What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

"IT TOOK HEROES" A CAVALRY CHAPLAIN'S MEMOIR OF VIETNAM by Claude D. Newby... Very intense book about a 1st Cav Chaplain that spent his time in the field with his men. The only Chaplain to receive the Combat Infantryman Badge in Vietnam. I'm almost done reading it. I couldn't put it down. L.T.

• 4 weeks later...

"The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien

Can't argue with The Things they Carried. That is a GREAT book, especially the title story. "First Lieutenant Jimmy Cross carried letters from a girl named Martha..." Now that you mention this one, I may have to go back and read it again.

The new book " FLIGHT GEAR 1942-1945 " by Mathieu Bianchi aka Blue leader here on the forum !! Excellent reference book !!!

I just finished T-Patch to Victory, the 36th "Texas" Division in France, Germany, Austria by Vincent M. Lockhart. A must read!

Dan.

"Hunt for Red October" James Clancy

Only recently became a fan of military fiction.

After reading Herman Wouk's "Caine Mutiny" , "Winds of War", and "War and Remembrance" I thought I would give Clancy a try.

Just finished Is Paris Burning? From the 60's but very well written and researched. Most of the people were still alive when written interesting to read about battles right in the heart of Paris where all the landmarks are. I recommend for ww2 and Paris buffs.

I'm currently reading "Shots Fired in Anger," by LTC (Ret.) John George, who was a lieutenant in the IL National Guard at the outbreak of WW2. He also had a lot of experience as a competitive shooter before the war, including the 1939 Camp Perry National Rifle Matches. This is the 2d edition (1981) which is expanded from the original with its Merrill's Marauders description.

This is a GREAT book, and an easy, enjoyable read. He describes the training which the 132d IN Regiment went through, the deployment to the S. Pacific, and his unit's role in the later days of the Guadalcanal campaign, from 8 DEC 42 - 7 APR 43. This period includes working the beaches unloading ships, getting drunk on homemade hooch and thorough descriptions of combat ops against the Japanese. George was a shooter, and used that set of skills in combat, as well as lacing his narrative with descriptions of the weapons and tactics used - and how he was able to adjust the tactics some, based on his shooting experience.

I've just begun reading the second section of the book, which is a detailed description of the Japanese weapons used against the Allies in the S. Pacific. The 3d section of the book will detail George's experience with Merrill's Marauders. There are two sections of photos of the Marauders, which George apparently took. I think

Cons: sparse map coverage of the Guadalcanal fight. There's a map of the island on the frontispiece, but it's not terribly detailed. There are better maps of the section about Burma, but I haven't read that yet to have an opinion of them.

I'd recommend this for anybody interested in small unit leadership, competitive shooting applications in combat, the Guadalcanal campaign, Japanese small arms or Merrill's Marauders.

Steve

I just received my copy (the expanded 1981 edition, hardcover) and am currently reading it. I higly recommend this book to those interested in the ground war in the Pacific.

414oU9xYWHL._SL500_SY344_BO1,204,203,200

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Code Talker by Chester Nez with Judith Schiess Avila. This a memoir of one of the original Navajo code talkers of WWII. Very interesting read.

Please recommend any WWII US Navy novels (aka fiction) which you have enjoyed.

I read The Caine Mutiny, Winds of War, and War and Remembrance.

Thanks

Auggie

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got some great books for Christmas. I am currently reading "When Women First Wore Army Shoes - A First Person Account of Service as a member of the Women's Army Corps During WWII". It is great so far.

...Kat

• 2 weeks later...

Recently i've finished The End -by Ian Kershaw about the final 12 months of the war from the German side. (Hard going but interesting)

Berlin -about life in the German capital from 1939-1945 (Interesting)

Citizen Sailors -about the Royal Navy from 1938-1945 (Excellent Read)

D-Day - Anthony Beevor and Overlord -Max Hastings (Normandy Overdose)

Got Cassino -Hollow Victory by John Ellis and Day of Battle -by Rick Atkinson lined up (Both about Italy) -Last year i also read Monte Cassino by Matthew Parker and Italy's sorrow by James Holland -both good books on Italy.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
Hookemhorns88

I am presently reading Rick Atkinson's Guns at Last Light. Like the previous two books in the trilogy it is quite engaging and I find it hard to put down. However, I will note that there are a lot of words that he uses that I have never heard of before! Though I can often figure the meaning of the words out through the context of use I do often find myself consulting a dictionary to find out their meaning. By the way, I am keeping a running list of "new" words I find in his books! (Did this for his previous two books as well). Never too old to learn!!

This year is a "big" one in the United Kingdom as it marks the 100th anniversary of the beginning of the 1914-18 War. ( 1917- '18 in the US) Throughout the year there will be a plethora of commemorative events leading up to August 4th which was when it all began. The BBC is devoting a lot of airtime to it and this book forms the basis of an excellent documentary series which in currently being screened. (See both links below.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01npqws

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww1

post-8022-0-10695500-1391258153.jpg