What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Currently reading Fire in the Sky: The Air War in the South Pacific by Eric Bergerud. I'm about 150 pages into it. Excellent read so far!

Kevin

"Gettysburg: A Testing of Courage", by Noah Andre Trudeau. It's a great read, around 600 pages of first hand accounts with an hour by hour account of the battle.

"A Life Disturbed", My Pacific War Revisited, by Merrel Clubb. A naval gunfire liaison officer with the FMF. He was at most of the important landings with the Marine Corp. and the Army in the Pacific War. A good read, Clubb is an intelligent and observant author.

• 3 weeks later...

Blooding at Great Meadows by Alan Axelrod. It's about George Washington and the start of the French and Indian (7 years war)

BILL THE PATCH
Now reading: "The Naked Flagpole" by Richard C. Mallonee

I'VE READ THAT BOOK, GREAT ONE., I'M NOW READING 84TH DIV HISTORY 1946.

Next up on my reading list:

Through the Perilous Night: The Astoria's Last Battle by Joe J. Custer

I just picked up a copy of this book that was published in 1944.

James D. Hornfischer's "Neptune's Inferno: The US Navy at Guadalcanal". I've never been attuned to the naval war in the Pacific, but some recent research for writing my catalog made this necessary and attractive. Very well written and easy to read.

James D. Hornfischer's "Neptune's Inferno: The US Navy at Guadalcanal". I've never been attuned to the naval war in the Pacific, but some recent research for writing my catalog made this necessary and attractive. Very well written and easy to read.

I'm also reading a book on Guadalcanal:

Struggle for Guadalcanal, August 1942-February 1943: History of United States Naval Operations in World War II, Vol.5

My father-in-law was wounded at Guadalcanal, the destroyer he was on was sunk during the battle, the USS Monssen. I have read several accounts on the battle, kinda hits home when you know someone who lived through it. He died several years ago though, before I had a chance to really talk to him about it.

Jim Baker

I know these are an old stand by, but I got the opportunity to pick up all of Don Burgett's books at a great price.

I just finished Currahee!, and I'm about half way through The Road To Arnhem. Mr. Burgett is a really good writer and his style keeps your attention. IMHO, these books are every bit as good as BoB. :thumbsup:

A fantastic work, by a good naval historian author.

D-Day with the Screaming Eagles

By George E. Koskimaki

Stocking stuffer from Christmas, Thanks Santa

• 3 weeks later...

"Girls can't be Pilots" by a WASP, Margaret J Ringenberg. Excellent book!

My favorite line so far is

"There is an old saying : 'When God closes a door he opens a window.' And when God opened the window, I did what I do best. I flew throught it"

canadian bacon

battle cry by leon uris which is defanetly one of my all time favorite reads

Reading: "KFC" By Lynne Black (SOG RT/10) Very good reading for us MACVSOG Historians!

and The Bible. This last one has the history of mankind, intrigue, bad people, the Law, and Heroes.

Mark

100-Days of Ian MacHorton--great book telling the story of Ian MacHorton and how he was wounded and escaped from behind enemy lines in Burma while fighting the Japanese as a Chindit under Orde Wingate. One of those books you can't put down and one you'll read again.

market garden

Bought a 1942 copy of "The raft" with the dust jacket at Goodwill. It was interesting and had photos, Good read about a enlisted naval aviator who went down in the Pacific with his crew I believe in a TBM. John