What are you currently reading?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently reading (upon recommendation of Rakkasan187 of this forum) the book of the same name by Flanagan.

And The Darkest Summer -- Pusan and Inchon 1950 by Bill Sloan

Both interesting and teaching me lots about ground forces.

MSGT William Gould, 8th Weather Squadron, USAAF WWII
MAJ Abner J. Barnett, 329th Infantry Regiment, 83rd Division, USA Medical Corps WWI, WWII
T 5 A. Curtis Dufield, 147th Armored Signal Company, 7th Armored Division WWII

CAPT Thomas F. Hooper, 120th Infantry Regiment, 30th Infantry Division, WWII
"And then we all got invited to World War II and everybody's life changed." (Jean Kelly Barnett Gould 1922-2009 (My mom))
For I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. (Phil. 4:11b)
"That outfit was so bad that the CHAPLAIN went over the hill with a couple of guys." William Bryson Gould 1920-2012 )(My dad))

donation2011.gif

• 2 weeks later...

In the Philippines and Okinawa: A Memoir, 1945-1948 by William S. Triplet... on recommendation by USMF member kiaiokalewa.

~Sean

WANTED: Philippine Department & Division patch variations, uniforms, & other items.
~In honor of Private Placido Conejos, 14th Engineer Regt. (Philippine Scouts). KIA on Bataan, 02/13/1942

My links: Lolo's (Grandfather's) WWII Service | My Mini-Museum of Sea Lions and Carabaos ASMIC Newsletter Editor (4653) | PSHS Nat. Secretary & Webmaster

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifimage.png.b6b9b30c229769336acc011171a4f63d.png

"Call of Duty" by Buck Compton. He really dispells a lot of what happened in BoB, especially regarding his actual role vs. what was depicted by his character. I got to meet Buck in December at an event and he's a really down to earth type of guy.

Always buying USMC named uniforms and unit marked items.

"Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid"

"Call of Duty" by Buck Compton. He really dispells a lot of what happened in BoB, especially regarding his actual role vs. what was depicted by his character. I got to meet Buck in December at an event and he's a really down to earth type of guy.

Buck's book is an excellent read, really enjoyed it alot. Currently reading Sid Phillip's "You'll be Sor-ree".

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Buck's book is an excellent read, really enjoyed it alot. Currently reading Sid Phillip's "You'll be Sor-ree".

Couldn't quite decide to read next, so I went to the old standby: Winston Churchill's 6 volume history of WWII. I'm about 60 pages into volume one. Last time around it took almost two years to read all 6.

Also re-reading John Tolland's biography of Hitler at the same time.

Just finished At Dawn We Slept by Gordon Prange. If the Pearl Harbor attack interests you, this is THE best work on the subject I've ever found.

5th Infantry Division (Mechanized)

1968 - 1970

Currently rereading Memoirs of a Hollywood Soldier: An Extra's Journey to "The Pacific" By Jeff Ooi. (Also known as forum member bratwurstdimsum!)

Jeff writes about working on The Pacific in his short but excellent read.

The paint stripping of M1 helmets, particularly protestor helmets, is destruction of history by the very men who claim to protect it.
Always looking for gear and items linked to the following: Joe S. Tamura US Army; Ken Tamura 442nd RCT; Capt. Emerson US Army Medical Corps, Norman Albert Wells Fifth Infantry Division

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Couldn't quite decide to read next, so I went to the old standby: Winston Churchill's 6 volume history of WWII. I'm about 60 pages into volume one. Last time around it took almost two years to read all 6.

Also re-reading John Tolland's biography of Hitler at the same time.

Just finished At Dawn We Slept by Gordon Prange. If the Pearl Harbor attack interests you, this is THE best work on the subject I've ever found.

I have a copy of Prange's Target Tokyo about the Richard Sorge spy ring. I have learned through various correspondence that Prang used a fair amount of the information that was uncovered (after the surrender) and distilled into various reports by my uncle. I have a signed copy that was given to my uncle by Prange, thanking him for the research input. From June 45 through the end of 1954, my uncle was part of the famed 441st CIC.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Right kno I am reading "Kill Bin Laden" by Dalton Fury. An ecellent book written by the senior ranking officer at the Battle of Tora Bora. It is a fist person account written by a former Delta officer and his experiences inside Afghanistan.

