What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

Beyond Band of Brothers, by Dick Winters. This is the ccompanion book to Band of Brothers written by Winters that gives background and fills in a lot which couldnt be included in Band of Brothers, by Ambrose. The contents of this book are from Winters own journals and recollections. Very good book.

Wayne

Presently reading "The Liberation Trilogy," book 2, The Day Of Battle by Rick Atkinson. I just finished Jeff Shaara's first two books of his WWII trilogy, The Rising Tide and The Steel Wave.

I can say that I finally understand the campaigns in North Africa and Italy.

If you havn't read any of Shaara's or Atkinson's books, you are missing out. Excellent writing and pretty fresh, contemporary historical perspectives on WWII.

Mike

BTW: Shaara's third book in his WWII series is being released now: No Less than Victory. I'm really looking forward to it!

"The Unknown Soldier" by Neil Hanson...Just started this one about WWI

"Survival In Auschwitz" and "The Awakening" by Primo Levi...Just finished these over the week-end. Very good writer who has a unique way with words.

"Playing with the Enemy" by Gary Moore..Started this one last week. Baseball and WWII, what else can you ask for

"Some Survived" by Manny Lawton...Started this one last week, about the Bataan death march, very desciptive.

I usually have 3-4 books going at once, I have one at work and read during lunch and breaks. We have about 4 people at work that read military books and we all swap around. One guy's uncle, a WWII veteran, lives with him, he is 90 years old and will read 3-4 books a week. We all try to keep him supplied.

"Marine Corp Aviation in WWII". Published in 1955 and is a 1st Edition. A really accurate account of Marine air combat with additional info with the Navy and AAF and foreign air forces added in.

Just finished reading On the Canal; The Marines of L-3-5 on Guadalcanal, 1942 by Marion and Cuddihy. This book was published by Stackpole, and I generally don't much care for the books they publish (up until recently, I was GM of a bookstore- buy books from any store except BORDERS!!!), but this was was incredible!! I had just prior read Edwin Hoyt's Guadalcanal history, and while I like Hoyt's work, it tends to be impersonal and very broad. This book, On The Canal, is primarily first person, and is just an incredible read from start to finish! I only wish it were longer ( the book, that is, not the ordeal). I've recently gotten on a Pacific War "kick," starting with the "Canal," and this is by far one of the most insightful I have yet to find. Marion gives an incredible "boots on the ground" taste to it, and even provides insight that you won't find in any other history book. He refutes some of the information provided in the original USMC history in the 1st MarDiv history, The Old Breed (not Eugene Sledge's unsurpassed narrative), gives first-hand accounts of Vandegrift (and his temper with the habit of throwing his helmet to the deck when displeased), as well as the horrors of war. I was amazed at the description of Chesty Puller's "falling out of favor" with General AAV because of his orders to fall back from the Matanikau because of the suspected Japanese assualt feared by the General.There is a ton more to this, but those are just a very few highlights.

Long and short of it: INCREDIBLE narrative!! Strongly urge anyone interested in "the Canal" or the Pacific War to devour this book!

G

• 4 weeks later...

I am almost finished with "Doc - Heroic Stories of Medics, Corpsmen, and Surgeons in Combat". I really like the book it covers WWII, Korea, and Vietnam. There are a few stories that are told second hand but most of the stories are great. Some of the corpsmen stories are amazing....Kat

• 3 weeks later...
rice paddy daddy

Right now it's:

To The Mariannas, Edwin P. hoyt

Radioman, a biography of a WWII sailor

Stalin's Guerillas, about the partisan troops after Barbarossa.

Next up it's: A Foot soldier For Patton, The Memoir Of A "Red Diamond" Infantryman, by Michael Bilder. This one's close to home because the author fought with the 2nd Infantry Regiment, and I have had the pleasure of meeting some of his brothers in arms at our annual reunions of The Society Of The Fifth Division. Alas, their ranks are dwindling fast!

teufelhunde.ret

Civil War Uniforms of the USMC by Cureton & Sullivan - superbly written, pictorial references are exceptionally well done, recommended reading!

The Remains of Company D, by James Nelson. Nelson's grandfather, John Nelson, was in Co. D, 28th Infantry, 1st Dvision, during WWI. He was wounded at Soissons, and James Nelson, with only the bare minimum information to start with, has put together a very good account of the company. I'm more than half way through, and it is very good so far.

Pete

• 1 month later...

