odd .45 pouch

anelles

found this mixed in with a box of used M1956 .45 pouches at a surplus store, never saw anything like it, figured it was worth a $5 gamble if it's genuine or not.

The flap has a faded US stamp, no other markings can be seen. Any ideas? Some sort of early M56 gear? Modified? Or just a fake?

451.jpg

452.jpg

453.jpg

It might be a British Made WW2 pouch, modified to M1956 standard by adding the sliders? The nomenclature never changed after the M1923, so there are no "M1956" pistol ammo pouches, just M23's with sliding clips.

Greetz ;)

David

It might be a British Made WW2 pouch, modified to M1956 standard by adding the sliders? The nomenclature never changed after the M1923, so there are no "M1956" pistol ammo pouches, just M23's with sliding clips.

Greetz ;)

David

Could be, I never thought about a british made, modified. The webbing does seem to be of the British style, also would explain why the slider webbing doesnt match. Hmm...

craig_pickrall

Look in the belt tunnel and see if there is a snap for the pistol belt. If so then it is a modified UK made pouch. Even if the snap was removed you should be able to see upset material where the snap was.

I don't think the snaps on the front are the type the Brits used.

This may be a test item or an early limited production pouch.

Look in the belt tunnel and see if there is a snap for the pistol belt. If so then it is a modified UK made pouch. Even if the snap was removed you should be able to see upset material where the snap was.

I don't think the snaps on the front are the type the Brits used.

This may be a test item or an early limited production pouch.

No sign of a snap, the snaps on the flap are labeled "DOT" on the male end, TRW on the female. The thread used for the stitching appears to be nylon.

I have several dated 83, I will have to dig mine out to see if they are identical, looks like mine though.

Please do, shoot a photo if you can, I'm curious their origin, I never would have guessed these are 80's vintage.

craig_pickrall

I'm adding these so they will be handy for discussion. First is Brit made versions of the WW2 pouch and second is two versions of the standard pouch used during Vietnam.

post-5-1239485345.jpg

post-5-1239485351.jpg

post-5-1239485357.jpg

I had just found mine and was getting ready to post pics when Craig posted his post. Mine look like the last ones in Craigs post. I could of swore thay had snaps like yours, looks like the mystery is still on.

I have two of those, Beretta and BHP mags fit perfect in mine, I assumed they were from early contracts of gear for the M9.

I put one on a belt with a USMC M-1916 holster for the M9, maybe someone can set me straight.

• 2 weeks later...
I have two of those, Beretta and BHP mags fit perfect in mine, I assumed they were from early contracts of gear for the M9.

I put one on a belt with a USMC M-1916 holster for the M9, maybe someone can set me straight.

Never thought of that, wish i had some 1911 and M9 mags to test in it. I would have guessed pouches of that era would be nylon in construction however.

I have a factory new M-1923 1911 mag pouch that was contracted in 1989, so not everything was nylon, even in the late '80s.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to renew this post, see if anyone else had any definitive info on the era and use this pouch had.

• 1 month later...

I screwed up, and need to amend post #10.

I came accross these last night, and found 13rd BHP mags in them, not Beretta mags. I tried Beretta mags, and they are too long, but the BHPs fit perfect.

1911 mags fit but the flap is tight and the mags are loose in the pocket, the flap is too short and the pockets are too skinny to double up the 1911 mags.

It seems these pouches were made for the BHP, could be a long lost, worth it's weight in gold, item made specifically for the VN SOG guys that carried BHPs?

I doubt it, probably after market, but a good looking traditional mag pouch for the BHP in a US style rig, anyway.

I screwed up, and need to amend post #10.

I came accross these last night, and found 13rd BHP mags in them, not Beretta mags. I tried Beretta mags, and they are too long, but the BHPs fit perfect.

1911 mags fit but the flap is tight and the mags are loose in the pocket, the flap is too short and the pockets are too skinny to double up the 1911 mags.

It seems these pouches were made for the BHP, could be a long lost, worth it's weight in gold, item made specifically for the VN SOG guys that carried BHPs?

I doubt it, probably after market, but a good looking traditional mag pouch for the BHP in a US style rig, anyway.

Interesting. I wonder where this pouch came from, as I said in the first post, I found it in a freshly opened box of 1911 pouches in a surplus store, was hoping to find a ww2 pouch mixed in, but found this instead. The lot was received from the gov. Perhaps it was a limited run pouch for those with BHP's. Although, I doubt they would bother with a US stamp on it if it was for SOG. I think I paid less than $5 for it, so not a bad deal.

hotlead, got any photos of yours?

• 11 years later...

More than a decade later and I'm still puzzled by this pouch. Recently found it again while organizing some stuff.

Some updates. I confirmed with a 1911 mag that it is 100% sized for those. Very snug fit, but two loaded 1911 mags fit. The snaps are TRW DOT marked. Nylon stitching.

4501.jpg

4502.jpg

4503.jpg

4504.jpg

4505.jpg

On 4/20/2021 at 6:21 AM, earlymb said:

Have a look at the French TAP50/53 pistol ammo pouch, although the sliders are still a modification.

Definitely some similarities there. Very interesting.