Possibly WW2 USMC camo pants or copy

Tonomachi

I picked up these camoflage pants today at the flea market and was wondering if they were original or maybe a copy. I couldn't find any markings on these pants except the back of the snaps which is stamped something like "UNITED CARR".

post-1389-1239589735.jpg

post-1389-1239589746.jpg

post-1389-1239589755.jpg

post-1389-1239589768.jpg

post-1389-1239589779.jpg

Just from a quick glance at the small picture the material pattern appears correct.USMC camo really didnt have labels sometimes a a purple/blue ink stamp for size (36,34,32 etc) but no cloth labels.Believe it or not I have had the USMC camos with a mix of scovill and Carr snaps.

RD

Consider the source. You bought them at a flea market. Was the seller a militaria dealer or just a person selling things. If the latter, I'd be amazed if they were not right. From here they look really good. Pants are always a good find too, given the ratio of surviving pants versus shirts.

The few times I've been ripped off it was always by people who specialize in military items. Not saying all militaria dealers sell fake items, but most people who sell fake military items are usually dealers.

I'd say you stand a much better chance of getting ripped off at a gun or militaria show than you do at a flea market. Sorry for the heresy but that's how I see it.

Consider the source. You bought them at a flea market. Was the seller a militaria dealer or just a person selling things. If the latter, I'd be amazed if they were not right. From here they look really good. Pants are always a good find too, given the ratio of surviving pants versus shirts.

The few times I've been ripped off it was always by people who specialize in military items. Not saying all militaria dealers sell fake items, but most people who sell fake military items are usually dealers.

I'd say you stand a much better chance of getting ripped off at a gun or militaria show than you do at a flea market. Sorry for the heresy but that's how I see it.

Actually what happened was there was a lack of sellers at the flea market today possibly due to it being easter as well as an antique fair being held in a nearby town. I couldn't find anything militaria until I came across these two guys selling lots of junk out of their van and several moderate size pieces of jade that I believe came from Big Sur. One of these guys was wearing these pants which looked like original WW2 era USMC trousers. I asked him where he got these camo pants and he told me that his girlfriend got them for him. As he was wearing them I was obviously unable to examine them closely and walked away looking at a variety of other things being sold by other vendors at this flea market. I found nothing and told myself what the heck make an offer to the guy for these pants. I felt kind of goofy asking the guy if he would sell me his pants. He asked me how much and I said twenty dollars. He told his buddy about me wanting to buy his pants and wasn't saying no but he wasn't saying yes until I offered him thirty dollars. He said he would sell them to me for thirty dollars and went into his van to change. That is how I ended up with these camouflage pants. I took them home and washed them and thanks to everyones help I might have an original pair of WW2 era USMC camoflage trousers.

Actually what happened was there was a lack of sellers at the flea market today possibly due to it being easter as well as an antique fair being held in a nearby town. I couldn't find anything militaria until I came across these two guys selling lots of junk out of their van and several moderate size pieces of jade that I believe came from Big Sur. One of these guys was wearing these pants which looked like original WW2 era USMC trousers. I asked him where he got these camo pants and he told me that his girlfriend got them for him. As he was wearing them I was obviously unable to examine them closely and walked away looking at a variety of other things being sold by other vendors at this flea market. I found nothing and told myself what the heck make an offer to the guy for these pants. I felt kind of goofy asking the guy if he would sell me his pants. He asked me how much and I said twenty dollars. He told his buddy about me wanting to buy his pants and wasn't saying no but he wasn't saying yes until I offered him thirty dollars. He said he would sell them to me for thirty dollars and went into his van to change. That is how I ended up with these camouflage pants. I took them home and washed them and thanks to everyones help I might have an original pair of WW2 era USMC camoflage trousers.

Reminds me of a time I about wrecked my car pulling it over to buy a jump helmet off a kid on a bike :blink:

Corpsmancollector

From a quick first glance they look good to me :) I'd be suprised if they wernt correct.

What a story!

Will

Seller sounds like a nice guy. He'd probably give you the shirt off his back.

All jokes aside, that's one of the best stories I've heard in awhile.

Great pants that are hardly ever seen anymore.

Hey, great find.

Just a word of caution....... ***BE VERY CAREFUL HOW YOU WASH STUFF LIKE THAT***........modern washers/dries and possible even detergents can really destroy old textiles.... I've learned that the hard way.

I always soak and wash by hand with gentle (dish) soap then roll dry with a towel and hang it or lay it flat to air dry........

JC

Your new pair of pants look good to me.

Remind me when I bought a tankie jacket off the back of a rockabilly bloke on a rainy day. I offered him about the equivalent of $40.

He replied this is not mine but my friend's. His friend was nearby and he said OK for $40. The lad reluctantly took the jacket off and went back home with only his shirt under a pouring rain. No need to say that he was mad after his "friend". devil.gif

good m-44s to me .

Andrei you are a cruel man .

But your story reminds me of the time I got a USMC 2nd pattern jump smock at flip in Covent Garden for 15 GBP s .

I was looking for the hidden camera !!!!!

Thinking I had been set up .

owen

VAWARMEMORIAL

I saw a homeless guy wearing a WWII German Camo smock while driving a few years ago, but buy the time I circled back he had disappeared. I was going to trade him my ski jacket for it if it was real......