What are you currently reading?

cutiger83

Hi fellow book worms. ;)

I'm currently reading The screaming eagles at Normandy by Mark Bando, very interesting book so far! Full of photo's I've never seen before.

Recommended for everyone who wants to know what happened on D-day, D+1, ...

The narrative gets a little chaotic at times but that's just a detail. Some sequences really appeal to your imagination in the positive way so that really makes up for the chaos now and then.

Some horrible lines too, letting you know what war is all about, even in the elite troops like the airborne.

Check it out!

Just finished "Unbroken" and it was an excellent read. Of all things, I am finally reading "Up Front" by Bill Maudlin. I have always enjoyed his drawings but i never read the text. The text is an excellent description of the infantry and is a very fast read. An oldie but a goodie.

Just finished "Up Front" and right about about to jump off for the break-out at Anzio in "The Rock Of Anzio: From Sicily To Dachau, A History Of The U.S. 45th Infantry Division"

"At Home" by Bill Bryson. A fascinating read from Britain's favourite adopted American! Just read the chapter about Thomas Jefferson's home at Monticello. Recommended!

post-8022-1315510434.jpg

Currently reading "CW2" by Layne Heath. It is about the warrant officers who flew helicopters in Vietnam.

The book is fiction but the author served two tours in Vietnam.

Great read so far. ....Kat

Two:

1. Just finished, for the second reading, POLES APART by George Cholewczynski, re the Polish 1st Abn Bde. Still good and of course sad.

2. Have been listening to, on disc, THIRTEEN MOONS by Charles Frazier. Not military, but very well-written and seemingly well-researched, about the saga of a circa 1820 NC orphan sold into bondage, then sent into Cherokee territory as trading post operator who "went native" and was adopted into the Cherokee nation, in CW raised a Cherokee Legion (in part to keep a lot of braves from going off with other units to be slaughtered in the big war). Author also wrote COLD MOUNTAIN (the book is a lot better than the movie version, surprise surprise), which IS set in the military framework of the CW.

• 2 weeks later...

Being interested in the event that preceded the events of Pearl Harbor I am currently reading the book THE PANAY INCIDENT by HG Perry. Occuring three years prior to the bombing of Pear Harbor, the significance of this incident becomes more compelling when reading about it. Like Operation Tiger, it is a little known historical event but with greater impact when the facts are purveyed. The date of December 15, 1937 ironically is close to exactly three years before the "Main Event."

teufelhunde.ret

Just begun to read "Shooting the Pacific War: Marine Corps Combat Photography in WWII" by Thayer Soule. Easy read from the start. He was recruited to begin the Combat Photographer units in the Pacific. Participated in the Canal and Iwo campaigns. Not pic heavy as one would think, all accounts are from his diary.

"Combat Flight Clothing...Army Air Forces Clothing During WW2" by C.G. Sweeting. Published way back in '84 but still "the bible" for AAF collectors! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
kriegsmodell

The Quiet Professional: Major Richard J. Meadows of the US Army Special Forces by Alan Hoe. Excellent new biography of US Special Forces legend Richard "Dick" Meadows. If you have any interest in USSF you will enjoy this book. From the 10th SFG(A) in Germany, Laos with the 7th Group, Vietnam including service with MACVSOG (a prisoner snatch expert), commander of the "Blueboy" assault element for the Son Tay Prison POW rescue mission, formation of SFOD-Delta including his covert assignment in Tehran during Operation Eagle Claw, and contractual intrigues in Central and South America. An amazing story of a great soldier and a genuine legend in the Special Operations community. Highly, HIGHLY recommended.

I just finished reading With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge for the second time, (first time was before I saw The Pacific) does anyone want to part with China Marine?

I've been reading a lot of novels lately about Marines in the PTO. Seems like these book have become pretty popular after the HBO series.

-Steve

Just getting ready to start reading Hell On High Ground vol2 by David W. Earl. WW II crash sites. Picked it up at a used book store.

Over the last couple days I've been attempting to read Shadows in the Jungle about the Alamo Scouts; I say "attempting" because in recent years I read books part way through and put them aside. It's an easy read, however. I'm interested in seeing if it complements the other work on the subject, Silent Warriors.

Today or tomorrow I will receive a book about the GHQ Raider Company in the Korean War. I'll give a half-assed review after I attempt to read it.

• 3 months later...

Just started reading The Thousand-Mile War, World War II in Alaska and the Aleutians, by Brian Garfield.

I spent a year on the Aleutians in the AF back in the early 1980's, at Shemya AFB, there were still remnants of the war around the island at that time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started reading a book called "The Flying Tigers" and I am looking forward to learning more about this fabled group of pilots wh flew under the Chinese flag in the aid of that government. As a little boy I wanted to be a member of the this heroic group but to this day, know little about them. I am about to change all that.

Just finished, for the second reading, POLES APART by George Cholewczynski, re the Polish 1st Abn Bde. Still good and of course sad.

This is the best book on that Brigade ever written. The book without any typical patriotic propaganda. Vast majority of the other publications create Maj. Gen. Stanisław Sosabowski almost as a God and an ideal officer he was not.

An excellent book although the US threads could be better and more comprehensively described, as the US-Polish cooperation with 101st Abn for example.

There is also a book written by Sosabowski -- "Freely I Served", The Battery Press, Nashville 1982, ISBN 0-89839-061-3.

The Last Cruise by Louise Kidder Sparrow. This is the account of the loss of the light cruiser, USS Tacoma by the wife of her last commanding officer, H.G. Sparrow. It incorporates correspondence between the two of them leading up to the eve of his death aboard the ship (along with four radiomen) after the crew had been offloaded following the her running aground off the coast of Mexico.

• 2 months later...

Almost finished with "Hell is So Green - Search and Rescue Over the Hump in World War II".

I have almost completed this book in a couple of days. I can't put it down. It is a very interesting story about an all but forgotten theatre in the war. The author would parachute into the jungle to look for downed airman then spend days or weeks helping them out of the jungle. Then do it all again the next day.

I highly recommend this book.....Kat

Cobrahistorian

2/3 of the way through with Bill Bartsch's "Every Day a Nightmare", detailing the USAAF defense of Australia and Java in late 41/early 42. It's an incredible read about a relatively unknown period of USAAF WWII history. It's doubly cool too because one of the pilots whose uniforms I own is featured prominently in it!

Jon

The book sitting by my toilet at the moment? "The Battle for the Falklands" by Max Hastings and Simon Jenkins.

A very interesting read about the other, sometimes forgotten conflict to take place in relatively recent times. What is so fascinating is that a lot of the technologies (and at the time, serious deficiencies) of modern warfare came into being during this period. It was both a political and logistical struggle for Whitehall and the Armed Forces to put an adequate force into the South Atlantic in 1982 and I'm not sure that given the even more limited capabilities and realities of the 21st Century, such actions could be repeated. (in the extreme, far-fetched case that the latest UK/Argentine blustering got out of hand again)