What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

Garandomatic

Seems like I'm on a Flying Tiger 'marathon'!

After finishing 'God is My Co Pilot', I started, and finished, 'A Flying Tiger's Diary', by Charles Bond.

Now I'm reading 'Tex' Hill': Flying Tiger!

Joe

Have you read "Tale of a Tiger" by RT Smith? I read it years ago, really enjoyed it.

Have you read "Tale of a Tiger" by RT Smith? I read it years ago, really enjoyed it.

Yup, and I agree. It was a good read!

I was already thinking about reading it again when I get done with Tex's book.

I also have 'The Lady and the Tigers', by Olga Greenlaw. This is one I have not yet read , so I'll probably follow on with it.

Joe

I just finished The Fourth Brigade in World War I (a history of each battalion of the 5th and 6th Marine Regiments) by George Clark. I'm now reading Georg Hegel's Introduction to the Philosophy of History for my doctorate class. Not specifically military history, but it's what I'm reading now.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Sgt. Swigart

A Military Pilot s Exciting Life and Visit from the Hereafter . Kenneth Slaker.

Firsthand account of a B-17 pilot who finished 50 missions out of North Africa & Italy. He also flew in the Berlin airlift where he escaped from East Germany after his plane crashed. It is a pretty good read. The book details his whole career, a few parts are a little slow.

I was very fortunate in my work in the Medical field in an area full of WW2 vets to meet several that had written books themselves with very small publishing. I ended up getting a few signed copies of their work. The writing is not always the best but the stories in them are amazing and are told elsewhere. I will list some examples of these in another post. Maybe some one will get lucky and spot one somewhere.

Sgt. Swigart

I am reading "Plains Indian Raiders" by Wilbur Sturtevant Nye. University of Oklahoma Press. 1968.

It is a very good book, not as sympathetic to the Indians as some modern tomes. It pretty much tells it like it was for both sides, good and bad. About half the book is filled with rare photos of chiefs and warriors.

Sgt. Swigart

I'm going through the WWII classic, 'God Is My Co Pilot', by Robert L. Scott.

I picked it up several years ago from a buddy of mine that deals only in military history. Now what prompted me to start it, was that I'm currently building a model of a P-40E and had decided to do Scott's ship. I pulled it from the shelf and cracked it open more or less in the middle and started reading. Scott mentions that the armor plate from 'Old Exterminator' was sent to the mess hall to be used as a pancake griddle! I was hooked and have a hard time putting it down. I'll be done in a day or two!

Joe

One of the first military books I ever read as a kid. I think that my Mom recommended it to me.

I'm reading:

Walter Rundell, Jr.: Military Money: A Fiscal History of the U.S. Army Overseas in World War II. College Station, TX: Texas A&M University Press, 1980.

As a former pay clerk when I was an enlisted man in the Air Force, this kind of thing interests me. The book is pretty good so far, if you like this sort of thing. This was recommended by a fellow forum member, and I was able to get a fine copy via Amazon.com for about $12.

Pete

I'm currently about halfway through Learning under Fire - the 112th Cavalry Regiment in WWII, by James S. Powell. Originally a doctoral thesis, it is a well-written work covering a National Guard unit's preparation and deployment for war in the Asiatic-Pacific area.

I am also concurrently reading an equally scholarly treatise, Defending the Driniumor - Covering Force Operations in New Guinea, 1944 (the Leavenworth Papers) by Dr. Edward J. Drea. This covers the hard-fought campaign that the 112th Cavalry and 32d Division took part in while in New Guinea. The second part of it focuses on the 112th.

tdogchristy90

The Bombers and the Bombed by Overy.

Next up...

Bombs, Cities, and Civilians: American air strategy in ww2 by Crane.

right now im reading "over the beach" by zalin grant its about piolets flying missions over north vietnam.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now reading 'The Wildcat in WWII', by Barrett Tillman. Geez, I can't put it down!

The author details the combat career of the F4F in vivid detail.

Joe

Just finished 'Unbroken"..great book...........mike

Me too... The time spent describing the days adrift could be it's own book. The prison camp section made you think about the totality of the physical and mental abuse that the POWs were subjected too.

Definitely a good read.

And If I Perish: Frontline US Army Nurses in WWII by Monahan and Neidel-Greenlee.

I came to this one largely because of recommendations here on the forum. Only 100 pages in but an excellent read so far about an aspect of WWII I didn't know nearly enough about. This book makes me want to pick up All This Hell: US Nurses Imprisoned by the Japanese by Monahan as well.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

Hap Arnold and the Evolution of American Airpower by Alan Daso.

I don't typically read a lot of fiction but earlier this year I read The Winds of War and its sequal War and Remembrance both by Herman Wouk, a great but monumental read.

Hap Arnold and the Evolution of American Airpower by Alan Daso.

I don't typically read a lot of fiction but earlier this year I read The Winds of War and its sequal War and Remembrance both by Herman Wouk, a great but monumental read.

I recently read Winds of War and War and Rememberance. Both were great works. Best fiction I have read in a while. I am working my way through the miniseries now. As for my current read, The Lingest Day - Cornelius Ryan.