US ARMY RANGERS & SPECIAL FORCES OF WORLD WAR11-Schiffer-$23.00 bucks,fromAmazon.

I just looked,they still have 3 for $23.00 then they go up to $35.00.

Just finished "Death Traps" by Belton Y. Cooper which is about the author's tour as an ordanance officer in the 3rd Armoured Division and was responsible for recovering and repairing damaged tanks and vehicles during the Euorpean campaign. A great insight to how it was for the people "just" behind the lines. Also a great insight into how the Sherman tank was absolutely no match for German armour and how the general staff ignored the tank's shortcomings and how they didn't put a decent tank into the lines until late in the war (M-26 Pershing).

Currently reading "Shattered Sword" by Parshall and Tully which tells the Japanese side of the Battle of Midway. I real good view of the other side of the battle and how it dispelled some of the myths of U.S. writers' version of the battle.

Also reading "A Fighter Pilot In Buchenwald" by Joseph Moser. Moser was shot down over France and ended up in the Buchenwald concentration camp along with scores of other allied airmen. I'm not very far into the book and the author has just gotten to Buchenwald.

All good reading and highly recommended by moi.

I am about 60 pages into Robin Neillands' The Battle for the Rhine 1944. It is focused most on the commanders so far, and Neillands presents both an Anglo-centric and revisionist view of Monty and Ike. The writing style is, thus far, pretty good, and I am enjoying the information presented. There are a couple first-hand accounts referenced so far, but after finishing Ryan's A Bridge Too Far that was full of personal accounts, this book feels lacking in that area.

When finished I'll be able to make a recommendation. For now, it's good company for today's snowstorm.

-Johannes

Has anyone read "Ordnance Went Up Front"? I've heard it is about small arms repairs of weapons from battlefield pick ups near the front lines in WWII.

Lafayette Escadrille Biographies by Dennis Gordon

If Dennie is who I think he is, I sold him some WWI aviation uniforms back in the 90s. He probably has the single most extensive Lafayette Escadrille and Lafayette Flying Corps pilot's uniform groupings on the planet. I went to his house (if this is him) in Montana and saw his collection. Impressive is an understatement.

Just finishing up Fighting With Popski's Private Army. Working through Sting of the Scorpion, which I keep in my truck for solo lunchtimes. Will start on The Air Raid Warden Was A Spy next.

Tom

Croix de Guerre
If Dennie is who I think he is, I sold him some WWI aviation uniforms back in the 90s. He probably has the single most extensive Lafayette Escadrille and Lafayette Flying Corps pilot's uniform groupings on the planet. I went to his house (if this is him) in Montana and saw his collection. Impressive is an understatement.

Yep, thats the man. I have heard his collection is the stuff that dreams are made of.

QUOTE(Stony @ Feb 8 2010, 10:16 PM)

Yep, thats the man. I have heard his collection is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Other than his Lafayette collection, he has pieces of fabric from WWI planes with squadron insignia on them and also a piece of Von Richtofen's plane. :thumbsup:

Right now I am reading two books. The first one is "Master of War- Blackwater USA's Erik Prince and the Business of War" and the second is "HOGs in the Shadows - Combat Stories from Marine Snipers in Iraq". With all the snow we've been getting in Kentucky....I haven't had a wheel on my butt and actually have some relaxation time (at least for a couple of days). :lol:

"The Rise and Fall of an American Army. U.S. Ground Forces in Vietnam, 1965-1973" by Shelby L. Stanton (U.S.A Retd) One of the most gripping books on the Vietnam War I've ever read...and written by someone who was there! Although first published in the mid-80s it is still as valid as ever. Highly recommended!

Sabrejet :thumbsup:

Mustang: A Combat Marine by Gerald P. Averill. It's OK--gives a lot of insight into background and functioning of the USMC, but definitely from an outsider's perspective. Interesting details on the training and deployment of the Paramarines.

Also reading (again) Fighting in Hell: the German Ordeal on the Eastern Front, edited by Peter G. Tsouras, and The Soviet-German War 1941-1945: Myths and Realities: A Survey Essay by David M. Glantz. The first-person accounts from German commanders in Fighting in Hell balance out the academic style of Glantz.

• 3 months later...

Currently reading "One Bullet Away - The Making of a Marine Officer" by Nathaniel Fick. I am about 1/2 way thru and really like it. It gives great insight into the USMC training....Kat