1877 officer's dress collar EGAs?

FrankEaton01

FrankEaton01

I know very little about early Marine Corps EGA insignia, but have found the reference section here to be very informative. Last week, I received a mail-auction catalog that had these insignia listed, described as 1877 pattern officer's dress EGA collar devices. Any opinions from the experts? I didn't find a similar pair in the reference section, so I thought a discussion would be interesting. Although, it's probably difficult to reach any definitive conclusion without seeing the backs.

(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

teufelhunde.ret

I will first start by saying, I have seen (an identical) one of these in person and spent a good amount of time examing it under quality loop and various lighting. It belongs to a forum member here and will only say, from the gut, I am 95% confortable with the one I examined. And have only shared my reservation with him and a few others. If he chooses to comment or post more pictures - that shall be his choice.

As to the emblem - I am not absoulty certain that it is as stated - an example of the 1877 pattern. It does not share the same design elements, (as shown in other known period photo's), but from my estimation made for the undress coat as prescribed by uniform regulations of 1892. Thats my 2 cent take.

As for the auction estimates... :unsure: But one thing for sure, there will many of us EGA collectors who will be participating in the auction B)

s/f Darrell

As for the auction estimates... :unsure: But one thing for sure, there will many of us EGA collectors who will be participating in the auction B)

s/f Darrell

Considering that the Marine Corps only had about 75 officers in 1877 (see http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=9349 ) these could indeed be rare birds (or, as one notable collector amongst us prefers "scarce"). If there is a consensus that they are the real thing, then the high end of the estimate is easily reachable. I would expect that some will choose not to comment on these before the auction.

teufelhunde.ret
.... then the high end of the estimate is easily reachable. I would expect that some will choose not to comment on these before the auction.

You can take that to the bank...! B)

FrankEaton01

Thanks! I really appreciate everyones' opinions. I'm basically a medal collector, but always enjoy expanding my knowledge about other types of insignia. It should be interesting to see how high the hammer price for these goes.

I'll comment...as it's obvious by my avatar that I am the one with such an emblem. We have been looking into them for about a year now, and I would like to find a match

I must say, this is the second or third matched pair I've seen for sale in the past year...but they may be from the same seller, as I know at least one pair did not sell, but to be fair it had a 5000 price tag

teufelhunde.ret
I have a few 1876-1904 EGAs.... that came out of the Philadelphia in the 1970's.

Is that so... Let's seem them.

teufelhunde.ret

Recieved an email this morning regarding the emblems in the auction and my 5% reservation. The reservations I have are best pictured here for comparison with others posted here on the forum...

post_1737_1190010649.jpg post_22_1239415565.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

This may look exactly like the one in the previous post - but - look closely at the anchor fluke. They are not the same...

post_376_1188230430.jpg post_22_1239415565.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
Darrel, notice the pin types are the same...

Indeed, I have observed many insignia identical in nature - and in many instances the pin mounting hinge is still in use today. Found the pic's from Williams Ebay sale which sadly caused such fractious with a few folks last year...

889c_1.jpg

bccd_1.jpg

91da_1.jpg

9a4c_1.jpg

b37c_1.jpg

as another member put it...maybe a piece for the officer on the budget...another member said possible sand casting. If these are repops, they're an older repop, and why haven't we seen more?

mine was found in an estate attic in Maine

teufelhunde.ret
Brig said:
and why haven't we seen more?

Exactly my feeling too. Yours and the two sets here are the only ones I've ever seen 

so there were about 75 officers circa 1877...but how many more up through 1900 when these may have been worn?

we need some period photos or a group to shed some light...

where did you find that? the wings on the right emblem of his almost distinctly show the same wing angle