How to find a Crash Record?

jeremiahcable

jeremiahcable

Hey Everyone,

I've got a NARA file to a USMC F4U pilot that died in a crash state side in 1944. I have the date and time of the crash as well as the approximate location from the paperwork. Anyone know how I would go about finding a file number or requesting an accident report? Thanks for your time.

Jeremiah

Hey Everyone,

I've got a NARA file to a USMC F4U pilot that died in a crash state side in 1944. I have the date and time of the crash as well as the approximate location from the paperwork. Anyone know how I would go about finding a file number or requesting an accident report? Thanks for your time.

Jeremiah

Try this outfit: http://www.accident-report.com/navy.html - I haven't used them but they seem to have some basic info online.

Forum Support is correct. Start with the website he recommended. They have them broken down by service and then alphabetically. This group will research the crash for you for a fee. I have requested and received crash reports from a government agency and will try and locate the address for you. Usually you will receive the investigator's report, witness reports, and photocopies of any photos taken at the crash site.

By the way, any pilot that I research, I lways check that groups website to see if they crashed. I found crash report on a neighbor of mine that occured when he was learning to fly.

Try this outfit: http://www.accident-report.com/navy.html - I haven't used them but they seem to have some basic info online.

OK, here is what I have on USN reports:

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER

805 Kidder Breese SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD

WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/org4-2.htm

Aircraft Accident Summaries/Aircraft Mishap Investigation Reports

The aircraft accident reports are a record of operational losses. The summary reports normally do not include reports on combat losses. Presently, the collection covers the period 1920 to December 1979. The records are filed by type of aircraft and date of the accident. The collection is only on microfilm. NOTE: Without the type of aircraft and date of the accident it is almost impossible to locate the report on the microfilm. Requestors must have the type of aircraft and date of the accident in order to obtain a copy of the report. Records for the post December 1979 period are held by the Naval Safety Center. Their address is Commander Naval Safety Center, Attn: Code 71, 375A Street, Norfolk,VA 23511-4399.

jeremiahcable

Thanks a lot for the help Gents! The papers from NARA include a the aircraft type, date, time and location so I imagine it should be fairly easy to have the report found. I have been trying to research the guy for a couple of years and ran into dead ends.....no pun intended at all. It's pretty sad to look at his uniform now and know that he died before even getting overseas to fight. Thanks again for the help!

Jeremiah