What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

NGCoastArtillery41

I'm reading a book that has probably passed through the hands of most of you, "The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors."

Just finished Air War over Korea (Robert Jackson) and started Half A Wing, Three Engines and A Prayer B-17s over Germany ( Brian D O'Neill)

Raidercollector

Just Finished THIS HERE IS ' G " COMPANY, By R,H. Smith. All about the 4th Marine Division G Company from being to the end. Excellent book about G Company through all there campaign's. A must to read about the marines. This Marine kept a pretty accurate Diary on G company.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

"Empire of the Summer Moon." by S.C. Gwynne. About the rise and fall of the Comanche empire. A must read for anyone interested in Western history. Really a remarkably engaging book.

The Reaper by Nicholas Irving 3rd Ranger Battalion Special Ops Sniper. 33 Confirmed Kills.if you are on facebook, like his page. This week he is setting up a PO Box for signed copies of his book.

Currently reading: "No Time for Fear - Voices of American Military Nurses in WWII" by Diane Burke Fessler

Thanks...Kat

Kat,

I'm new to the boards, so it's good to meet you.

I'm currently browsing through "No Time for Fear" as well! What a coincidence. I feel like females serving in wars did get overlooked when they contributed to so much. They kept the soldiers alive, for crying out loud!

But since I barely have time to read with my job as a journalist, I'm about to finish listening to the audiobook Letters from War by Andrew Carroll. What an interesting take on the exchange of letters between soldiers and their families. It's sad to know that the soldiers felt like they couldn't express themselves to talk. I'm glad there are more support groups for them now, especially with PDST.

I'm about to start another audiobook called Defiant by Alvin Towney, an account of POWs from Vietnam.

• 3 weeks later...

I am currently reading Read Blood, Black Sands fighting alongside John Basilone from boot camp to Iwo Jima by Chuck Tatum.

Just Finished THIS HERE IS ' G " COMPANY, By R,H. Smith. All about the 4th Marine Division G Company from being to the end. Excellent book about G Company through all there campaign's. A must to read about the marines. This Marine kept a pretty accurate Diary on G company.

Nick

Nick -

I was instantly interested in this book as I am a Chicago boy and "G" Company was heavily populated with marines from Chicago, at least originally, as it was a local reserve unit. I was able to find a copy of the book at Amazon but the author is John E. Lane not R.H. Smith. Is this the one?

Thanks!

Bill K.

Nick -

Sorry, I made an immediate assumption that "G" Company was about G Company 24th marines because that is where my interest is - I guess just wishful ,thinking! :wacko:

I'm still going to pick up a copy and read it. I see the confusion, the cover features a UNIS marked USMC dungaree jacket with the name "R.H. Smith" on it but the author is listed as John E. Lane, hence the confusion. I assume Lane took the diaries of Smith and put them into readable form? Thanks for mentioning this book as I had never heard of it - Very best,

Bill K.

Raidercollector

Nick -

Sorry, I made an immediate assumption that "G" Company was about G Company 24th marines because that is where my interest is - I guess just wishful ,thinking! :wacko:

I'm still going to pick up a copy and read it. I see the confusion, the cover features a UNIS marked USMC dungaree jacket with the name "R.H. Smith" on it but the author is listed as John E. Lane, hence the confusion. I assume Lane took the diaries of Smith and put them into readable form? Thanks for mentioning this book as I had never heard of it - Very best,

Bill K.

Thanks for the correction Bill. Its a great book. I loved it.

Nick

• 1 month later...

Currently reading "A Few Good Women - Memoirs of a WWII Marine". This is a great book that I can't put down. The women Marines were just as tough as the men Marines. :lol:

...Kat

• 2 weeks later...

"Empire of the Summer Moon." by S.C. Gwynne. About the rise and fall of the Comanche empire. A must read for anyone interested in Western history. Really a remarkably engaging book.

Sounds like a good one. I have an illustred history of the Apache wars which is fascniating.

I'm in the middle of "A Soldier's Story" by Omar Bradley.

Of course it's pretyt high-level stuff, so I'm having a hard time with it as I find myself easily being distracted away from reading it, which is never a good sign.

Before that, I tried to slog through “The Deserters: A Hidden History of World War II,” by Charles Glass but gave up after a while. The book pretty much made it sound like everyone walked off the line or wanted to during WW2. God knows I don't think everyone in the Greatest Generation was perfect, but the book, to me, was an attempt to make it sound like desertion off the line was an extremely common thing. All the vets I've talked to in WW2 would not support this, as I think maybe only one or two ever even mentioned someone in their unit taking flight.

I have just received a recently released copy of RESCUE AT LOS BANOS by Bruce Henderson. Mr. Henderson, author of several WW II books including DOWN TO THE SEA detailing the plights of DD's and DE's caught in "Halsey' Hurricane." If this book is as interesting and as well researched as the former, it should turn out to be an exceptional read. I would be interested to know if any members of this forum has this book on their schedule to read.

I'm going through the WWII classic, 'God Is My Co Pilot', by Robert L. Scott.

I picked it up several years ago from a buddy of mine that deals only in military history. Now what prompted me to start it, was that I'm currently building a model of a P-40E and had decided to do Scott's ship. I pulled it from the shelf and cracked it open more or less in the middle and started reading. Scott mentions that the armor plate from 'Old Exterminator' was sent to the mess hall to be used as a pancake griddle! I was hooked and have a hard time putting it down. I'll be done in a day or two!

Joe

I'm in the middle of reading "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose for the second time. It never gets old that's for sure, and I'm still amazed at what E Company went through.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like I'm on a Flying Tiger 'marathon'!

After finishing 'God is My Co Pilot', I started, and finished, 'A Flying Tiger's Diary', by Charles Bond.

Now I'm reading 'Tex' Hill': Flying Tiger!

Joe