What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

Just started reading "Reluctant Raiders" about Navy squadron VB-109 who flew the Navy version of the B-24, the PB4Y-1 and later -2 model. I got interested in more info while researching a posthumous Purple Heart I picked up belonging to a VB-109 crew member who was killed on a mission in the Marshall Islands. Very good so far, about the squadon's experience in the Pacific flying 10- 12 hour or more long range patrol and attack missions against Japanese held islands, shipping, subs and they would even take on other aircraft. Campaigns thery were involved in include pretty much the entire theatre of operations. The author 's father was a member of that squadron and he has written a couple more books on the war history of the Navy's PB4Y squadrons during the war that I have but haven't started reading yet. Very interesting info about a aspect of the war that you don't hear much about.

Just finished "The Forever War" by The New York Times correspondent Dexter Filkins on Iraq and Afghanistan (Excellent book) and started "The Only War We Had" by Michael Lee Lanning, a journal of a Platoon Leader of the 199th LIB in Vietnam.

Currently reading:

D-Day to Berlin, The Northwest Europe Campaign, 1944-45

by Alan J. Levine

Next in line that I plan to read:

Patton, The Man Behind the Legend, 1885-1945

by Martin Blumenson

• 2 weeks later...

Now reading "United States Army Air Service Wing Badges-Uniforms and Insignia, 1913-1918"

Actually not a lot of reading, a ton of illustrations though.

Signed by the author as well.

Corpsmancollector

Currently reading:

The Battle for Iwo Jima: Derrick Wright

SEALs: SEAL/UDT operations in Vietnam: T.L. Bosiljevac

I would strongly recommend both!

carbinephalen

Just finished reading a great book by Frank Priest, A WWII veteran from the 385th Infantry Regiment in the 76th Infantry Division. The title is 2D Squad, 2d Platoon, G Company, 385th Inf. Highly recommended! Tells the story of this man's battles in the later days of WWII capturing pillboxes on the Siegfried Line, crossing the Rhine, and meeting the Russians.

I just finished reading "The Last Centurion" by John Ringo. Its an Military alternate not to distant future with severely stark similarities to todays situations. A long book, but good!

Its told in the first person, like a memoir, and has parts where his wife butts in and adds her two cents. Those who are prior service (or familiar with soldiers mindsets) will get alot of fun out of it like I did.

I just finished reading "The Last Centurion" by John Ringo. Its an Military alternate not to distant future with severely stark similarities to todays situations. A long book, but good!

Its told in the first person, like a memoir, and has parts where his wife butts in and adds her two cents. Those who are prior service (or familiar with soldiers mindsets) will get alot of fun out of it like I did.

Damn good book, and I love Ringo! Hope he comes out with a follow on to it.

He an David Drake, with his Hammers Slammers, are my two fav mil sci-fi authors.

DarkTroopers post got me excited, and I forgot why I came here :blink::lol:

Am about halfway through Ernie Pyles "Brave Men". Beautiful read :thumbsup:

"Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption" by Laura Hillenbrand. Stunningly good book; am half way through and can't put it down. Fantastic story, incredible detail, and insightful analysis. Reads like a novel. If you have any interest in WW II, the Army Air Corps, the Pacific Theater, the Home Front, the plight of POWs, or even the 1936 Olympics - you have to read this one.

Am currently reading Issac Comacho an American hero by Billy Waugh, both of whom autographed it for me. The book tells the story of the capture of 4 American Special Forces NCO's in 1963 after their capture following the attack on camp Hiep Hoa. It will definitely hold your attention and the neat thing about this book is that the author makes frequent references to the books website where you will find maps, drawings and other info pertaining to that chapter.

Just finished HELMET FOR MY PILLOW a story of the USMC from Parris Island to the Pacific. Written by Robert Leckie who has written a number of USMC books. This one follows his induction into the Corps and through boot camp and New River which is now Camp Lejeune. It then follows him through combat in the Pacific theater. This is a well written book and I read it after reading two other USMC-Pacific books which were all given to me.

I also just finished reading HERO OF THE PACIFIC by James Brady. This book follows the short career of MOH winner John Basilone. The author is a former Marine officer who was interested in telling the TRUE story of Basilone and exposing all of the myths and exaggeratrions with the theory that Basilone was a true hero without any embellishments. He is followed from the small town of Raritan NJ through his training and into combat on Guadalcanal where he wins the MOH. After a publicity tour promoting war bonds and on to being a drill instructor at Camp Pendleton where he demands to go back ito combat. It follows him right up until his death on the shores of Iwo Jimo. This is highly recommended if you are interested in the USMC during WWll.

I also just finished reading HERO OF THE PACIFIC by James Brady. This book follows the short career of MOH winner John Basilone. The author is a former Marine officer who was interested in telling the TRUE story of Basilone and exposing all of the myths and exaggeratrions with the theory that Basilone was a true hero without any embellishments. He is followed from the small town of Raritan NJ through his training and into combat on Guadalcanal where he wins the MOH. After a publicity tour promoting war bonds and on to being a drill instructor at Camp Pendleton where he demands to go back ito combat. It follows him right up until his death on the shores of Iwo Jimo. This is highly recommended if you are interested in the USMC during WWll.

Is this a new book? Thanks for this info -- I think this might be a Christmas request for me...

Pete

AirborneGrunt

Just about to finish "War Paint" by Bill Goshen. Have two more books to read after that. Will start with "Ghosts of the central highlands" by Kregg Jorgenson, then "Anatomy of a division, the 1st Cav. in Vietnam" by Shelby Stanton.

Lawrence

3/504th PIR

'88-'92