VIETNAM BEOGAM PATTERNS

beogam

Can anyone ID this Camo? Fits snugly over U.S. steel helmet; looks factory sewn in 4 sections, with elastic edge, & cut-outs for chin straps.

Hi ,

Im not sure at 100 % but this pattern look like "BLACK SHEEP" hunting camo late 50 s early 60 s

I see on militaria dealer website some helmets covers named Laos or Cambogdia h .cover look like your

but the twill look like satin or para material ?????

Cheers Jerome

market garden

Here is a beogam pattern hat. My brother was in the Army and was stationed in Korea. This would have been about 1977 Post Vietnam. He said the Korean home defence force wore these

when he was there. Possable earlier versions could have been used in Vietnam. I wore this as a kid and stored it in the back yard. It is missing the original plastic sweat band.

Market garden

post-510-1212959195.jpg

SUITE

THE MOST DESIRABLE CUSTOM I EVER SEE IN MY LIFE AN FIRST JUNGLE JACKET CUT MADE WITH US COMMERCIAL TWILL WITH 13 STARS

METALS BUTTONS ABSOLUTLY w00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

NOT THE FIRST JUNGLE JACKET CUT IN PINK PATTERN

Is this the FULRO flag worn as a beercan above the pocket ?

vintageproductions

Andrei-Just saw that photo, it is definately the FULRO badge being worn. Great photo.

vintageproductions
Here is a beogam pattern hat. My brother was in the Army and was stationed in Korea. This would have been about 1977 Post Vietnam. He said the Korean home defence force wore these

when he was there. Possable earlier versions could have been used in Vietnam. I wore this as a kid and stored it in the back yard. It is missing the original plastic sweat band.

Market garden

This hat is not really Beo Gam / Leopard pattern, it is a South Korean Army camo pattern.

Wow

Now there is something you dont see everyday .

A first model cut Beogam jacket .

That is killer .

The cloth looks like govt issue to me.

I may be wrong on this but this is why we love the old cammo!!!

Oh yes nice uprising patch.

o

vintageproductions

I tend to lean the same way as Kammo-man on this shirt. It looks Viet made, not civilian.

Here are photos of a local made French style pullover made out of the same material.

jsdh1.JPGjsdh2.JPG

hochiminhtrail

Wow i never saw the Fulro flag beeing worn, by the way just to mention this "military" organisation in Vietnam today can bring you a lot of trouble, when you speak to the lowland vietnamese they are ASAP at unesae and look arround to see that noboy hear the conversation. or they really just dont talk about and switch conversation

might be a little of topic, but does more fotos exists seeing this badge being worn??

Alex.

Very Nice 47-52 Beogam smock.

What a rare and advanced piece of camouflage history...

It looks like the same material to me .

Well at least in the same family.

Vp is this smock Viet made ?

Is it named ?

I suppose It would be to much to see a tailor label.

Killer piece .

thanks for sharing with the cammo collectors.

o

market garden
This hat is not really Beo Gam / Leopard pattern, it is a South Korean Army camo pattern.

Thank you for getting back to me so fast on this. This web site is full of great information. Market garden

So I was looking through my files and found this little cracker.

This smock has been cut almost like a 47 52 but the back is sort of like a 1st model jungle jacket.

We have had in our collection 5 pieces cut like this .

Tiger

Black

Lizard

Green

Frogskin

The material is mint as were all the others.

As you already know Beogam is simply a copy of this Amercian ww2 pattern.

So we can date this jacket not before 1963 due to the tabs on the back.

All the best

o

I am sharing pictures from SFC Williams who was a advisor to the 42nd Ranger Bn..(Mekong Delta) taken early in 1964. I met Sgt. Williams for the first time in Chattanooga last month, while attending a Ranger Advisor reunion. He had a photo album that is second to none, and the following pictures show beogam as well as other uniforms worn by Americans and Vietnamese troops.

Of special interest is the picture of a private in a uniform (lepord pattern) that probably has never been seen. This private was taller than most Vietnamese and was a dashing figure. He did not wear this uniform in the field but wore it in the village. It was definitely a ''pussy magnet''.

Sgt. Williams mentioned that in '64 there were no cammo uniforms being issued. Like S.F. advisors, Ranger co van's (advisors) would either order beogams from outfitters in the U.S., or had them made in the village. The beogams that is being worn here were all made in the village.