Just finished up "Six Minutes to Freedom" by Kurt Muse and John Gilstrap. This book detailed the capture of Kurt Muse by the Panamanian Defense Force and his subsequent incarceration for anti-Noriega radio broadcasts. It also talks about the Delta rescue of Muse from the Modelo Prison.

I recommend both books highly!!!

Arch

Kill Bin Laden-agreed excellent. Some unpublished missed chances.

collector-5957

"Mobile Guerilla Force" by James Donahue (my current "on the road" book)

"The Ether Zone" by Ray Morris ( on the night stand at home)

"The Guts to Try" by James Kyle ( bathroom bookshelf)

I wish I could say that "The Ether Zone" was a super read full of new material. Unfortunately at least some of whats contained in the book can be found at the B-52 Project Delta website. That being said, it's still great to finally have some books on the legendary recon men of Project Delta. Im not saying that it was a waste of my money and I did enjoy it, I just had higher hopes for the book. Ill be ordering a copy of "Boots on the Ground" next as I continue to read all I can find on B-52.

Anybody who wants to learn a bit more about Operation Eagle Claw ( Iran Hostage rescue debacle) should have a look at "The Guts to Try". Im reading it for the second time.

D Co. 5/20th Inf 2nd ID Camp Casey ROK
HHC Scouts 2/7th Inf 24 ID Ft Stewart GA
A Co. 4/12 Inf 1 AD Baumholder FRG
HHC Scouts 4/12 Inf 1 AD Baumholder FRG

donation2014.gif

I've turned my readings from WWII and Korea to something more recent and useful to what I might encounter in my future service. Now reading Baghdad at Sunrise; A Brigade Commander's War in Iraq. Very interesting insight into some of the challenges we faced with the "natives," as well as all the other problems that evolved after "mission accomplished" was proclaimed. Author is Col Peter Mansoor, who was CO of the "Ready First Combat Team," 1st Bde, 1st Armored Div.Goes into good detail about his unit's counterinsurgency operations. Definitely recommend!

Gary

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Actively seeking North Carolina and 30th infantry Division-related items from all periods.

Also looking for items belonging to veterans that went to The Citadel in Charleston.

Troop D, 1-150th Cavalry RGT, 30th HBCT. M1A1 SEP Tank Commander.

OMSA member #7423

US Army Historical Foundation Charter Member

US Army Brotherhood of Tankers member

American Association For State and Local History

Southeasren Museums Conference

Southeastern Registrars Association

From Brittany to the Reich by Joseph Balkoski. 270 pages read already.

A little bit disappointing, not his best book about the 29th inf. div. in WWII.

Dan.

Always looking for 29th & 36th infantry divisions items (uniforms, medals, groupings, papers, maps, books...)

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

The KGB in Europe and the West

-THE MITROKHIN ARCHIVE-

Astonishing, horrible, scandalous, yet very exciting!

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitrokhin_Archive

and http://www.amazon.com/Mitrokhin-Archive-Eu...8735&sr=8-2

- Sjef -

By God, I think the Devil s#!+$ Dutchmen. [sir W. Batten, 1667]

Actively seeking: WWII USAAF, ETO and PTO bomber crew related items.

My collection

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

"On Combat" LtCol Gossman (Ret)

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 2 weeks later...

"I was on Corregidor" by Amea Willoughby.

She was the wife of the Philippine High Commissioner's Executive Assistance. She tells of her experiences as a government official caught in the middle of WWII from the opening days of the war, to moving to Malinta Tunnel on Corregidor, and their evacuation to Australia.

~Sean

WANTED: Philippine Department & Division patch variations, uniforms, & other items.
~In honor of Private Placido Conejos, 14th Engineer Regt. (Philippine Scouts). KIA on Bataan, 02/13/1942

My links: Lolo's (Grandfather's) WWII Service | My Mini-Museum of Sea Lions and Carabaos ASMIC Newsletter Editor (4653) | PSHS Nat. Secretary & Webmaster

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifimage.png.b6b9b30c229769336acc011171a4f63d.png