Unknown Uniform

QED4

I got this coat at a show yesterday using my theory that if I don't know what it is and it cost less then $20.00 I had better buy it, it was $10.00. It looks like the illegitimate offspring of a Marine EM coat and a Navy Aviator's Green coat. From the way it is made I believe it is pre-WWII but certainly no later than WWII. It has a green cotton twill full lining and the sleeves are lined with smooth stripped material. It was made by Russell Uniforms of New York with no government label. It is made of the same course wool material that Marine uniforms were made of and the colour is closer to the blueish-green the Marines used than to the Navy green. It dose not have the look of a well tailored officer's uniform. It has a four button front where I believe the the Navy uniform only had three. The buttons are smooth brown metal and not military but could be replacements and several are missing. There are no rank stripes on the sleeves and never were any but it dose have the owner's name in it so it was sold also no Marine V cuffs. It has a three piece back with no gussets and dose not have the long curved seams of WWI but rather short straight ones. Any opinions will be welcome and for all I know this may well be a bus driver's uniform and not military at all.

post-55-1175440773.jpg

jeremiahcable

With the plain buttons and lack of a definative style on this one I would be tempted to say it's a 1930s Civilian Conservation Corps jacket. The wore military type uniforms and "Marine Green" was a color often seen in use by them. You may want to Google them or look on eBay for some other CCC items as they are collectable in their own right. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Jeremiah

QED4,

What you appear to have is a WW1 era YMCA, KofC, Red Cross, etc men's uniform jacket. It is probably early rather than later, as by 1918, most of the above named organizations had switched over to olive drab, from forrest green.

I would want to see how it is made, but since you say it seems pre WW2 so I am guessing that I am correct.

Minus insignia, it is probably worth about $50, the hard part will be to put it back to right with correct insignia.

If you are not interested in keeping it, I would be interested in buying it. PM if you would like to sell and we can negotiate a deal. I collect US WW1, and would be willing to trade, or buy it outright.

Chris

I got this coat at a show yesterday using my theory that if I don't know what it is and it cost less then $20.00 I had better buy it, it was $10.00. It looks like the illegitimate offspring of a Marine EM coat and a Navy Aviator's Green coat. From the way it is made I believe it is pre-WWII but certainly no later than WWII. It has a green cotton twill full lining and the sleeves are lined with smooth stripped material. It was made by Russell Uniforms of New York with no government label. It is made of the same course wool material that Marine uniforms were made of and the colour is closer to the blueish-green the Marines used than to the Navy green. It dose not have the look of a well tailored officer's uniform. It has a four button front where I believe the the Navy uniform only had three. The buttons are smooth brown metal and not military but could be replacements and several are missing. There are no rank stripes on the sleeves and never were any but it dose have the owner's name in it so it was sold also no Marine V cuffs. It has a three piece back with no gussets and dose not have the long curved seams of WWI but rather short straight ones. Any opinions will be welcome and for all I know this may well be a bus driver's uniform and not military at all.

post-55-1175440773.jpg

With the plain buttons and lack of a definative style on this one I would be tempted to say it's a 1930s Civilian Conservation Corps jacket. The wore military type uniforms and "Marine Green" was a color often seen in use by them. You may want to Google them or look on eBay for some other CCC items as they are collectable in their own right. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Jeremiah

That would be my guess as well, but wouldn't it have CCC buttons? Perhaps another alternative would be US Park Service, but again, just a guess. I know the Park Service had that band around the waist, like which can be seen on Air Corps Cadet uniforms. Interesting uniform; can't wait to find out what it is!

Beau