During my first tour with the BDQ in June '66, the typically seen Ranger cammo uniforms were being issued. However most soldiers would never wear them in the field because they were made of heavy cloth and did not breath well. It would literally rot on you if continuously wet. Personally, I would wear the U.S. issued jungle fatigues in the field. The large pockets in the shirt and pants served well to store maps, and other necessities, as well as being comfortable and drying in a minute.

I will also be posting information about "The Tiger Lady" at a later date.

post-468-1213056340.jpg

More Photos

post-468-1213057777.jpg

another one

post-468-1213058124.jpg

another

post-468-1213058869.jpg

Few more pictures from te same vet, BDQ asked me to add them

post-1523-1213391652.jpg

Home made leopard pattern, probably the one used to line berets and to make bush hat

post-1523-1213391763.jpg

The vet

post-1523-1213391850.jpg

Thank you Copran, for posting the other photo’s for me.

Four Ranger Bn. (41st, 42nd, 43rd and 44th) operating in IV Corps conducted some of the most successful operations against Viet Cong and NVA forces during the Vietnam War. These battalions were very aggressive and mobile due to their use of helicopters early in ’64 and their ‘Eagle Flight’ operations proved to be very successful.

The photos presented above depict what was worn both by the 42nd Vietnamese Ranger Battalion and their American advisors. All uniforms shown were made in Vietnam. Of particular note, you can view how neck wear, pocket patches, painted helmets, fourragere and different soft hats were worn both in garrison and in the field.

Sgt. Williams was a Korean War veteran who earned his second award to his CIB, while serving with the 42nd Ranger Battalion prior to the major troop build-up and American intervention.

For information, I have provided some information on the Ranger Forces honors and awards.

“Vietnamese Ranger units and individual soldiers received a wide range of awards for valor and heroism from both the Republic of Vietnam and the United States. The 42nd and 44th Battalions were awarded their country's National Order Fourragere, the 43rd Battalion the Military Order Fourragere, and the 21st, 37th, 41st and 52nd Battalions the Gallantry Cross Fourragere. Twenty-three Ranger units were awarded the Vietnamese Gallantry Cross with Palm unit award, with the 42nd Battalion receiving the award seven times, the 44th Battalion six times, and the 1st Group and 43rd Battalion each four times”.

“Eleven U.S. Presidential Unit Citations (PUC) were awarded to Vietnamese Ranger units. The 37th Battalion three times, the 39th and 42nd twice, and the 1st Ranger Task Force, 21st, 44th and 52nd Battalions each received the PUC once. The U.S. Valorous Unit Award was awarded to the 21st, 32d, 41st, 43d, 77th and 91st Ranger Battalions”

The 37th Bn. was the only Vietnamese unit that participated at the battle of Khe Sanh with the U.S. Marines. As related by Sr. advisor Captain Walter (Buzz) Gunn, when the Rangers landed at the airfield they formed up in formation and marched to their assigned positions, outside of the wire. The marines who were there were not too happy to see the battalion, and trust was a major factor that was unanswered. The battalion had to dig in and prepare their defensive positions even while claymores were pointed at their backs and incoming rounds were dropping in.

The 37th proved their metal repulsing every ground attacked aimed at their positions and in the end earned the respect of their fellow defenders.

Here's one for Beogam. thumbsup.gif

I hope its not a repost.

I understand that to be Special Forces SFC Robert Hatic in the center.

lefttorightsfcroberthatic1.jpg

I think the SF reading the map is Ed Rybat.

You're right mate and the man on the rigt side with glasses is SP6 Susumo Sakamoto;

Cheers

Valery

Here's one for Beogam. thumbsup.gif

I hope its not a repost.

I understand that to be Special Forces SFC Robert Hatic in the center.

lefttorightsfcroberthatic1.jpg

I stand corrected thumbsup.gif

Then he may be the guy on the left.

The name was in the title of the pic.

I tend to lean the same way as Kammo-man on this shirt. It looks Viet made, not civilian.

Here are photos of a local made French style pullover made out of the same material.

post-492-1213042304.jpgpost-492-1213042314.jpg

Hi Bob

Please could you post more details pics of this AMAZING BEOGAM SMOCK

Cheers JEROME