What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

"The Navajo Code Talkers" by Doris Paul, 1974.

Currently binge reading on the WW2 Navajo Code Talkers that served with the Marines in the PTO. This is an older book about an absolutely fascinating piece of American history. Full disclosure - I felt myself flinching at times when the author describes the treatment of the Navajo people by the US government because I knew a shaming was about to be dealt. Instead the author lays the historical fact and for background to the story, and moves ahead.

Fascinating read!

• 1 month later...

I am now reading "The Historical Atlas of Judaism" a summary anthological geo-political study of the 4000 years of Jewish faith from ancient Palestine up to modern Israel, in the context (almost entirely) of the wars and leaders of wars during that long period, by: Dr. Ian Barnes and Josephine Bacon.

I am currently reading "Shoot Like a Girl One Woman's Dramatic Fight in Afghanistan and on the Home Front" by Mary Jennings Hegar

ParanormalTrooper

Im reading "Lucky Lady, the World War II Heroics of the USS Santa Fe and Franklin" by Steve Jackson, and "Command and Control" by Eric Schlosser.

Lucky Lady is, obviously, about the USS Santa Fe and Franklin while Command and Control is about SAC and the times we almost blew ourselves up.

I currently finished "Bloody Roads to Germany: At Huertgen Forest and the Bulge--an American Soldier's Courageous Story of World War II" by William Meller.

A story of the authors experience as an infantryman with 28th division from Huertgen Forest, through battle of bulge, and end with his time as a POW and rescue at the end of the war.

• 2 weeks later...

Strong men armed by Robert Leckie.... it's easy to tell that this was written by someone who was right there in the thick of it.

Im reading "Lucky Lady, the World War II Heroics of the USS Santa Fe and Franklin" by Steve Jackson, and "Command and Control" by Eric Schlosser.

Lucky Lady is, obviously, about the USS Santa Fe and Franklin while Command and Control is about SAC and the times we almost blew ourselves up.

I read "Command and Control" last year. There was a documentary version on the Science Channel the other night. It was a very sobering book. I grew up in the '60s, 15 miles from a SAC base. We were aware that we could get nuked by the Russians at any time, but I had no idea that there was just as big a threat from our own bombs. Enjoy!

Mikie

• 1 month later...

Searching a other Army Regulation I come across this book

"Congressional medal of honor, the distinguished service cross and the distinguished service medal issued by the War department since April 6, 1917, up to and including General orders, no. 126, War department, November 11, 1919"

https://archive.org/details/congressionalmed00unitrich

Michael

post-8324-0-26419400-1498162113_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I just started this one. The blurp on the back cover contains this line: 'Loved by his soldiers and barely tolerated by the high command'. Now that got my attention ;).

post-169612-0-65113000-1501410511_thumb.jpg

Rene

Cobra II The Inside Story of the Invasion and Occupation of Iraq.

So far a great example of the confusion, miscommunication and misinformation on the battlefield. It's a "think piece" so you really have to pay attention to the players.

Good book!

Garandomatic

"The Fleet At Flood Tide" by James Hornfischer. Really cool look at the American checkmate against Japan in the Marianas.

I just finished "Voices of the Pacific" and now I am reading "Red Blood, Black Sand" by Chuck Tatum. "Voices of the Pacific" was great and I highly recommend it. I hope "Red Blood, Black Sand" will be as good.

Just finished "Strike Zion" by: William Stevenson and Leon Uris...

Stevenson, a war correspondent since WWII, wrote about the Six-Day War of 1967 - international and political events leading up to, during and afterward. Uris added a special postscript.

Unusually different viewpoint, by a non-Israeli non-Jew.

I just started this one. The blurp on the back cover contains this line: 'Loved by his soldiers and barely tolerated by the high command'. Now that got my attention ;).

SAM_2101.JPG

Rene

A great book; I was unaware of his son's death in Vietnam until I read it. So much service from one family.

• 4 weeks later...

"In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson.

The story of American ambassador William Dodd's time in Berlin in 1933.

I just started that. It looks good.