Question about aviation cadet wings

cutiger83

My sister found aviation cadet wings in an antique store. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture so I am going from her description. They are gold and about 2-3 inches long. I found a picture on the internet and sent it to her and she said it was the same thing. However, she said the propeller is gold and most pictures I have seen it is silver. The price was $59.00 which I thought was a bit high. Do any of you know how much these wings might be worth? I believe it is a hat pin because it had the screw in the middle and posts on either end.

I know it is hard to go by this description but do any of you hav any idea how much it might be worth?

Thanks a bunch...Kat

I saw those on e-bay but didn't know if those were gold-plated and cheaper than the older versions. I didn't know if there was a difference between the newer and older versions....thanks for your help....Kat

militarymodels

The propeller came in gold plated originally and they may be faded after time. I don't think any of them are solid gold unless jewler made. I've seen most still have the gold on them.

The values depend on if they are sterling or not and the conditions. In general, if they're marked sterling or maker marked, they go about 30% to %50 higher. The average price for the unmarked cadet wings is about $15.

Regards,

Lonny

Lonny,

Thanks so much for the great explanation. Unfortunately, my sister and I live on totally opposite sides of the United States so all I had to go on was her explanation over the phone. This helps alot. Next time, I will ask her to look at the back to see if it says Sterling. I thought the price seemed to high which is why I told her not to get it. Now I am really glad I said no.

Thanks again...Kat