What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

patchtrader864

Rumor of war by Philip Caputo Book is about a Marine lt in Vietnam 1965 his year in Vietnam.

I'm currently reading Operation Iceberg by Gerald Astor, about the battle of Okinawa, on land as well as sea. It's largely a collection of oral histories, and is an easy read, although the narrative is somewhat disconnected. There are no maps, which is a common problem with these works. I recommend it however.

The thing about Okinawa is, every time I read about it, I don't apprehend the enormity of the human loss or the epic battle that it was.

Rumor of war by Philip Caputo Book is about a Marine lt in Vietnam 1965 his year in Vietnam.

My Lt. at the Sheriff's Office was in Caputo's company. In the movie he is shown giving some pipe tobacco to Caputo. He can you stories about Mr. Caputo that have never been told.

Mark

MACVSOG "Living Historian"

Karl Marlantes 'Matterhorn'. Reminds me alot of Del Vechios' '13th Valley' The same war, 30 years apart.
By the By; for all of you 'poges' and 'remfs' out there, Marlantes' Matterhorn has a great Marine Corps glossary at the end. :D

Croix de Guerre

"The Hard White Road, A Chronicle of the Reserve Mallet" by Alden Rogers of Section "M", T.M.U. 184 of the American Field Service, later Provisional Companies "B" and "H" of Motor Transport Company 844, Reserve Mallet, A.E.F. World War One. Privatley printed in 1923; #2 of 300 copies

I'm almost finished with "With the Old Breed" by E.B. Sledge. I highly recommend it. I'd be finished with it except I make myself put it down. Before that I scored on ebay "Brave Men" by Ernie Pyle. I got it for just a couple of bucks. If anyone here happened to be the seller, thank you. I recommend it too.

GoldenCross

"Without Hesitation" - General Hugh Shelton

Nothing short of fantastic. The man's been through everything.

G.C.

patchtrader864

RIPCORD by Keith Nolan book is 1970 Vietnam about the 101st and the battle for firebase ripcord and hills around it, the book is at the individual level and very hard hitting . Patchtrader864 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The unit history of the 166th Infantry. Which was an Ohio guard unit before WW1. They were part of the rainbow division. Good read, not at all boring like most unit histories.

Out of The Blue. A Pilot With The Chindits

by Terence O'Brien

William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd, Glasgow 1984

ISBN 0-00-217198-8

I recommend. The 1st Air Commando Group mentioned, Jackie Coogan, CG-4A flight technique, CBI conditions and many other interesting things.

kriegsmodell

Lions of Kandahar: The Story of a Fight Against All Odds by Major Rusty Bradley and Kevin Maurer. First person narrative of 3rd SFG(A) operations (including Operation Medusa) in South Eastern Afghanistan circa 2006. It is excellent and highly recommended!

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished:

A Youth in the Meuse-Argonne: A Memoir, 1917-1919, by William S. Triplet, Columbia, MO: University of Missouri Press, 2000. First Edition. Cloth, 326pp. Robert H. Ferrell, editor.

Triplet enlisted underage (17) in the 140th Infantry Regiment, 35th Division, in 1917. He became a platoon sergeant -- and apparently his platoon never had an officer leader. The 35th received mixed reviews (mostly negative) for its performance in the Meuse-Argonne offensive, and Triplet gives a blow-by-blow account of his experiences. This is a great book to learn how a platoon sergeant would organize his platoon and deploy his men in combat. Tiplet's memoir is a humorous and well-written account, reading like a novel. He recounts coversations which cannot possibly have been recorded verbatim, as noted by Ferrell, the editor, but one will definitely get the sense of what he went through. Triplet did not care much for officers (althoug he later became a career Army officer), and they make only the occasional appearance in a good light; also, he despised religion and chaplains, so beware if that would offend you. I consulted the official history of the 140th on-line (try google books), and some names mentioned by Triplet are not to be found in the 140th history; he mentions giving at least two men pseudonyms, and perhaps he did this with others, too. Ferrell does a good job of as editor, although I might have some minor disagreements with one or two of his statements in the introduction.

All in all, I think this is a good read for people interested in platoon-level action in WWI, and anyone interested in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Tommymonkey192

The Tank Killers: A History of America's World War II Tank Destroyer Force by Harry Yeide

(Havertown, PA: Casemate Publishers, 2007)

I also want to get Mr. Yeide's Steel Victory: The Heroic Story of America's Independent Tank Battalions at War in Europe.

I just finished "Decision Points" by George W. Bush.

Now reading "The Mighty 8th Air Force War Manual" by Roger Freeman. I know its a reference book...but I am REALLY reading it.

Don..

Tommymonkey192

Okinawa: Victory in the Pacific (1955) by Maj. Charles S. Nichols, Jr, USMC & Henry I. Shaw, Jr.

(Rutland, VT & Tokyo: Charles E. Tuttle, 1966)

• 3 weeks later...

Surrender and Survival: The Experience of American POW's in the Pacific 1941-1945 by E. Bartlett Kerr and It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want to Be by Paul Arden

just finished Hellcats by Peter Sasgen. A very interesting story of a daring mission close to the end of WWII. focuses on the commander of a doomed sub the USS Bonefish and his person relationship with his wife at home while also discussing the tactics & events leading up to the mission. A great read. i recommend it.

Michael