1877 officer's dress collar EGAs?

FrankEaton01

101combatvet

When compared to other insignia of the period the quality in which they were made is a little strange.

Not saying that they are repops but they are odd nonetheless.... what are they made out of? Has yours

been cleaned?

as another member put it...maybe a piece for the officer on the budget...another member said possible sand casting. If these are repops, they're an older repop, and why haven't we seen more?

mine was found in an estate attic in Maine

I have not cleaned it. It is unmarked as for material...not quite sure what it is, the seller thought maybe silver...I'm not good with that

101combatvet

Maybe these are foreign made copies from the Philippines, China, Nicaragua, Panama, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Mexico and or Haiti. Or maybe Korea...

1871-korea-flag.jpg

I have not cleaned it. It is unmarked as for material...not quite sure what it is, the seller thought maybe silver...I'm not good with that

normaninvasion

Don't mean to butt in, if they were silver, they would be marked. Jeff

101combatvet

Exactly.... because of their crudeness they look like period copies. I would have it tested to see what the alloy is.

if they're copies from there I wouldn't say they're fakes, but rather theater made

teufelhunde.ret

Gents, as stated in my opening thread I have examined these under loop - they are silver and preceed laws requiring a stamp of "silver". They conform to pattern shown in the patrol coat picture above. As to if they were made outside the US, anything is possible - being a silver or goldsmith is not exclusive is the US and has little bearing as to their existance.

The question we are struggling with, are they repro? If so, it is an amazing job / work and meant to fool the most seasoned collector. And were made decades ago, as the natural patina one sees on emblems exists. Without giving away the farm, I have shared with Brig my reservation(s) and feel it should remain that way, insofar as putting out info that repro makers do not need to hear or read. s/f Darrell

Don't mean to butt in, if they were silver, they would be marked. Jeff

FYI - jewlelry (& insignia) using precious metals made in the U.S. were only required to marked with content after about 1904, e.g. "silver" "gold" and later "sterling", 10K, 14K etc. So they could be made of silver in that era and unmarked.

Bob

101combatvet

If you look at the post#19 and compare the backside of the EGAs offered up for auction with Brigg's you can pick out some variations. The pin and clasp have some slight differences.... this may indicate that they were made for the most part by hand and possibly to order? Since the number of these are so few it is a little hard to believe that someone would go to this effort.... unless more are to show up on the market. I would ask the more experienced collector's in this field for their opinion.... chances are that that would know. Often collecting isn't all that cut and dry... your only hope would be to find one that is identified to the original owner or except it based on other obvious factors.

usmcaviator

Another set of these will be offered for sale in about a month or two, I suspect. You know where my thoughts lie on these. I do not like the sloppy and crude construction, the sources these have come from, how and where they are listed, how many have popped up in a few months time, nor the look of the material. It all points to being bad. Nothing is positive about these. My opinion.

I'm not giving a yea or nay yet. evidence points in both directions. stranger, crude things have surprised us before

I'm not 100% satisfied, either, which is why it's spent the last year in my 'maybe' case and not with the rest of my EGAs... I must say the early designs are fantastic, and I'd love to find some other varients...but we all know how scarce these things are, and as a Cpl my budget isn't spectacular

teufelhunde.ret
Another set of these will be offered for sale in about a month or two, I suspect. You know where my thoughts lie on these. I do not like the sloppy and crude construction, the sources these have come from, how and where they are listed, how many have popped up in a few months time, nor the look of the material. It all points to being bad. Nothing is positive about these. My opinion.

Mike, where are they coming from, East - West coast? In the last year, Brig's single popped up first las summer - I'll let him tell the story, then the Williams set last fall and this set. s/f Darrell

Leatherneck72

Ok...time for me to weigh in.....Given the relative rarity of these items, the recent appearance of multiple examples can only be described as a "rash" of sightings. I feel that when you have to reach for all kinds of reasons to explain something, i.e., theater made, "officer on a budget," sand cast, etc. that more likely than not the item is not good. My experience with early Marine antiques has shown me one thing....that when you have to reach for reasons to talk yourself into something, then it is probably no good. The really good honest stuff just speaks for itself. Just my humble opinion.

Brian

teufelhunde.ret

Well... was someone lucky? They sold last night for 1K, well below est of 2 - 4K. Wonder if we will ever see them again -_-