What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

I thought I would start a thread to see what people are currently reading. This doesn't have to be your favorite book. Just whatever you are reading right now. We may get some good suggestions. I am always looking for good first person accounts of war. To get this started, I will list what I have just finished too.

Just finished: "The Wrong Stuff - The Adventures and Misadventures of an 8th Air Force Aviator" by Truman Smith

Currently reading: "No Time for Fear - Voices of American Military Nurses in WWII" by Diane Burke Fessler

Thanks...Kat

Wings Across the World The story of the ATC by Hugh Cave and AH-64 Apache Units of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom by Jonathan Bernstein. Both good reads, and recomended. Dave

"River Run Red" by Andrew Ward, Viking Penguin, 2005. 530 pages.

Sub-title "The Fort Pillow Massacre in the American Civil War". ISBN 0-670-03440-1.

I'm getting prepared for my visit to Fort Pillow for their anniversary event. I'm taking some family members who have never been there. Our direct ancestor was one of the Confederate KIA's in that Battle.

Steve

A Military Pilot s Exciting Life and Visit from the Hereafter . Kenneth Slaker.

Firsthand account of a B-17 pilot who finished 50 missions out of North Africa & Italy. He also flew in the Berlin airlift where he escaped from East Germany after his plane crashed. It is a pretty good read. The book details his whole career, a few parts are a little slow.

The Silent War .

South African Recce operations

1969-94 .

Peter Stiff .

A fantastic read .

Covert war is dangerous at best and even more dangerous when a govt denies it ..with silence .

But years later access to the files makes this story read like a dirty James Bond thriller.

Blood diamond like Disney land .

Empty trucks roll into Zambia only to return piled high with bodies .

24 hours a day .

If you want to know what happened to the Selous scouts and the Rhodesian SAS then this is a read for you .

Printed in South Africa in 1999 by Galago I got this book many years ago in Ebay and am only not hitting it .

owen

The Last Mission by Jim Smith.

Just bought some patches from the son of one of the pilots who participated in the last bombing mission to Japan in WWII.

"Stillwell and the American Experience in China, 1911-45" by Barbara W. Tuchman

It's sort of a Biography of General Stillwell and the history of our involvement with China at the same time. It's very interesting and it sheds a lot of light on the CBI Theater.

Dennis

John Charles Fremont: Character As Destiny by Andrew Rolle

Chronicles of the Gringos: The U.S. Army in the Mexican War by Geo. W. Smith and Chas. Judah

collectsmedals

"Thunder Below" by Rear Admiral Eugene B. Fluckey.

It is the story of the U.S.S. Barb and her war patrols in World War II.

The crew of the Barb earned a combined Medal of Honor, 6 Navy Crosses, 23 Silver Stars, 24 Bronze Stars, 4 Navy Marine Corps Medals.

This is a great book by a true American hero and I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys reading about submarine naval warfare.

Below is the battle flag from the Barb. The original can be seen in the Submarine Museum in New London Connecticut.

post-294-1239316148.jpg

I just finished "Dear Mom" by Joseph T. Ward, a former USMC Scout Sniper in Vietnam. It's an excellent book.

Right now I am digging into "The Mighty Eighth" by Gerald Astor, about the 8th AF in WWII, and "Backdoor to Berlin" by Wes Gallagher, a long out of print (1943) book on Operation Torch.

Cheers!

Syd thumbsup.gif

Camp_Kearny

Just finished the "Coldest Winter" by Halberstam, it was pretty good but could have used some more editing. It's a shame he was killed as he was a great researcher and author.

Right now I am reading "To Conquer Hell" by Edward Lengel. I am only 50 pages into it, but a good history so far of the largest battle of WWI for the AEF.

Ian

Corpsmancollector

Force Recon Diary, 1969. Bruce H. Norton. Bantam books.

Navy corpsman with 3d Force Recon. A gripping, detailed acount. Recommended.

Will

Behind the Lines by: Andrew Carroll

It has a much deeper meaning as I sit in the barracks at Ft. Hood reading it in preparation for a deployment to Iraq.

Mike

I agree--That was an excellent book.

Steph

Squad leader

Four Stars of Valor by Phil Nordyke.

This is the combat history of the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, the only parachute regiment to make four combat jumps during WWII.

post-1681-1239652813.jpg

"Night Drop" by BGen S.L.A. Marshall - 1962 - The Story of the Airborne Operation in Normandy June 1944. Excellent History!

Bob