Multicam

RedLegGI

I've been seeing a lot of the multicam pattern stuff showing up on ebay as of late, and would just like some details about it. I've been able to find out that it seems to be going to special troops so far, and that the army might be adopting it? Also that the 'Propper' company is producing sets of this for guys to buy?

My question relates to this being correct issue and or future issue potential. If its going to be issued to us eventually, I'd like to pick up a set now just to be prepared. If its not, then what units/volumes that were issued are out there?

Thanks!

Dent

bravo_2_zero

To be honest, the only people who wear this on mass are people who shoot each other with yellow BB's. There are PMC's in the field that wear it too, i think Blackwater bought a lot of it.

Some SF teams field it but very few and far between. I know ;) the British SAS/UKSF field it when on ops with the US.

Anyways here are a few photo's

USAF Security Forces DAGRE at Emerald Warrior

70dxrc.jpg

33zegec.jpg

292rzt0.jpg

There is rumor that it is some day going to be the uniform of issue, however I don't think it will. The pattern is what was used for the last big push for the Ground Warrior system. Personally, I don't think it will ever make it as the pattern, as it was used in the experiments and I think the Army is to ashamed to admit to the mistake of the ACU pattern. The other problem is that thhe pattern is already out on the street and as said, the air softers have already taken this over and I don't think the army will go there. I personally think that what you might see is a digital pattern in the Crye colors before the Army wholesale acceps the Crye.

bravo_2_zero

The reason why the US Army didn't adopt this was because Crye wouldn't just supply the BDU/CCU they wanted to supply the Army with a new body armor system and pouches. The US Army at the time had just gone with the Interceptor and MOLLE system and Crye wouldn't just to the camo multicam covers. That is why it was dropped despite multicam topping the table in the field tests.

Funny enough the British Army have come up with DPM Multicam for use with body armor and PLCE , it takes the Pre-90's Falklands fracture print and uses the colors green,orange,brown and desert pink.

Lets face it, what is the base color of the Crye? OD, a color our for fathers figured out a long time ago. So, it's not that the Crye is that great of a pattern, it's that the color is the color that has worked since the early ages in most environments. Take the current ACU pattern and make the colors the same as the Crye and it would work just as well. Matter of fact, the cammo guys will tell you that after 100 yards, all camo paterns become ineffective as camoflage and the dominate mixed color is what saves your bacon.

Lets face it, what is the base color of the Crye? OD, a color our for fathers figured out a long time ago. So, it's not that the Crye is that great of a pattern, it's that the color is the color that has worked since the early ages in most environments. Take the current ACU pattern and make the colors the same as the Crye and it would work just as well. Matter of fact, the cammo guys will tell you that after 100 yards, all camo paterns become ineffective as camoflage and the dominate mixed color is what saves your bacon.

Most camouflage is based on the inch pattern. At 100 yards or less, camouflage patterns of 1" function and beyond 100 yards becomes a solid color because the normal human eye cannot discern smaller, similarly to camera and rifle scope functions of 1X is what you see at 100 yards, etc.

200 yards, 2", 300 yards 3", and 400 yards 4". You will note on the old woodland pattern camo the sizes of the patterns were in the 3-4" range except for the back dog-bone which is 7-8"

Multi-cam has a fade pattern built in where the colors fade from dark to lighter in the colors and have what appears to be overspray within the pattern. This reduces the blob effect of other camouflage patterns.

Digital camouflage patterns have the closest to zero blob effect. The digital patterns also were designed to defeat night vision units, where multi-cam does not.

Crye Precision sells their product which I own. Color and cloth variation #1 but military grade 50/50 nyco.

Tru-Spec sells the TRU uniform similar to the ACU. Color and cloth variation #2 but allegedly military grade 50/50 nyco.

Tru-Spec sells a BDU uniform in 65-35 poplin, color and cloth variation #3.

Propper sells both a BDU and ACU cut uniform 60-40 ripstop, color and cloth variation #4. This cloth feels like waxed nylon and after 8-10 washings becomes more wearable, but now faded.

Now there is the under body armor version from each with the cool shirt center and camouflaged sleeves.

At one point these were the only authorized sellers of genuine Crye Precision cloth and pattern, and the rip-off patterns were banned from e-bay sales.

My SWAT team tested Multicam by Tru-Spec and Propper with mixed satisfaction on the cloth lots used by these two manufacturers. The pattern is extremely effective and works. The pattern becomes less effective when it fades. The Propper wax feel sets really suck when faded, glowing like a light bulb under Night Vision devices, even when washed in UV free detergent only. The UV treatment does not reduce this effect as the Propper sets fade.

