What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

Reading "The Deserters: A Hidden History of World War II" by Charles Glass, an area of WW2 history that has not been publicized much, if at all. Very interesting!

I just picked up a copy of The Deserters a couple weeks ago because like you said it's not a topic you ever hear about.

Crucible of War by Fred Anderson . It's about the 7 years war ( French and Indian) . Living in Western Pa this is a topic my son and I both enjoy

I'm currently reading Red Platoon by Clinton Romesha. I'm only 100 pages into it, but I highly recommend it. For those who don't know it's about the attack on COP Keating in Afghanistan. Sgt. Romesha earned the Medal of Honor for his actions during that attack, though his book does not focus on him but on the entire outpost. Excellent book so far.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Reading: John H. Morrow, Jr., The Great War: An Imperial History. New York: Routledge, 2004.

Pretty good so far, WIDE scope, breaks things down very well.

Pete

phantomfixer

The Other Side of Time....a combat surgeons story of the march across Europe WWII...

My first thought, when I saw the book was, combat surgeon....??? Am I going to read about amputations and battle injuries...not really my thing....but after the first ten pages, I was hooked...halfway through now...quick read... enlightening...along the same lines as Company Commander, fast paced...great detail, very personal

Re Reading Robert K. Massie's Dreadnought followed by his Castles of Steel. Two big fat books on the German British Naval tensions/race, with the second on the Naval War in the Great War, a must for general military history students.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reading book one of Jack Hunter's 'Bruno Stachel' books. The movie, "the Blue Max" was a so-so adaptation of the book and I'm about 75% through it to see the differences (the book is way better). Can't wait to read of his exploits through the inter-war years and into WW2.

Yeah, Stachel died in the movie, but not in the books...

I'm reading book one of Jack Hunter's 'Bruno Stachel' books. The movie, "the Blue Max" was a so-so adaptation of the book and I'm about 75% through it to see the differences (the book is way better). Can't wait to read of his exploits through the inter-war years and into WW2.

post-34986-0-61748700-1469584436.jpg

I had no idea it was from a book the movie, I thought it was a screenwriting.

I guess we'll have to read the book, I know you won't spill the beans on what he does in the Third Reich era, like maybe a rival of Fatso Goering's to be head of the Luftwaffe, if so, Stachel :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

One of these days, Stachel, I am going to shake you up considerably.

• 2 weeks later...

Re Reading this book, it's called The Mother Tongue - English And How It Got That Way, yes, not military, but it is History, and one I highly recommend, a keeper, once you start reading it you won't want to put it down, very fascinating stuff.

post-34986-0-79620100-1471836696.jpg

• 1 month later...

I'm reading:

Webster, Francis H. Somewhere Over There: The Letters, Diary, and Artwork of a World War I Corporal. Edited by Darrek D. Orwig. Norman, OK: University of Oklahoma Press, 2016. 277 pages.

Webster was in Machine Gun Company, 168th Infantry Regiment, 42nd Division, and, sadly, he was killed in action in October 1918 in the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. His cartoons, illustrations, and watercolors are very good. I've just started the book, and it looks like a good read, with his diary and letters home.

Pete

Re Reading this book, it's called The Mother Tongue - English And How It Got That Way, yes, not military, but it is History, and one I highly recommend, a keeper, once you start reading it you won't want to put it down, very fascinating stuff.

attachicon.gifs-l200.jpg

40 years ago, back in high school, I took an Lit class with Mr Wilson, the best teacher I ever had. He spent a day giving us a lecture on the evolution of the English language. It was fascinating, and just about the best darned hour of classtime ever. I'll need to look up this book. Thanks for the heads up.

Mikie

The original Sherlock Holmes stories from 'Strand' magazine.

Great choice. Holmes and Watson are my favorite literary characters! I have an original American edition Strand magazine with part of Hound of the Baskervilles. Horrible condition, but one of my favorite possessions.

Mikie

I'm reading:

Marian Small, When Johnny Doesn’t Come Marching Home. Victoria, Canada: Friesen Press, 2016. Paperback, 341pp.

It's the story of her father, a doughboy in the 147th Infantry Regiment, 37th Division; he was wounded in action. It's good so far.

Pete

I’m currently reading the novel “Firefox”. While the novel is far more accurate with the technical aspects that the Clint Eastwood movie was (the MIG-31 is described as an upgraded MIG-25, not the sci-fi looking thing in the film), I think the movie did a better job with the characters. Eastwood’s character is more of a jerk in the book and not very likeable. He also had no issues with killing anyone, as in the book he kills the Russian test pilot instead of just knocking him out in the movie. The author is clearly English, by the way the prose is written, and it doesn't exactly ring true a few times when he describes the Americans or has them say some things.

Also, the book’s character flew MIGs out of Tonopah for the joint CIA/USAF project to evaluate captured Soviet aircraft, instead of simply being a good pilot who had a Russian-speaking member of his family as described in the film.

Anyway, it’s a darned good book and I also have the sequel, which I’ll be reading as soon as I’m finished with this.

Just finishing up "Behind Hitler's Lines" aka "The Simple Sounds of Freedom" by Thomas H. Taylor. The story of Joseph Beyrle, who served in the 101st and was the only soldier to serve in both US and Soviet army during WWII. He was captured after D-day, escaped, was recaptured and tortured by Gestapo, saved by the Wehrmacht, escaped again, joined up with the Russians and was wounded during the push to Berlin.

A great untold story and gives some good insight to POW life and what it was like in the Soviet army.

"A Place Among The Nations" by: Benjamin Netanyahu

A history book about the formation of the state of Israel prior to, during and between various wars and other international political developments.