MK. 2 USN/Ka-Bar Camillus

INIMICUS

I have a stone mint one with blue-black blade and the proper guard marks and thin, pinned-thru pommel for a '44-'45 version. Does anyone know if Camillus made any with a semi-sheen blued blade? Mine seems not to have been messed with in any way but some say such were "arsenal refinished" after the war. What - the grip washers, too? Frank Tzshka says he thinks a few mt. have gone thru w/blueing.

Will try to post a few pix. Thanks

post-496-1175450624.jpg

post-496-1175450766.jpg

Greg Robinson

I've seen that finish before on wartime CAMILLUS M3's and k-bars. I think it was parkerizing that has been lightly cleaned and taken on that smooth blue black finish. It was typical of their production but, that being said, Frank may be correct and some got blued. I own a mid war production USMC KA-BAR that has a similar finish....looks blued....that Frank says was done by a UNION CUTLERY subcontractor. Can't say for sure if it's blued or just a glossy park.

Guest Frank Trzaska
Frank Tzshka says he thinks a few mt. have gone thru w/blueing.

If you are going to quote me at least get it correct. I do NOT think any were blued by Camillus. As it was not an inhouse process it would have been a huge mistake for it to happen. Sure, anything could happen... and pigs could fly as well.

"Could some have been blued by mistake and put into the system, possibly I guess."

Frank Trzaska

Greg Robinson
If you are going to quote me at least get it correct. I do NOT think any were blued by Camillus. As it was not an inhouse process it would have been a huge mistake for it to happen. Sure, anything could happen... and pigs could fly as well.

"Could some have been blued by mistake and put into the system, possibly I guess."

Frank Trzaska

I wondered where that blued finish on WW2 Camillus knives comment came from. I'd sure never heard this before although a lot of collectors confuse that wartime finish with "blueing". Actually, the Camillus parkerized finish takes on a chalky looking patina if unmessed with. It's the ones that have been cleaned that look blued.

Greg Robinson

Here are pics of two unissued ww2 Camillus knives. On top is a 1st pattern "screw pommel" Navy Mk 2. On the bottom is a late war USMC 1219c2 guard marked. The USMC knife was found untouched since WW2, it took me a good hour to carefully remove 50+ years of dust and crud just to be able to identify it. Still had the "care tag" on the scabbard. So I feel these are a good representation of what the wartime Camillus finish looks like if unmessed with.

post-4-1175507675.jpg

post-4-1175507735.jpg

I wondered where that blued finish on WW2 Camillus knives comment came from. I'd sure never heard this before although a lot of collectors confuse that wartime finish with "blueing". Actually, the Camillus parkerized finish takes on a chalky looking patina if unmessed with. It's the ones that have been cleaned that look blued.

Frank - no intent to misquote you, certainly. I only wanted, as a newbie on these, to learn if a "blued" finish was original - since others I've seen are that grey matte.

Which makes total sense for a battle knife. OTOH on blade 'sites I'd seen some dark-colored Mk. 2s.

I understand that some people prefer the so-called "blue" finish, but that polishing the original dark black Parker Rust Proof Companies formula - the Camillus version of Parkerizing, you've said - diminishes value and is frowned upon.

Hence this IS NOT the original finish, unless "pigs can fly." So much for that theory. Also, it seems people buff up the grips, ene on knives that otherwise are mint like mine, yes. Another no-no. Thanks again for all your help.

Here's another pic or 2 of this piece

post-496-1175691840.jpg

Frank - no intent to misquote you, certainly. I only wanted, as a newbie on these, to learn if a "blued" finish was original - since others I've seen are that grey matte.

Which makes total sense for a battle knife. OTOH on blade 'sites I'd seen some dark-colored Mk. 2s.

I understand that some people prefer the so-called "blue" finish, but that polishing the original dark black Parker Rust Proof Companies formula - the Camillus version of Parkerizing, you've said - diminishes value and is frowned upon.