The original and genuine Multicam sets have been the best we tested. But at nearly 3 times the price and they have zero advantage over the others in pocket and cargo design. My opinion is they are overdone and too many useless pockets.

For what we do, ACU sucks. Real USMC Marpat with a half fade worked nicely 99% of the time. The 511 Woodland worked as well as half fade Marpat. New Marpat is too dark for most of what we do. The reproduction Marpat also sucks and does not last well.

1/3 of my department are Reservists, many with 3 tours in the bad place, and only the SF units have used multi-cam in Afghanistan. This use was region specific and mission specific. None of my guys returned home with any of it.

The most persistent rumor, and rumor it is only, is that 2010 Multicam is going to replace the ACU. Every one of my guys has been told that in 2010, the ACU is going to be replaced. Rumors abound and no one knows for sure.

And don't get me wrong about multi-cam, I like it enough that it is my one stop shop for hunting as it works everywhere I go. I just don't see the Army knuckling under and accepting it since it is already out there.

To be honest, the only people who wear this on mass are people who shoot each other with yellow BB's. There are PMC's in the field that wear it too, i think Blackwater bought a lot of it.

Some SF teams field it but very few and far between. I know ;) the British SAS/UKSF field it when on ops with the US.

Anyways here are a few photo's

USAF Security Forces DAGRE at Emerald Warrior

The USAF where the lowest ASVAB sore CAN get you the coolest toys! :)

Come on, you know it is true.

T-Bone

And don't get me wrong about multi-cam, I like it enough that it is my one stop shop for hunting as it works everywhere I go. I just don't see the Army knuckling under and accepting it since it is already out there.

I would agree if it were not that I hear about and see multicam everytime I go to JRTC.

It is being fielded by OGA operators in places where khakis and jeans won't do.

T

Also.....Polish forces are using it...or at least a version of it...I know SF units like GROM & FORMOZA are using it and I have heard that some Airborne units are using it as well....but their version is made by KAMA....

Steven

• 1 month later...

I have seen a few guys wearing multicam uniforms here in Afghanistan. Obviously US Military SOF guys, but not sure what type. Jeans, t-shirt, beard and multicam baseball cap seems to be the standard SF "walking out dress". The classic "we're being sneaky by not wearing uniforms but EVERYONE knows who we are" look. The prevelence of mutlicam baseball caps (the kind with all the velcro patches on it) with SOF guys would lead me to believe they also have a matching uniform to wear on missions. I've also seen uniforms in the ACU style (but with lots of different fancy features) made in a desert MARPAT color being used by USN special ops folks. Some neat stuff.

Multicam was out when the Universal Camouflage trials were done between 2002-2004 (ACU pattern was the result). It was called Scorpion Pattern.

http://www.defenselink.mil/DODCMSShare/New...D-9880W-068.jpg

It was the most effective in woodland ambient trial, the least effective in desert environment.

Well, if you look at the crye website it seems to render the wearer invisible in every photo they shoot; maybe it will camouflage you even outside crye's courtyard :lol:

here is the natick report

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2004issc/wednesday/dugas.ppt

there are photos coming out, expecially from pararescue jumpers wearing the new generation models by Crye.

Maybe it won't become a standard issue, but surely they are buying them in small numbers, i found this contract award

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&amp...amp;au=&ck=

Mix all with private purchase materials and someone will have a hard time in the future to have something collectable... crying.gif

ahso!

I loaned some of my 1st gen CRYE sets to a SOC assigned unit to test, they got them approved and use them now.

Got mine back though.... thumbsup.gif

.......did not throw that good of a party.

As a very small tactical nylon maker, I need to practice my party-fu. Multicam is getting crazy with all of the matching webbing,

edge binding, etc. that goes with it now.

I spoke w/ Caleb at 08 SHOT for quite a bit, he was saying that he had no desire to make anything but the material. He just wants to supply the "raw" Crye licensed material to manufacturers. Not sure if that plan has changed.

I spoke w/ Caleb at 08 SHOT for quite a bit, he was saying that he had no desire to make anything but the material. He just wants to supply the "raw" Crye licensed material to manufacturers. Not sure if that plan has changed.

AK,

Crye has two other companies manufacturing their materials now...one for their fabrics, the other for their webbings. I hate having

to order from their contractors because of the minimum orders and limited availability but it all looks so cute when it matches on

my final products.