VIETNAM BEOGAM PATTERNS

beogam

I was looking through the duck hunter camouflage clothing I've accumulated over the years, and I ran across two pairs of trousers that are apparently made by the same manufacturer. The shading is a little different but the camouflage pattern and cut are clearly the same.

post-265-1281740747.jpg

They show all the signs of Asian manufacture including YKK zippers and small green buttons with shaved rims. Both have large cargo pockets on the side of the legs but no back pockets. There are no tags or markings that I could find. I read through the entire beogam thread and I don't think these trousers match the typical beogam pattern used in Vietnam. The most easily identifiable feature on my trousers is the small green shape that looks like Pac-man -- you can see it in numerous spots on the lower leg of the trousers on the left. Are these a type of issue trouser or just an example of period hunting clothing? If these are issue trousers, what cut would the shirt be?

I did find a pair of trousers with a similar camouflage pattern pictured in the beogam thread (see the first four posts on this page: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...924&st=740). The cut, however, is different.

Here's a closer picture showing more detail of the cargo pockets and the camouflage pattern:

post-265-1281741586.jpg

Any information on these trousers would be greatly appreciated!

Bill

Hunting .

As used by some advisors as stop gap camouflage in the early war years .

The cut follows the US WW2 herring bone combat pants as used by Rangers on D-Day.

owen

I'm a little slow on knowing what patterns are called, but this spot camo is about 1963...note the early One-Zero jacket (and the size on the man with the Ray Bans!) with reinforced seam. Ed

post-3653-1281911942.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Leatherwringer
HI ALL NEXT YEAR MY FULL COLLECTION FOR SALE

CHEERS J

thanks for the head start........now I gotta start a secret camo fund......I will be ready for your sale!!

Corpsmancollector
HI ALL NEXT YEAR MY FULL COLLECTION FOR SALE

CHEERS J

J,

I'm sorry to hear that. But on the up side I'll start saving and have a nice set of beogam from you :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
nguoi tien su
My little participation to this thread

old Commercial US hunting jacket that i bought in Saigon in 96.

post-112.jpg

as you can see it not a shirt but a proper hunter jackets, it look real old i used to wear it to drive arround on my motorbike, it did cost me 7$ at that time.

this jacket is not suitable for lowland Vietnam as its fairly to hoot to wear, but it s really nice for the central higlands were it can get pretty cold sometimes.

i m not sure when this jacket came to Vn, and for what purpose ? the zippers are marked SERVAL.

it has some fieldrepairs, done by myself because it had a big hole in the sleeve.

I actually love this jacket and still wear it some times.

Alex

Alex,

Here are two shots of a jacket very similar to the one you've posted earlier. It is worn by Brigadier Gen. Lê Quang Lưỡng (Airborne Commander in 1972-1975, Colonel at the time of the photos). Those were taken in Cambodia.

thisat10.jpg

tuongl10.jpg

:thumbsup:

hochiminhtrail

Thanks NTS, yes it s this type of jacket, one time a Vietnamese talked to me while i was wearing this jacket and he told me he wore the same type while he was with theb LLDB, i guesed it was bla bla at the time, just to start a converstation, but it really looks that it was worn during the war.

alex

Alex,

Here are two shots of a jacket very similar to the one you've posted earlier. It is worn by Brigadier Gen. Lê Quang Lưỡng (Airborne Commander in 1972-1975, Colonel at the time of the photos). Those were taken in Cambodia.

thisat10.jpg

tuongl10.jpg

:thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...
giconceptsjw

I know next to nothing about Beogam / Duck Hunter camouflage so I was hoping to find out more about this helmet cover I found. I actually got it from a friend who collects WWI items so he only wanted $10 for it. I have no idea how he ended up with it. I took several detailed pics of it so here they are. Any info about what this was used for and by who or when would be great, Thanks!

Happy New Year to everyone as well!

JW

post-5404-1293841106.jpg

post-5404-1293841236.jpg

post-5404-1293841272.jpg

post-5404-1293841309.jpg

post-5404-1293841350.jpg

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any info on KIFFE New York? This company came up in conversation a while back, other than seeing the odd label here and there I have never read much about them.

Did they make clothing in the 60's etc? Any info would be good!

Many Thanks

• 2 months later...

post-37519-1304896961.jpg This is a Salvation Army pick up. I think it is a GI bring back. It is marked Saigon Tu Dou Street Hong Kong Tailor shop. Note the odd color green. I will post a picture of the tag latter and pocket details latter

post-37519-1304897600.jpg[shirt Tag

Pocket detailspost-37519-1304897772.jpg

post-37519-1304896961.jpg This is a Salvation Army pick up. I think it is a GI bring back. It is marked Saigon Tu Dou Street Hong Kong Tailor shop. Note the odd color green. I will post a picture of the tag latter and pocket details latter

Nice pick, it s a local made Duck Hunter camo shirt, did you find the matching pants ?

Nice pick, it s a local made Duck Hunter camo shirt, did you find the matching pants ?

No I just found the shirt. I keep my eyes open for any Duck Hunter/ Beogam. The Salvation Army was near a area popular with retired NCOs of different service branches. I found it in the mid 1980s and saw the tag I assumed it was somthing a Soldier, Sailor, Marine or Airmen brought back from Vietnam.

Hong Kong made 100% cotton set found at thrift store near a USMC base. I figure they are civilian hunting clothing, but they have a odd base color and are early 1970s vintage

post-37519-1305498307.jpg

post-37519-1305498514.jpg

Made in Hong Kong tag

• 2 weeks later...

post-37519-1306762012.jpg

I know next to nothing about Beogam / Duck Hunter camouflage so I was hoping to find out more about this helmet cover I found. I actually got it from a friend who collects WWI items so he only wanted $10 for it. I have no idea how he ended up with it. I took several detailed pics of it so here they are. Any info about what this was used for and by who or when would be great, Thanks!

Happy New Year to everyone as well!

JW

Late war photo of non advisor Army troop wearing duck hunter steel pot cover with M 16 birdcage flash supressor.

I have one more better quality photo I will post latter. It looks like KIFFE

I finally found the hat to match the uniforms my father had made for us in Vietnam, unfortunately it has had a rough life:

P1090080.jpg

P1090078.jpg

P1090077.jpg

P1090076.jpg

There is no manufacturer or tailors markings on it.

Harv that is a great piece of history. What time frame did your father have the set made for you?

I have been viewing B&W US Army films from the 1962/64 era and you can see ARVN troops wearing that same hat. The hat's distinctive heavy weave is clearly visable in certain shots.

HI ALL,

Norton very cool shirt I LOVE IT !!!!!!! Great TAILOR MADE Thanks for your pics J

Harv very cool bush hat !!!!!