Hence this IS NOT the original finish, unless "pigs can fly." So much for that theory. Also, it seems people buff up the grips, ene on knives that otherwise are mint like mine, yes. Another no-no. Thanks again for all your help.

Here's another pic or 2 of this piece

post-496-1175692584.jpg

post-496-1175692666.jpg

collectsmedals

On a side note: Camillus cutley went out of business February 27, 2007 after 130 years.

Frank Trzaska

FYI: Welcome to the site Frank and we're sorry if you joined only to clear up that issue :) but we hope to hear from you again.

For those who don't know the name Frank Trzaska, check out his website at http://usmilitaryknives.com/

FYI: Welcome to the site Frank and we're sorry if you joined only to clear up that issue :) but we hope to hear from you again.

For those who don't know the name Frank Trzaska, check out his website at http://usmilitaryknives.com/

I thank Frank again.

He's a Very Busy Man, and several other times in the past has patiently helped me - and I'm sure many other newbies.

If he gets to writing a book, buy it. He's a great credit to the hobby. And yes, his site's terrific.

Greg Robinson

Hence this IS NOT the original finish,

After giving this so more thought I've decided that as issued these wartime Camillus made knives may have had a finish like what's seen on your example. I once owned a near mint Camillus M3 that had such a finish and it had grease on the blade. And I've seen a semi gloss black finish on other WW2 period Camillus knives and bayonets. So maybe mine are examples of original finish which has oxidized over the years. This being said, you might also achieve the same appearance by cleaning the oiling the blade.

After giving this so more thought I've decided that as issued these wartime Camillus made knives may have had a finish like what's seen on your example. I once owned a near mint Camillus M3 that had such a finish and it had grease on the blade. And I've seen a semi gloss black finish on other WW2 period Camillus knives and bayonets. So maybe mine are examples of original finish which has oxidized over the years. This being said, you might also achieve the same appearance by cleaning the oiling the blade.

Thanks a lot, Greg.

I wonder if the presence of packing grease, i.e., cosmoline, could render matte blades "smoother-looking" over a long time or turn it to a kind of semi-gloss? I mean, w/o anyone intervening on their own....

Some of these knives - like mine I'd say - were never issued, and maybe there was some chemical action/reaction as the knives sat in the "stew" so to speak for years.

As for the grip, it's mint, too, and a bit shiny. Shouldn't these washers be as "dull" (anti-reflective) as the blades? Care to hazard a fair value range for mine?

Good hunting/

Greg Robinson
Thanks a lot, Greg.

Some of these knives - like mine I'd say - were never issued, and maybe there was some chemical action/reaction as the knives sat in the "stew" so to speak for years.

As for the grip, it's mint, too, and a bit shiny. Shouldn't these washers be as "dull" (anti-reflective) as the blades? Care to hazard a fair value range for mine?

Good hunting/

Yep....just exposure to the air will change the finish over time. As for the leather, some were polished and some left rough. I don't know of a govt specification governing this but think it was up to the whim of the manufacturer.

Greg

Yep....just exposure to the air will change the finish over time. As for the leather, some were polished and some left rough. I don't know of a govt specification governing this but think it was up to the whim of the manufacturer.

Greg

Thanks again for your expertise and the fine input overall. Now .. for that scabbard!

Greg Robinson
Thanks again for your expertise and the fine input overall. Now .. for that scabbard!

If you need an early Navy Mk 2 scabbard and don't mind a reproduction there's a guy on ebay selling high grade repros. I bought one of his that has "USN" and "BOYT 43" markings and it's very close to the original BOYT made early Navy leather scabbards. Original Navy and Marine leather knife scabbards have become hard to find.

• 3 weeks later...
If you need an early Navy Mk 2 scabbard and don't mind a reproduction there's a guy on ebay selling high grade repros. I bought one of his that has "USN" and "BOYT 43" markings and it's very close to the original BOYT made early Navy leather scabbards. Original Navy and Marine leather knife scabbards have become hard to find.

Much obliged, Kurt.