1'ST Special Forces Green Beret !!!

butcher

I just got this 1'st Special Forces green beret with an early opposed skull DI , was very much after this beret and have another 6'th & 7'th coming soon , would like to here comments, thanks for looking thumbsup.gif

I'm looking forward getting a green beret with custom made silk lining , Vintage productions and Dog Tag have some cool looking berets )

006-13.jpg

007-10.jpg

008-13.jpg

009-12.jpg

010-14.jpg

Looks good to me. Nice quality photos.

We seem to have had a lot of postings for berets lately... might be that people have just been saturated with them lately. You can see the previous posts by using the SEARCH bar.

Francis Marion

That's an interesting, non-standard crest on that beret. If you compare the crest with the sticker in the last photo, you can see that the knife handle is much wider and the top of the scroll is completely different. In my 25 year association with SF, I have never seen a crest like this. I would really be interested in knowing where it was made. At least one thing is certain, it wasn't just put together using modern and readily available pieces from an army base.

Thanks for the comments and as for the flash crest, it's an early opposed skull DI made by " Meyer ", personally my favorite of all , here are a couple of more pics and another early opposed skull crest !

015-8.jpg

013-9.jpg

012-8.jpg

...if i'm not mistaken, i have seen such DI's for sale at Vintage productions and LJ militaria , have a look for yourself thumbsup.gif

That's an interesting, non-standard crest on that beret. If you compare the crest with the sticker in the last photo, you can see that the knife handle is much wider and the top of the scroll is completely different. In my 25 year association with SF, I have never seen a crest like this. I would really be interested in knowing where it was made. At least one thing is certain, it wasn't just put together using modern and readily available pieces from an army base.

N.S.MEYER INC

NEW YORK

001-14.jpg

Francis Marion

Thanks for providing that info. Like I mentioned, I have been with SF for half its history and have been fascinated with the other half. I have seen a number of different crests and the crest incorporated into other various designs but never a modification like this that was intended for wear. Can you expound more on its history and intended use? Was it an unofficial design intended to be different or an early design proposal?

Thanks for providing that info. Like I mentioned, I have been with SF for half its history and have been fascinated with the other half. I have seen a number of different crests and the crest incorporated into other various designs but never a modification like this that was intended for wear. Can you expound more on its history and intended use? Was it an unofficial design intended to be different or an early design proposal?

Very good question, would love to hear some vets opinion on this one though, maybe you are right, could have been an early unofficial design favored among the SF personel , lets here some more opinions think.gif

Very good question, would love to hear some vets opinion on this one though, maybe you are right, could have been an early unofficial design favored among the SF personel , lets here some more opinions think.gif

This was the 1st design of the SF Crest. Around 1962 it was changed to the design that is still in use today.

This was the 1st design of the SF Crest. Around 1962 it was changed to the design that is still in use today.

Thanks very much for the info, case closed thumbsup.gif

Bonjour,

In order to confirm Abn Inf, here is a display with a 1962 yearbook and a Fleur de Lys (canadian made beret worn in the early years) with an orignally sewn 1st SFGAbn flash and a first design (opposite skulls) DI. You can notice the DI design on the yearbook cover.

2vrvsk1.jpg

Hope it could help

Cheers

Valery

Bonjour,

In order to confirm Abn Inf, here is a display with a 1962 yearbook and a Fleur de Lys (canadian made beret worn in the early years) with an orignally sewn 1st SFGAbn flash and a first design (opposite skulls) DI. You can notice the DI design on the yearbook cover.

2vrvsk1.jpg

Hope it could help

Cheers

Valery

Mercie Valery, that pretty much explaines everything , that flash is the pre Kennedy assasination version thumbsup.gif