VIETNAM BEOGAM PATTERNS

beogam

Here is a nice picture I snatched from an eBay auction.

The seller offers it as a Vietnam period shot. What kind of shirt/jacket this Marine is wearing ?

post-467-1228773068.jpg

"Duplicates of this photo may be reordered at anytime. Please refer to 23143. Life studios, 207 N. Hill St. Oceanside, Calif 92054 Phone 714 722-1177" (original caption on the back)

A

At a quick glance I would say a M42 jacket in Frogskin.

There is no right breast pocket and you can see the Herring- bone weave in the fabric .

Maybee a studio jacket ??

owen

Few pics of the rangers wearing BeoGam shirt, one made in Vietnam cut that you can see from the beginning of this topic (with the Vietnamese seal), these pics were captured from CBS news from the Tet offensive with Gen Loan (few minutes before he shot the VC prisoner).

When Gen. Loan shot the V.C. in the head it was a picture that was seen around the world. Discussing this event with some of my Vietnamese friends I would like to share the possible reason this happened. According to the story related to me prior to the shooting Gen. Loan was informed that one of his staff members and his family was massacred in their home by the V.C. One of the individuals killed was his godson.

nguoi tien su

34BDQ,

This is on extract of a very interesting article on the subject :

But the really disturbing image is of Nguyen Ngoc Loan shooting a man. Everybody has seen this picture or the film of the incident. A cruel and angry South Vietnamese General executes what appears to be a defenseless Vietcong prisoner. Eddie Adams, The AP photographer who snapped the photo, earned a Pulitzer Prize for the picture. That picture helped galvanize the anti-war effort in the United States. Hubert Humphrey, at the time the photo was taken, was on the verge of challenging President Johnson for the Democratic nomination for president. The photo (and subsequent NBC film) helped stir sentiment to the point that Johnson announced he would not seek a second term only two months later. It is one of the most powerful icons for everything that was supposedly wrong with that war. It is precisely the sort of professional coup that a reporter who's "Dying to Tell the Story" dreams of getting.

Except Eddie Adams wishes he never took the picture.

After the photo was seen around the world, the AP assigned Adams to hang out with General Loan. He discovered that Loan was a beloved hero in Vietnam, to his troops and the citizens. "He was fighting our war, not their war, our war, and every — all the blame is on this guy," Adams told NPR (in what may have been the most surprisingly courageous NPR interview I've ever heard). Adams learned that Loan fought for the construction of hospitals in South Vietnam and unlike the popular myths, demonstrated the fact that at least some South Vietnamese soldiers really did want to fight for their country and way of life.

Just moments before that photo had been taken, several of his men had been gunned down. One of his soldiers had been at home, along with the man's wife and children. The Vietcong had attacked during the holiday of Tet, which had been agreed upon as a time for a truce. As it turned out, many of the victims of the NC and North Vietnamese were defenseless. Some three thousand of them were discovered in a mass grave outside of Hue after the Americans reoccupied the area. The surprise invasion, turned out to be a military disaster for the Vietcong, but a huge strategic victory because of its effect on American resolve.

But at the time, all of this was irrelevant to people like Loan. It was an ugly, shocking assault. The execution of the prisoner was a reprisal. It was an ugly thing to be sure, but wars, civil wars especially, are profoundly ugly things.

Adams wrote in Time magazine, "The general killed the Viet Cong; I killed the general with my camera. Still photographs are the most powerful weapon in the world. People believe them, but photographs do lie, even without manipulation. They are only half-truths. What the photograph didn't say was, 'What would you do if you were the general at that time and place on that hot day, and you caught the so-called bad guy after he blew away one, two or three American soldiers?'"

The picture that Adams took, the picture that CNN thinks is such an atrocious and ignoble deed, ruined Loan's life. More to the point, it didn't expand on "our right to know." It didn't answer questions, or give us the story. It deceived. It gave no context. It confirmed the biases of the anti-war journalists, and they used it to further their agenda.

Loan fled Vietnam during the fall of Saigon for the US. He eventually moved to Burke, Virginia. He tried to open a restaurant in Northern Virginia, but when the identity of its owner became known, it closed down. Protestors circled the establishment venting their fashionable, safe, outrage.

The two men stayed in touch, and Adams tried to apologize many times.

