What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

• 2 weeks later...
Robswashashore

Currently reading (upon recommendation of Rakkasan187 of this forum) the book of the same name by Flanagan.

And The Darkest Summer -- Pusan and Inchon 1950 by Bill Sloan

Both interesting and teaching me lots about ground forces.

I'm not a WWI guy by any means, but I never neglect anything to read,if I think it might be interesting, and that's

how I'm finding the book His Time In Hell from Presido Press. If you have the chance read it.

• 2 weeks later...

"Call of Duty" by Buck Compton. He really dispells a lot of what happened in BoB, especially regarding his actual role vs. what was depicted by his character. I got to meet Buck in December at an event and he's a really down to earth type of guy.

"Call of Duty" by Buck Compton. He really dispells a lot of what happened in BoB, especially regarding his actual role vs. what was depicted by his character. I got to meet Buck in December at an event and he's a really down to earth type of guy.

Buck's book is an excellent read, really enjoyed it alot. Currently reading Sid Phillip's "You'll be Sor-ree".

rice paddy daddy
Buck's book is an excellent read, really enjoyed it alot. Currently reading Sid Phillip's "You'll be Sor-ree".

Couldn't quite decide to read next, so I went to the old standby: Winston Churchill's 6 volume history of WWII. I'm about 60 pages into volume one. Last time around it took almost two years to read all 6.

Also re-reading John Tolland's biography of Hitler at the same time.

Just finished At Dawn We Slept by Gordon Prange. If the Pearl Harbor attack interests you, this is THE best work on the subject I've ever found.

Currently rereading Memoirs of a Hollywood Soldier: An Extra's Journey to "The Pacific" By Jeff Ooi. (Also known as forum member bratwurstdimsum!)

Jeff writes about working on The Pacific in his short but excellent read.

Couldn't quite decide to read next, so I went to the old standby: Winston Churchill's 6 volume history of WWII. I'm about 60 pages into volume one. Last time around it took almost two years to read all 6.

Also re-reading John Tolland's biography of Hitler at the same time.

Just finished At Dawn We Slept by Gordon Prange. If the Pearl Harbor attack interests you, this is THE best work on the subject I've ever found.

I have a copy of Prange's Target Tokyo about the Richard Sorge spy ring. I have learned through various correspondence that Prang used a fair amount of the information that was uncovered (after the surrender) and distilled into various reports by my uncle. I have a signed copy that was given to my uncle by Prange, thanking him for the research input. From June 45 through the end of 1954, my uncle was part of the famed 441st CIC.

Just finished, Bootprints, An Infantryman's walk through WWII by Hobert Winebrenner - Michael McCoy. 358th IR 90th DIV. Great Read !

collector-5957
Right kno I am reading "Kill Bin Laden" by Dalton Fury. An ecellent book written by the senior ranking officer at the Battle of Tora Bora. It is a fist person account written by a former Delta officer and his experiences inside Afghanistan.

Just finished up "Six Minutes to Freedom" by Kurt Muse and John Gilstrap. This book detailed the capture of Kurt Muse by the Panamanian Defense Force and his subsequent incarceration for anti-Noriega radio broadcasts. It also talks about the Delta rescue of Muse from the Modelo Prison.

I recommend both books highly!!!

Arch

Kill Bin Laden-agreed excellent. Some unpublished missed chances.

TrenchfootJoe66

"Mobile Guerilla Force" by James Donahue (my current "on the road" book)

"The Ether Zone" by Ray Morris ( on the night stand at home)

"The Guts to Try" by James Kyle ( bathroom bookshelf)

I wish I could say that "The Ether Zone" was a super read full of new material. Unfortunately at least some of whats contained in the book can be found at the B-52 Project Delta website. That being said, it's still great to finally have some books on the legendary recon men of Project Delta. Im not saying that it was a waste of my money and I did enjoy it, I just had higher hopes for the book. Ill be ordering a copy of "Boots on the Ground" next as I continue to read all I can find on B-52.

Anybody who wants to learn a bit more about Operation Eagle Claw ( Iran Hostage rescue debacle) should have a look at "The Guts to Try". Im reading it for the second time.

I've turned my readings from WWII and Korea to something more recent and useful to what I might encounter in my future service. Now reading Baghdad at Sunrise; A Brigade Commander's War in Iraq. Very interesting insight into some of the challenges we faced with the "natives," as well as all the other problems that evolved after "mission accomplished" was proclaimed. Author is Col Peter Mansoor, who was CO of the "Ready First Combat Team," 1st Bde, 1st Armored Div.Goes into good detail about his unit's counterinsurgency operations. Definitely recommend!

Gary

labelkills254

Just finished D-Day by Ambrose and am almost done with the followup book Citizen Soldiers which chronicles the war in Europe from June 7th 1944 to May 8th 1945. Both are excellent and highly recommended.

From Brittany to the Reich by Joseph Balkoski. 270 pages read already.

A little bit disappointing, not his best book about the 29th inf. div. in WWII.

Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "Once Upon a Time in War" - The 99th Division in WWII, by Robert E. Humphrey. Great book about the hardships the 99th incurred in the bulge and beyond. :thumbsup:

"I was on Corregidor" by Amea Willoughby.

She was the wife of the Philippine High Commissioner's Executive Assistance. She tells of her experiences as a government official caught in the middle of WWII from the opening days of the war, to moving to Malinta Tunnel on Corregidor, and their evacuation to Australia.