USMC Pack Howitzer in action on Bouganville

Old Marine

post-2843-1239820451.jpg

This is a 1/35 scale diorama that I built a few years ago. The gun is the Tamiya kit and the figures are a mix of everything. The basic gun crew is Tamiya's old British, Six Pounder gun crew converted in to US Marines. The other figures and gear are bits and pieces from the parts box. The helmets and Daisy Mae hats are from the Airfix mutli pose figures.

I really appreciate all the nice words and comments. I'll put us some more when I can. In the meantime look this over.

Thanks!

Dennis

I have been admiring your other posts and I am amazed at the detail and small odds and ends you add to your builds.Just amazing!!!!I like how you added a nambu holster to the loader on the gun crew and the Japanese canteen,bayonet and smalls are what really sets this off.The camo detail is awesome too.Thanks for sharing.

RD

Fantastic job you are very good at modeling and you add great realism in your painting. Thanks for sharing and I'm coming to this section more often. thumbsup.gif

The Meatcan

another cool dio! In addition to all the previous comments by others, I'd also say that your vegetation looks pretty cool too. How did you make it?

Terry

post-2843-1239884264.jpg

Thanks for all the encouraging comments. These are some of the photos that I used for ideas and reference. I could look at these photos for hours, absorbing all the details. This photo was taken on Cape Gloucester. Those one piece suits look hot. Notice the gun talker at the far right, no shoes, pants rolled up and the top tied around his waist.

thanks

Dennis

post-2843-1239884600.jpg

This photo was taken on Tinian. This gun crew looks very hot, sweaty, dirty and pretty uncomfortable, the heat must have been unbearable. You can see I incorporated element of both photos in to the diorama.

post-2843-1239884919.jpg

This is a pack howitzer in action on Tarawa. Again the heat, dirt and sweat, I tried to convey that feeling in the diorama with the dark colors and the deep shadows.

The foliage is a mix of everything, railroad green foam foliage, sticks and roots from the back yard, feathers, birthday cake decorations and some hand made palm and banana leaves. I am sure a botanist could easily pick apart the plants trees as being like nothing found in nature, but I just wanted to make the background look "jungle like".

The small palm leaves up near the front of the gun are handmade from bond paper, wire and white glue and then assembled like silk flowers, it's time consuming, but it works.

Dennis

Brian Dentino
post-2843-1239820992.jpg

Outstanding detail.....I really love this "overhead" shot.....it shows the crew, gun, and pit beautifully. Great job! thumbsup.gif

Dennis - Modeling is not my forte' but your work is magnificent! I have a good buddy who was in the 11th Marines on Pelilieu and Okinawa in 75 pack howitzers. He'd love these!

Thanks for sharing......Semper Fi....Bob

Great diorama Dennis, I wish I have time to make the such beauty, I stopped doing models years ago after starting collecting real uniforms ...

Cheers