How to clean a CIB

Wolfhounds

I have a WWII CIB that I would like to see if I can clean up a bit and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how to clean it properly? The biggest thing that bothers me is the blue shield. Is there anyway to clean/repair that crap off, as in the white spots. I tried using a little windex and even some rubbing alcohol and it did clean the surface dirt up a little bit, but not good enough. Also what would be a good way to clean the tarnish off of the wreath. I just want to clean it up a little better. I don't know it the white spots will come off or not, but I thought I would ask, and by the way I don't want "to just leave it alone".

Thanks for any help or ideas.

post-5458-1239750572.jpg

post-5458-1239750581.jpg

Try toothpaste with an old toothbrush, I've used that to clean

the enamel on Legion of Merit medals

Bill

Get a jewlers cloth with polishing rouge in it. It will last forever and polish metals very well. Evev when it turns black from many polishing it will still do the job.

Try a jewelry store. If that doesn't help go on line and see what you can find.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll give your ideas a shot. I'll probably try the toothpaste first and then the polishing cloth if that doesn't work.

Many thanks, Sean

Francis Marion
Thanks for the help guys, I'll give your ideas a shot. I'll probably try the toothpaste first and then the polishing cloth if that doesn't work.

Many thanks, Sean

Please, also keep in mind that these issue CIBs came with tarnish to highlight the leaves in the wreath.

Military-Memorabilia

You may not want to hear this, but my 2¢ is to tell you NOT to polish the silver. My gosh, if this is a Sterling badge, it is at least 50 years old. Of course its going to have tarnish - that's what shows off its age, that built-up patina. Removing dirt and grime is one thing. but don't try to make it look like new - quite simply, it isn't new. It would be the same advice a coin dealer would give you concerning the polishing of old coins. In the long run, it doen't help its value - it hurts it.

Squad leader

Hi,

Your CIB has a very nice patina and I really wonder why you want to clean it. thumbsup.gif

Using abrasive material on the enamel could remove it definitively. fear.gif

Just my opinion...

Dan.

Hey guys, thanks for all the reply's. Actually, I'm not too worried about the wreath itself, I just would like to know if there is a way to get those white spots off of the blue shield. It's not chipped as far as I can tell, perhaps it's just faded. That is really what I would like to clean if it's possible. I think I'll leave the wreath alone, but a way to clean the shield and just have a nice solid blue background would be great.

Thanks again

The pictures are not that clear to me but I believe the white spots on the blue are just thin spots in the blue paint. If that is the case, no amount of cleaning will remove it. Whatever you do, DO NOT dip it in liquid silver cleaner as this will loosen the blue painted center.

As someone already mentioned, a certain amount of tarnish in the recesses of the wreath was normal for period CIBs. Were it me, I'd just leave it be. Cleaning it could destroy some of its value to collectors and will make it appear to be newer than it is. If you really want a nice shiny CIB, go to a surplus store or check on-line. You can get one of the current base metal plated one pretty cheaply.

Just my unsolicited 2-cents worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Wolfhounds, Those white blemishes would bother me too.

If it were me and they didn't clean up with windex or some other such "soft" cleaning aid, I would probably buy another vintage piece and sell this one. These aren't that expensive and if you need a replacement, let me know. I have quite a few WWII vintage ones.

I agree with the others...Keep the tarnish but don't rub off the blue by over aggressive cleaning!

Kim

I do part time work in a jewelry store down town, fixing and cleaning jewelry and watches. Go to your local jewelry store, and ask the man/and or woman in charge to take a light buff to it. We have a buffing machine with a soft cloth spinning wheel that cleans watch cases and crystals, and an ultrasound machine to clean silver. Both would work splendidly on this.