F-4 Cockpit Photos

NebrPatch

Today was RF-4C "Walk-through" Day at the Strategic Air and Space Museum. Here are a few photos of the cockpit.

Tom

post-5886-1239482312.jpg

They have a mock-up cockpit that you can sit in at the National Museum of the Air Force in Ohio. One thing I hadn't realized was that there are flight controls in the back seat.

Airborne-Hunter
They have a mock-up cockpit that you can sit in at the National Museum of the Air Force in Ohio. One thing I hadn't realized was that there are flight controls in the back seat.

great pics,

there is also a cockpit of an F-4 you can sit in out here in California, on the USS Hornet in Alameda, California, next to the flea market on the Alameda Naval Air Station

teufelhunde.ret
Today was RF-4C "Walk-through" Day at the Strategic Air and Space Museum. Here are a few photos of the cockpit.

Tom

Great pic's Tom - it was the best multi-platform aircraft of all time! s/f Darrell

Thanks for looking everyone. I should have mentioned that Gen. Carl Lorenzen (ret.) spoke of his days flying the RF-4C in the Nebr. Air National Guard. He was also part of a group of individuals responsible for bringing an RF-4C flown by the Nebr. Air Guard back to Nebraska to be displayed at the museum.

Tom

Steindaddie
name='tar00' One thing I hadn't realized was that there are flight controls in the back seat.

The US Navy and USMC Phantoms had no rear seat flight controls, but the USAF did. There were, however, a few limitations to fully independent flight - the engines could neither be started nor shutdown from the rear cockpit, and you can't select afterburner nor engine cut-off with the rear throttles.

I worked on USAF Phantoms for many years and show the gray hairs accorded such experience. (Ahem)

Will

think.gif I amend part of what I said: If you pulled enough circuit breakers in the rear cockpit, you could indeed shut the engines down !