VIETNAM BEOGAM PATTERNS

beogam

Austin_Militaria

I picked this Beogam Boonie up a while ago. I had asked the flea market dealer if he had anything else with this same pattern. He stated that he sold the jacket and pants the weekend before. The person who got it obviously did not know what it was or they would have purchased this boonie too. The Lt. Col device is exactly how it was found. No maker label.

post-2578-0-55579300-1390954158.jpg

A shot of the top.

post-2578-0-45646300-1390954222.jpg

Austin_Militaria

What is the distinct feature that tells you that? Color? Pattern? Style?

It is tailor made. Here is a pic of the inside.

post-2578-0-19312100-1390957758.jpg

vintageproductions

Rob, it is the shape, the construction, the pattern, etc. This is what you would find in surplus stores and sporting goods shops when we were kids.

• 2 months later...

Here's a box as sent home from Nam.

Charles j O'Rourke had some custom spots made along with a combined name tape.

He also had a parachute cowboy hat which is pictured

Box contained numerous photos .

Passes and letters.

Enjoy

Owen Posted Image

Posted Imageopened box and cowboy hat

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Imagesome of the good stuff inside the box !

Posted Imagenice to see a cowboy being used in country with pics to back it up.

This grouping will be featured in whole in my up coming Vietnam Camouflage book.

Owen

TrenchfootJoe66

Dude, that is some serious stuff. Nice one, and thanks for the teaser. Recon, CAP or Advisor perhaps ?

TrenchfootJoe66

Its hard to say for sure, just going from the photos. but it looks like that shirt at least saw a some useage. It appears to have lost a little color saturation anyway. Do any of the photos show him wearing that jacket ?It would be neat to see. My general impression being that non standard uniforms were somewhat less common with the Marines than say, the US Army. Ive had a few Marine groupings that had tailor or custom made cammo uniforms with them but they usually appeared to have seen little or no wear as compared to the issue stuff in the same grouping. Sorry but the "Militaria Nerd" in me is really coming on strong today. I guess Ill have to wait for the book to really get a better look !

TrenchfootJoe66

Roger that

Cant wait for the book

I can see it now... in the distant future, Tiger Stripe scholars will fall into two distinct and acrimonious camps. On the one side will be the "Johnsonists" and on the other, the upstart "Kammonistas" The study of Material Culture will never be the same...lol

• 2 months later...
Yankee Trader Relics

I am interested in finding out more about BEO GAM patterns, specifically with respect to white tags and the red letter size. Is it safe to say when encountered these are generally Asian commercial patterns (ie. Hong Kong, Japan, Okinawa)? I recently acquired a set of BEO GAMs at the OVMS club show, and the tag in the trousers is white with a red letter L. Along with these came a South Vietnamese Ranger beret which I have listed on my website (Yankee Trader Relics). I was told this all came from one vet source.

USCapturephotos

Please help camo collectors. This is not my normal area but after reading more posts I am becoming intrigued.

First the jacket. It does have the metal 13 star buttons. Thoughts? I can find no tags or markings inside this heavily washed piece. Any chance of it being military used or do you all think most likely used by an actual hunter? Rough value?

Second up. The boonie hat I found yesterday at a yard sale. I assume this is commercially made...but my question is why in Korea? Also what vintage do you think this is? Rough value? Thanks for your help.

Paul

post-100030-0-50556700-1403967071.jpg

another view

post-100030-0-03775100-1403967327.jpg

and another

post-100030-0-96876800-1403967368.jpg

and another

post-100030-0-99221400-1403967478.jpg

And the hat.

post-100030-0-24602500-1403967510.jpg

and another.

post-100030-0-54327800-1403967710.jpg

and another.

post-100030-0-14265900-1403967732.jpg

and last.

Thanks for your help!

Paul

post-100030-0-60262800-1403967764.jpg

USCapturephotos

Thanks Vintage. Korea was exporting hunting clothing as well? 1960's?

Paul

Looks like all civilian hunting clothing.

TrenchfootJoe66

the 13 star button shirt could, possibly,maybe have seen military use, it's of the right period. Realistically ? Probably used by a hunter. Of the commercial shirts these are more desirable re the buttons.

The Boonie looks to be super common Korean commercial fluff

USCapturephotos

Thanks for the feedback TrenchfootJoe. Yeah the pockets of the shirt appear to have maybe old blood stains on them...exactly where a hunter would place shot birds or other game.

When you say "Korean fluff" does that mean stuff that may have been sold in tourist shops?

TrenchfootJoe66

No sweat GI. Most likely the boonie is made for the export market, available at K Mart, next to the fishing rods.

Yankee Trader Relics

kammo-man (Owen)

Thank you for your comment regarding the item I listed on the website as being fake. Can you tell me in detail as to why you state this is fake? Details supporting your comment appreciated. Details help me as well as other members of the forum. Pehaps you have some information or pictures you would like to share?

Mark

Yankee Trader Relics

kammo-man (Owen)

Received a response from Bob regarding the details surronding the beret. It appears I have a tourist copy. Bob explained to me how the ARVNs never used this and material left over from the war was used in Vietnam to create this type of beret for the tourist market. All this information will be included on my website, as I plan to start a section on fakes. I will be removing the item from the website. I do not want anyone to buy misrepresented material. A hearty thank you for the heads up.

Cheers,

Mark