WW1 Yeoman (F) Uniform

cwnorma

In March of 1917, the US Navy began enlisting women. That month, a 19 year old girl named Charlotte Winters left home and enlisted. By the end of WW1, 11,274 Yeomen (F) (or Yeomanettes as they were called) had served in the Navy and Coast Guard. On March 27 2007, exactly 90 years later, the very last Yeoman (F) died. Charllotte Winters was 109.

As a tribute to all the brave young women who left behind prim and proper Edwardian society for the salty world of Sea Dogs and Scuttlebutts, I present the uniform of one of Charlotte Winters fellow Yeoman (F):

post-594-1175378407.jpgpost-594-1175378461.jpg

post-594-1175378495.jpg

Her is a closeup of the Yeoman (F) Felt hat. The ribbon says "U.S. NAVAL RESERVE FORCE" Some women also wore a straw "boater" with naval talley, and some wore a version of the enlisted man's flat hat with the stiffening ring removed.

post-594-1175378521.jpg

US Naval Reserve Buttons

post-594-1175379582.jpg

Yeoman (F) and Pharmacists at the Boston Navy Yard

In March of 1917, the US Navy began enlisting women. That month, a 19 year old girl named Charlotte Winters left home and enlisted. By the end of WW1, 11,274 Yeomen (F) (or Yeomanettes as they were called) had served in the Navy and Coast Guard. On March 27 2007, exactly 90 years later, the very last Yeoman (F) died. Charllotte Winters was 109.

As a tribute to all the brave young women who left behind prim and proper Edwardian society for the salty world of Sea Dogs and Scuttlebutts, I present the uniform of one of Charlotte Winters fellow Yeoman (F):

USNRFuniform.jpgUSNRFjacket.jpg

USNRFHat.jpg

Her is a closeup of the Yeoman (F) Felt hat. The ribbon says "U.S. NAVAL RESERVE FORCE" Some women also wore a straw "boater" with naval talley, and some wore a version of the enlisted man's flat hat with the stiffening ring removed.

usnrbutton.jpg

US Naval Reserve Buttons

h59614.jpg

Yeoman (F) and Pharmacists at the Boston Navy Yard

John Stacey just did a great article for the last issue of FOOTLOCKER on the Yeoman (F)s. Have you seen it?

Gil,

I am not even familiar with what FOOTLOCKER is. Maybe I should be.

Tell me more.

Chris

John Stacey just did a great article for the last issue of FOOTLOCKER on the Yeoman (F)s. Have you seen it?

Gil,

I am not even familiar with what FOOTLOCKER is. Maybe I should be.

Tell me more.

Chris

FOOTLOCKER is the quarterly newsletter of the Association of American MIlitary Uniform Collectors -- AAMUC. If you collect US uniforms you really ought to join.

collectsmedals

Great uniform.

I would love on in my collection someday.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

• 3 weeks later...

Great uniform and great tribute.

Notice the full size (male) Yeoman 1c rating badge, "crow" used in WWI.

According to John Stacey, U.S. Navy Rating Badges, Speciality Marks and Distinguishing Marks 1885-1982, Published by the author, "Approval was given by the Secretary of the Navy on 20 March 1943...for a rating badge of similar configuration but of reduced size, namely with the chevrons 2-3/16 inches in breadth compared to 3-1/4, and 1/4 inch wide and 3/16 inch apart compared to 3/8 inch wide and 1/4 inch apart for men's rating badges."

A little known fact is that WAVES were the first to be authorized to wear sleeve marks for seaman first and second class and hospital apprentices. Males still used cuff stripes to distinguish those pay grades until Change 1 (24 February 1948) to Uniform Regulations of 1947.

-dan

• 5 years later...
Bob Smalser

There were also casualties.

577613_2740143722892_1570362002_n.jpg

My aunt, Louisa Catherine Turner (1897-1920), served as a Yeoman First Class at the Philadelphia Navy Yard from 1918 to her death from Spanish Flu at age 22 in April, 1920. She lived with her parents and siblings across the river in Camden NJ and was a stenographer for the supply department.

Her family physician listed the death as from pneumonia, but based on her youth, the military origin of the pandemic at Ft Riley through the ports to Europe and beyond, and the speed and intensity of her illness (ill for only three days), there is no doubt in my mind she died from flu. Perhaps her family doctor didn't want the neighbors to panic.

We still have parts of her uniform and service record.

529678_2752460510804_522178784_n.jpg

With her younger sister Evelyn, later a Camden school teacher for 30+ years, circa 1903:

392558_2738649805545_738254465_n.jpg

trenchbuff

Glad this one came back to the top. I missed it the first time. This is really a killer uniform Chris!

• 1 month later...

Today's encyclopedias make a big deal out of these women only receiving General Discharges, requiring them to lobby for honorable discharges later.

As you can see by my aunt's original discharge certificate, that's not true. She received an honorable discharge upon separation.

• 2 years later...