What are you currently reading?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now reading: "The Naked Flagpole" by Richard C. Mallonee

~Sean

WANTED: Philippine Department & Division patch variations, uniforms, & other items.
~In honor of Private Placido Conejos, 14th Engineer Regt. (Philippine Scouts). KIA on Bataan, 02/13/1942

My links: Lolo's (Grandfather's) WWII Service | My Mini-Museum of Sea Lions and Carabaos ASMIC Newsletter Editor (4653) | PSHS Nat. Secretary & Webmaster

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifimage.png.b6b9b30c229769336acc011171a4f63d.png

• 4 weeks later...

Currently reading Fire in the Sky: The Air War in the South Pacific by Eric Bergerud. I'm about 150 pages into it. Excellent read so far!

Kevin

Have you ever noticed that people who are brutally honest seem to take more pleasure from the brutality than from the honesty?

donation2010.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

"Gettysburg: A Testing of Courage", by Noah Andre Trudeau. It's a great read, around 600 pages of first hand accounts with an hour by hour account of the battle.

In memory of Lance Corporal Jeremy S. Lasher, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force. Killed in Action July 23, 2009, Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Semper Fi

Lance Corporal's 2/8 challenge coin was STOLEN from his grave. Please see the following forum link for details: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/210650-challenge-coin-stolen-from-marine-kia-grave/&do=findComment&comment=1654270

My eBay Auctions: http://shop.ebay.com...s/m.html?_dmd=1

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

"A Life Disturbed", My Pacific War Revisited, by Merrel Clubb. A naval gunfire liaison officer with the FMF. He was at most of the important landings with the Marine Corp. and the Army in the Pacific War. A good read, Clubb is an intelligent and observant author.

"They'd rather be alive than free; poor dumb bastards."

Now reading: I Saw the Fall of the Philippines by Carlos P. Romulo

~Sean

WANTED: Philippine Department & Division patch variations, uniforms, & other items.
~In honor of Private Placido Conejos, 14th Engineer Regt. (Philippine Scouts). KIA on Bataan, 02/13/1942

My links: Lolo's (Grandfather's) WWII Service | My Mini-Museum of Sea Lions and Carabaos ASMIC Newsletter Editor (4653) | PSHS Nat. Secretary & Webmaster

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifimage.png.b6b9b30c229769336acc011171a4f63d.png

• 3 weeks later...

Next up on my reading list:

Through the Perilous Night: The Astoria's Last Battle by Joe J. Custer

I just picked up a copy of this book that was published in 1944.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

James D. Hornfischer's "Neptune's Inferno: The US Navy at Guadalcanal". I've never been attuned to the naval war in the Pacific, but some recent research for writing my catalog made this necessary and attractive. Very well written and easy to read.

Jeff Floyd

The universe is made up of neutrons, protons, electrons and morons

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

James D. Hornfischer's "Neptune's Inferno: The US Navy at Guadalcanal". I've never been attuned to the naval war in the Pacific, but some recent research for writing my catalog made this necessary and attractive. Very well written and easy to read.

I'm also reading a book on Guadalcanal:

Struggle for Guadalcanal, August 1942-February 1943: History of United States Naval Operations in World War II, Vol.5

My father-in-law was wounded at Guadalcanal, the destroyer he was on was sunk during the battle, the USS Monssen. I have read several accounts on the battle, kinda hits home when you know someone who lived through it. He died several years ago though, before I had a chance to really talk to him about it.

David
U.S. Air Force 1979-1986 ... Served in the Air Force Communications Command
Collecting U.S. Military Uniform Buttons and U.S. Air Force Communications Patches.

US Military Uniform Buttons Interesting Facts

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/173001-us-military-uniform-buttons-interesting-facts/

Wanted: USAF Communications patches (link below)

https://docs.google....ZjgyZDc5NzFiOGE

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

I know these are an old stand by, but I got the opportunity to pick up all of Don Burgett's books at a great price.

I just finished Currahee!, and I'm about half way through The Road To Arnhem. Mr. Burgett is a really good writer and his style keeps your attention. IMHO, these books are every bit as good as BoB. :thumbsup:

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Collecting WWII Armor and Tank Destroyer Items

A fantastic work, by a good naval historian author.

I do not profess to be a militaria expert, but I conduct as much research as I am capable of and then write about my findings.
Check out my blogs, The Veteran's Collection (general militaria) and Chevrons and Diamonds (military baseball)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

• 3 weeks later...

"Girls can't be Pilots" by a WASP, Margaret J Ringenberg. Excellent book!

My favorite line so far is

"There is an old saying : 'When God closes a door he opens a window.' And when God opened the window, I did what I do best. I flew throught it"

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2015.gifmsg-24355-0-77312200-1449362814.gif

The Ragged Irregulars of Bassingbourn by Marion H. Havelaar. The book is packed with pictures and great stories.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always looking for anything related to the 8th AAF and flight gear of W.W.2.

Also any info on Advisory Team 98 the unit my late father served in.

Reading: "KFC" By Lynne Black (SOG RT/10) Very good reading for us MACVSOG Historians!

and The Bible. This last one has the history of mankind, intrigue, bad people, the Law, and Heroes.

Mark

100-Days of Ian MacHorton--great book telling the story of Ian MacHorton and how he was wounded and escaped from behind enemy lines in Burma while fighting the Japanese as a Chindit under Orde Wingate. One of those books you can't put down and one you'll read again.

Looking for: Fourth/ Seventh Rhode Island Infantry items

Purple Heart : Robert L. Freitag KIA ETO 2/11/45

Any US/German items with the last name "Freitag"

also, war-related posters

donation2013.gif