calumet Jr, OUAM also issued one in a different design.  Unfortunately I haven't figured out which "Calumet" it was.  There are several cities/towns named Calumet in the US.

Dennis