My $5 yardsale find. What type/era hat is this?

rrobertscv

Found this at a yard sale this morning. We have a huge flea market here, it has been going on for over 100 years. It always happens on the first week-end of the month and all the locals set up yard sales that same week-end. Found this today, she wanted $10, I offered $5 and she took it. It is wool with a tag that reads:

"service wl, sg, ag-44, size 7 1/8"

The eagle is a "screw-back" type. It does have one small moth hole on the front. What kind of value would this have and what era is it? And as always, thanks for looking and for all the help.

2000413499308754698_rs.jpg

2000412147452819840_rs.jpg

These are Korean War to Vietnam - I have found quite a few of these, and to me, since I collect WWII and before, these have proven to be something of a newsence!! LOL... It is still a nice hat, and you paid about what it is worth.... I wish that I could bring you better news!!

Chris

You may be able to put a date on your cap.Many of these had a white tag with contract info printed on them.The tag is sometimes found under the sweat band attached to the frame of the cap.you may have to be a little careful folding down the sweatband as the threads sometimes can be fragile

Just give it some time, in 15 years all of this era stuff will be bringing the prices that W.W.II stuff is now. If you can get it cheap, buy it and just hold onto it!

You may be able to put a date on your cap.Many of these had a white tag with contract info printed on them.The tag is sometimes found under the sweat band attached to the frame of the cap.you may have to be a little careful folding down the sweatband as the threads sometimes can be fragile

I did flip the sweatband down and the hat is ID'd.

Gene H. Plunk

53 407 877

I did flip the sweatband down and the hat is ID'd.

Gene H. Plunk

53 407 877

Wonder if this is the same guy: http://www.khou.com/news/upclose/stories/k...m.65b7e67d.html

You know antique shops and estate sales often put a $20-25 price tag on those caps - even at garage sales you'll see them overpriced because people figure that shiny badge must make it worth something. So, while you may not find a collector willing pay those prices, I'm sure that ebay sellers who don't know squat about militaria will pay the higher prices thinking it might be worth fifty bucks on ebay. I'd say that getting any sort of military visor cap for five bucks these days is a good deal. I will buy any I come across for under $10 and stash them away with other stuff that might be worth a whole lot more when my eight year old is maybe 20 or so (he has his own miltaria collection and is an estate sale veteran).

It seems like you were reading my mind. Can't pass up a deal. I also give things like this away to young people who seem to take an interest in military collecting. It gives them a little headstart.

The AG-44 color was phased in in 1956 with wearout for the old OD's being 1 October 1957. So the hat dates sometime after 1956. Even though the army put a wearout date on the OD's, the continued to be worn, especially by guard and reserve forces well into the 1960's.

In the early 1970's, the army changed from AG-44 shade to an AG-344 when they began to make uniforms in a lighter weight polyester-wool blend.

While these caps ceased to be an issue item during the Vietnam war, high speed enlisted soldiers can still buy them from clothing sales.

Allan

I sold one on Ebay last week for a $1.25

I dont think I would waste my time for a $1.25 on ebay.Doesnt the fees kill the sale especially on smaller items??There is a guy I buy from and he is retired so he hits all the auctions.He then takes groups and splits them up and will even seperate the tie from the shirt and sell it.I think he got .99 for one and shipped it overseas.I really dont see the point or profit for that matter if he is into it for profit. I guess my momma didnt raise the brightest candle on the cake :blink: Nothing wrong with selling on ebay just my 2 cents .

I usually have a hand full of old overseas caps and a visor or two when I set up at shows.Just extras that I cannot put a name or uniform to.Some may have a moth nip here or there,small size etc.If a guy comes up and buys or trades with me and has his son/daughter with him I ask if they like military.When they nod or say,yeah I will give them a cap.Some times the adult will ask me what the deal is or what they owe and I say nothing.I hope I made a friend and also hope a new collector is born.