What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

SemperParatus

A Careless Word...A Needless Sinking: by Captain Arthur R. Moore. The history of the staggering losses suffered by the U.S. Merchant Marine, both in ships and personnel during World War II. American Merchant Marine Museum, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY.

I just finished Admiral Nimitz: The Commander of the Pacific Ocean Theater by Brayton Harris. An OK book that could have been better by making it longer and adding more detail. I liked the anecdotes the author used to help define his character. probably the best way to give the sense of the man in such a short book.

The author does mention the great debates after the war when there was serious consideration to reduce or eliminate the Navy and Marine Corps. While I am familiar with this, I'd love to learn more. Does anyone know of any good books on the subject?
A good overview of Nimitz, but no real meat here.
Mikie

I just finished ready "Goodbye, Darkness" by William Manchester. It is one strange book. What is good is really good, but what is bad is really, really bad.

I read this book a number of years ago and agree completely with your assessment (as you spelled out in a later post).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Thought I would bring this back to the top with some books I have read rather recently -

*The Dead and Those About to Die by John C. McManus - great book about the 1st division landing on D-Day. Goes into great detail about every aspect of the events that day from the point of view of that unit. I also appreciated the author describing the many mistakes or poor decisions that were made as well. The heavy useless equipment some had and the tanks that sank like a stone first come to mind. Too often I have seen it described on TV, documentaries or whatnot as almost a perfectly executed plan. Had the Germans been properly prepared and reinforced who knows what could have happened...

*Lee and His Men at Gettysburg by Clifford Dowdey - goes in depth on the Confederate planning and tactics used during the battle and the overall Gettysburg campaign. Mainly focuses on the officers and the big names. I found the book interesting. However, I did find the author seemed to give Lee a pass and blamed his subordinates for losing the battle. I think the author was from Virginia so he probably was not as impartial as he could have been. Might as well named the book "Why Lee's Men Let him Down" or something to that affect.

In Harms Way by Doug Stanton -

I reread this one - As many know it is a classic on the sinking of the USS Indianapolis during WWII. Great all around book that focuses on several different types of characters and their points of view. Still find it very sad what happened to Capt McVay and how he was made the scapegoat when so many others either dropped the ball or were incompetent. I also wish they would make a decent movie on this and give it the treatment and budget it would deserve.

Mary Chesnut's diary "Civil War"

Finally tackling all 850+ pages of that, truly an interesting book, personal view of civilian life in the South before, during and following the war.

• 2 months later...

I just finished reading "Tanks in Hell, A Marine Corps Tank Company on Tarawa" by Oscar E. Gilbert. An excellent read, I highly recommend it.

post-165768-0-35209900-1560279961.png

WWIIBuff1945

Just finished this book by Gerald Astor and its an excellent read especially if you are into airborne history. He was a WWII veteran and authored a number of interesting books.

post-158759-0-35000000-1560308965_thumb.jpg

BILL THE PATCH

Just finished this book by Gerald Astor and its an excellent read especially if you are into airborne history. He was a WWII veteran and authored a number of interesting books.

{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif IMG_2899.jpg

Awesome book, got to meet col. Wm boyle years ago. He lived in Saratoga NY. He was mayor also for awhile.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Right now, One womans Army, by Charity Adams Early. It's about the only female, African-American WAC's unit, during WW2. Very interesting subject.

• 3 months later...

Been Re Reading The Last Kaiser by Giles Macdonogh, published in England in 2000

Not that bad of a book, But Then I Always Love a Good Kaiser Story :lol:

md30212241112.jpg

Read two books in a week... "Legend" and 13 Hours

Both were hard to put down.

Evelyn Wood Speed Reading? Nah that would be two books a day, big ones like War and Peace and The Longest Day :lol:

Evelyn Wood Speed Reading? Nah that would be two books a day, big ones like War and Peace and The Longest Day :lol:

;)...may have to switch to audio books at my advanced age.... :lol:

Currently reading "I'm Staying With My Boys" about USMC legend John Basilone. It's a great read in my opinion, although it's written in the first person so I have to keep reminding myself it's not an autobiography.

post-154340-0-97437300-1571421978.jpeg