VIETNAM BEOGAM PATTERNS

beogam

• 3 months later...

Here's a find from last week. I believe it's a tailor made 3rd pattern, Beogam 4 pocket jacket. Looks like it was made from another garment or two as theres evidence of stitching from removed pockets on the arm and back panel. There are few shadows/stitch marks/ from a bottom pocket and patches that had been removed at some point. Two patches on the back and one on the right chest pocket. No markings ie size, tailor etc. 5 of the original green shaved edge buttons remain. Two of thepost-104659-0-41622000-1375639732.jpg replacements are the earlier US GI buttons. One OD one OG. Heavy weight cotton twill. Tightly woven with smooth, flat handle. Fits around a US Medium.

Here's a back pic.

post-104659-0-76928200-1375640311.jpg

Chest Pockets.

post-104659-0-23934500-1375640492.jpg

Bottom Pocket Pic.

post-104659-0-95999200-1375640618.jpg

I just picked up a beogam shirt and wanted to post it for the group. I'm pretty sure it's a good one but I'm open to any information from the advanced collectors here.

post-265-0-07528200-1375912366.jpg

It's cut like an OG-107 fatigue shirt with plastic buttons, made of a very lightweight material. I'm sure it was comfortable to wear but wouldn't have held up to heavy field use at all. I know plastic buttons came after metal ones and the cut is later than the shirts with pleated pockets. I've read through the whole thread and seen references to at least two different patterns of camouflage. Can anyone tell me which this is and approximately when it would have been produced?

The markings are different than any posted on the thread so far; instead of a cloth label it has an "M" stamped in red ink.

post-265-0-55527700-1375912799.jpg

Has anyone seen this on other beogam garments? It looks very similar to inked size markings I've seen stamped on theater-procured headgear.

The collar shows the characteristic zig-zag stitching of these shirts:

post-265-0-91275100-1375913050.jpg

I picked up the shirt because it appeared to match a pair of trousers I picked up a few years ago (see post #6 in http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/57779-vietnam-ranger-advisors-grouping/).

post-265-0-11738600-1375913176.jpg

The camouflage pattern and colors are identical, except that the shirt has been washed a few times. The only other difference I found is that the buttons on the pants are black and those on the shirt are green. (It's a little hard to see in the photo because of glare.)

Here's a closer view comparing the buttons.

post-265-0-03705100-1375913300.jpg

That's about it - I'd appreciate any further information anyone could provide!

bravo_2_zero

Here's a closer view comparing the buttons.

attachicon.gifDSC04574.JPG

That's about it - I'd appreciate any further information anyone could provide!

Buttons are British tropical buttons from the #9 tropical uniforms. The buttons were made in green & brown.

The tropical DPM's were made from the early 60's up to late 90's.

Buttons are British tropical buttons from the #9 tropical uniforms. The buttons were made in green & brown.

The tropical DPM's were made from the early 60's up to late 90's.

The beogam trousers came directly from a veteran's foot locker so I'm absolutely certain they're correct. The shirt's provenance is unknown but the camouflage pattern matches the trousers exactly and the buttons are identical except for color. They also have the shaved rims on the back side as is typical of Asian-made buttons. Those details may not show up in the photos but I'm pretty sure these aren't British buttons.

bravo_2_zero

The beogam trousers came directly from a veteran's foot locker so I'm absolutely certain they're correct. The shirt's provenance is unknown but the camouflage pattern matches the trousers exactly and the buttons are identical except for color. They also have the shaved rims on the back side as is typical of Asian-made buttons. Those details may not show up in the photos but I'm pretty sure these aren't British buttons.

Could be copied from British then ? You would have found these also on indo wind proofs surplus British war stock as used by the French.

ELVIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING....

The markings are different than any posted on the thread so far; instead of a cloth label it has an "M" stamped in red ink.

attachicon.gifDSC04567.JPG

Has anyone seen this on other beogam garments? It looks very similar to inked size markings I've seen stamped on theater-procured headgear.

I have a pair of pant that has a red "M" ink stamped in the waistband.

The camouflage pattern of the pants is the same as your shirt, the material of the pants is very thin.

I bought these pants about 10 or 15 years ago from Bill Brooks.

The pants have a button closure and I remember there was a smaller (almost bright) green button on the inside of the pants which was sewn very loose and long gone since.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses from Elvis & Owen. Can you give me any more information on what you mean by Vietnamese-made beogam? Was it produced for indigenous forces as opposed to US troops? The trousers came from the estate of an officer who served as some sort of advisor - I haven't quite been able to nail down his service record. However, there was other indigenous clothing in his estate. Any additional information on the manufacture or use of this pattern would be very helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

Your shirt and pants are in the same pattern of BeoGam wore by the Vietnamese Seal (with a Duck Hunter bush hat), you can find it in the beginning of this topic in one of my post

Thanks, Andrei!

Your shirt and pants are in the same pattern of BeoGam wore by the Vietnamese Seal (with a Duck Hunter bush hat), you can find it in the beginning of this topic in one of my post

Thanks, Copran! My set is a different cut -- it doesn't have padded shoulders, knees, or elbows -- but the camouflage pattern looks the same. Mine is also unmarked like yours except for a stamped "M" in the shirt.

• 3 months later...

Here's a find from last week. I believe it's a tailor made 3rd pattern, Beogam 4 pocket jacket. Looks like it was made from another garment or two as theres evidence of stitching from removed pockets on the arm and back panel. There are few shadows/stitch marks/ from a bottom pocket and patches that had been removed at some point. Two patches on the back and one on the right chest pocket. No markings ie size, tailor etc. 5 of the original green shaved edge buttons remain. Two of theattachicon.gifBoegam web photo-52.jpg replacements are the earlier US GI buttons. One OD one OG. Heavy weight cotton twill. Tightly woven with smooth, flat handle. Fits around a US Medium.

Hi Klaxon

Just superb and hard find one !!!

Regards Jérôme

• 4 weeks later...

Any ideas on these? Thrift store find in the 90s. Thought it was made by a housewife for hunting but bought them cheap(appreciated the effort to make). Later learned the paint in the trousers was from a WWII USMC shelter half. Jacket appears to follow a WWII USMC pattern.

Took them to a show in '97 for info(wondered if it was MACV or something) and was quickly offered $150 by a dealer. I declined but with all the Ebay drama now I guess I should have taken it?

Dave

IMG_7110.jpg

IMG_7112.jpg

IMG_7114.jpg

IMG_7113.jpg

vintageproductions

worn pre-Vietnam by recon Marines on Okinawa.

Some used these suits in Vietnam and found out they were way to hot to wear.

Who collects that era? Occupational only? Were they used in Korea?

Just curious - I'm not a dealer but thought of taking them to SOS for trade.

The more I know........

Thanks for the info!

Dave

American Graffiti

Made from poncho or groundsheet fabric, it appears they have a unit stencil (yellow and black) on the inside pants pocket bag.

Pretty cool, agreed Okinawa made for sure.

AG

vintageproductions

No post Korea. Most likely 1958-1965 period.

I think the yellow piece of material behind the fly is just some civilian material that was used. I had a boonie made out of this same material that had some odd civilian material like that on the inside.

Interestingly, I haven't found any civi material. The yellow at the pocket is part of a diamond stencil. This is why I assumed it was a shelter half at one time. Not sure if it stands for 8th marines or what. A yellow hash is off to the side. 1/8 marines?

Dave

1390502335_zpsbbb46f4b.jpg

1390502293_zpsaf842548.jpg

Dave