"He was very sick, you know, he had cancer for a while," he told NPR. "And I talked to him on the phone and I wanted to try to do something, explaining everything and how the photograph destroyed his life and he just wanted to try to forget it. He said let it go. And I just didn't want him to go out this way."

General Loan died a year and a month ago. He left a wife and five kids. Most of the obituaries were, like the photograph that ruined his life, two dimensional and unforgiving. Adams sent flowers with a card that read, "I'm sorry. There are tears in my eyes.

Few people know the truth about that photo... A shame...

NTS

nguoi tien su

Leigh, there are several different articles on the subject :

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn41...20/ai_n14585547

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=M2QxN...jhlZjg3NTk0NzE=

I can't find another one I read years ago dealing with General Loan and also Kim Phuc, the young vietnames girl who was burnt during a napalm raid and of course the power of the photos, the role of the media during the VN war.

NTS

• 3 weeks later...

post-467-1230930260.jpg

ARVN maybe, maybe Not - 1967

From flickr.com, 7th Surgical Hospital (MA) Vietnam's photostream.

post-467-1230934815.jpg

Chu Lai, South Vietnam. ARVN troops.

From flickr.com, missouriman57's photostream

post-467-1231115488.jpg

The PRU team loading up at the Embassy House compound to leave on a mission in Dinh Tuong Province in 1969. (in My Tho in Vietnam's Mekong Delta)

From flickr.com, Lance & Cromwell's photostream

Beogam and Tigers.

Constabulary

I´m not that much in this camo pattern but maybe some one can help me.

Is this a CISO beo gam pattern? think.gif

IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7793.jpg

IMG_7795.jpg

Hi,

I think yours is not CISO Made beret but rather a commercial made one without liner. Clearly the camo pattern is not CISO made.The hard patch inside where you can sew on the flash is not like the one we usually see with Vietnam era beret.

I add here some pic of the pants I ve bought recently, the pattern is still a Tailor pattern, the cut is the same as some Tiger Stripe pants (the one in Asian cut). Rear button sewn flat, waist tab, drawstring cords... only the buttons look greener than TS Buttons.

Constabulary said:
I´m not that much in this camo pattern but maybe some one can help me.

Is this a CISO beo gam pattern? think.gif

IMG_7794.jpg

IMG_7793.jpg

IMG_7795.jpg

post-1523-1231280001.jpg

post-1523-1231280016.jpg

Close up of the pockets. the construction is the same of the Tiger pockets.

post-1523-1231280068.jpg

After looking at the beret for some time I think it is South American or something like that .

I seen a similar one over the holidays but it was lined and had some Central Amercia type patch on it .

Remember these came into Vogue late 70s ,also I dont see any of the classic Beogam shapes present .

Still good for wearing to the disco for a boogie .

Ps

I have only ever seen one real Beogam beret and it was in the lightweight material and was lined with a green muslin material .

owen

Hi Owen,

quick question before slumber....was that a full or partial lining of the beret in the green material?

Patrick.

P

This was an LLDB beret with a full liner .

This was NOT like the more common black lined tiger- ERDL berets that seem to be plentlfull.

There was also the plastic diamond present in the crown .

I gave it to Paul Marildi so it is good hands .

It will come back to daddy one day so when it happens I will show it .

Also the main body was the lightweight fabric as used in the patrol cap so that is cool .

owen

Thought you all would like to see this photo, identified as having been taken in Viet Nam in 1966. It's a big guy, and you can tell the uniform is too small for him. Check out the WWII-style double buckle boots. Probably hard to find shoes in his size, too.

post-70-1231292911.jpg

Constabulary

Thanks - thats what I thought but was not sure beause there are so many petterns.

I have one more beret of which I´m sure that it is beo bag but I have to dig it out. I´ll pots pictures later.

Thought you all would like to see this photo, identified as having been taken in Viet Nam in 1966. It's a big guy, and you can tell the uniform is too small for him. Check out the WWII-style double buckle boots. Probably hard to find shoes in his size, too.

post-70-1231292911.jpg

Gr8 pic thanks for sharing thumbsup.gif

I would guess that the pic was taken earlier than 1966, but thats just speculation.

The uniform looks like a "Kamo" brand duck hunter cammo.

I love the Madsen m/50 SMGs. :D