OIF/OEF Reenacted?

Brig

OIF will never be properly re-enacted until someone can replicate the nasty smell of that stinking hell hole. Lets see, burning garbage, brick factory oven, rotting vegetation and sweaty Iraqi's. I will never get that smell out of my nose. The buildings even reek.

OIF will never be properly re-enacted until someone can replicate the nasty smell of that stinking hell hole. Lets see, burning garbage, brick factory oven, rotting vegetation and sweaty Iraqi's. I will never get that smell out of my nose. The buildings even reek.

Yeah I'll never get that burn pit smell out my memory.

Somebody else mentioned terrain. That is going to be hard to duplicate.

You can go to the woods and reenact Vietnam in a pine forest and explain it away as "high in the central highlands".

You can reenact much of World War I and II in Europe with the woods and farm landsaround the US. Not an exact match but close enough to look good in the photos.

As for OIF / OEF, how many of us have a desert conveniently near by? And the deserts of the American Southwest look very different than those of Iraq.

But I am sure someone will try to pull it off.

Actually, if they were to re-enact Iraq, most of the central area is a well vegetated area. You could almost pass off some of southern Florida as central Iraq.

157kfoi.jpg

There is a lot of green around Diyala province. Pretty flat with palm trees and other various things around. What you'll never see though is the garbage. There is garbage everywhere. Kids play in the stuff, animals eat it and no one gives a damn. Donkeys and cows roam the streets with out a care in the world. Don't forget the kids yelling 'mister! mister! Pencil, pencil! Futbol mister? Futbal?' "lah football, emshe!" hehe :)

Dent

Actually, the picture I just posted was between Dyala...Diyala...Dee-allah, (never could spell anything in that country) and Taji just east of the river.

You sure? They look like hooved IED transport devices think.gif

Man! There is going to be so much material for reenactors to work with. Can you imagine a fiberglass donkey with it's bellly hollowed out and a artillery round with wires running out of it on the side of the road as a ASV convoy is rolling up on it? All the old fat men and little kids 5 and 25ing a perimeter sweltering in the heat. I would pay to go to that!

Whats going to be great is when they do the 5's and 25's, and spot the IED. Then the 'Hajii's' will be like "DUDE NO WAY YOU SAW THAT!" There was a dead dog that had to be reduced the other day on one of the main routes, I guess it was raining bits.

Dent

Diyala...I was there...flat is right, hahaha. the farm villages...chest high grass, knee deep mud. Rough terrain. Pretty empty...and a burn pit out there that burns 24/7 outside a FOB

Well, I guess I am going to get a chance to get some more pictures of the area again. Just found out today that I am the lucky winner of an all expense paid vacation back there so that I can get whatever it is that I left there the last time!!! Lucky ME!!!

Well, I guess I am going to get a chance to get some more pictures of the area again. Just found out today that I am the lucky winner of an all expense paid vacation back there so that I can get whatever it is that I left there the last time!!! Lucky ME!!!

Oh snap! I'm sorry to hear that hawk. Do you know where you'll be exactly?

Diyala...I was there...flat is right, hahaha. the farm villages...chest high grass, knee deep mud. Rough terrain. Pretty empty...and a burn pit out there that burns 24/7 outside a FOB

I always like it when the burn pit at Warhorse was burning at night, made it so much easier to find while flying around with NVG's. For some reason I had a devil of a time finding Warhorse under goggles.

Oh snap! I'm sorry to hear that hawk. Do you know where you'll be exactly?

No, we aren't sure we are even going to make it there. It's still a ways out, but there is a lot of discussion if we won't get diverted to Af-Jihad-istan

I see two issues with this. First, there's the lack of automatic weapons you'd find in the conflict. As I understand it, there are NO civilian-owned MK-19s, even by movie gun rental companies ("Generation Kill" had to make them and do the muzzle flashes with CGI), and I'd think later model M-4's, SAWs and other weapons would be hard to find. So with weapons, it's have to be air soft.

Then there are vehicles. DRMO isn't selling off most of the vehicles used in the conflict. There are Hummers in private hands and you can use M-35 series trucks as there are plenty of them available. You can say that the Vietnam re-enactor types have the same issues. True, but it's historically accurate for a grunt in that war to be on foot. These days, they do hoof it but not nearly as much.

Swag - You still out of Warhorse?

Dent

Naw I'm back in the land of the Big PX. But I did fly into Warhorse at least 3 times a week when I was there for my OIF 07/08.

Two words: Jacksonville, Florida

I'm not one for reenacting, either. was just curious if I'd have to see myself 20 years younger running around in the future

You will. DS1/DS2/OIF is too big of a conflict to go gently into that good night.

And when you do, you'll finally have a chance to tell people the stories of your mis-spent youth. You know, the ones your wife is either tired of hearing or you're too scared to tell her.

I see two issues with this. First, there's the lack of automatic weapons you'd find in the conflict. As I understand it, there are NO civilian-owned MK-19s, even by movie gun rental companies ("Generation Kill" had to make them and do the muzzle flashes with CGI), and I'd think later model M-4's, SAWs and other weapons would be hard to find. So with weapons, it's have to be air soft.

Then there are vehicles. DRMO isn't selling off most of the vehicles used in the conflict. There are Hummers in private hands and you can use M-35 series trucks as there are plenty of them available. You can say that the Vietnam re-enactor types have the same issues. True, but it's historically accurate for a grunt in that war to be on foot. These days, they do hoof it but not nearly as much.

Don't forget the MRAP's...I'd love to have one back home, especially mine :(

Dent

Don't forget the MRAP's...I'd love to have one back home, especially mine :(

Dent

I guarantee you, some day someone will come up with one. There are two sitting out at the bombing range complex (not as targets) being used for training. Some day, someone will get tired of itthem and it doesn't have much use to a farmer, it will pop up at the DRMO.

I also wouldn't bet on the machine guns, SAWs and M4's either. Look at the bottom of the rack??? May be a Colt 6920, but tell me that doesn't look like an issue M4. Other than the 16 in barrel and the semi auto fire control, that is an exact replica of the one I carried for a year, right down to the sling and painted on butt number. I know quite a few people that have put together.50s for display on vehicles.

qrgc3p.jpg

Darktrooper

How can you reenact something when you can go to ranger joes and order everything out of a darn catalog? Right now reenacting the Iraq/ afghanistan is insulting, and might get someone punched in the mouth by a real veteran.

How can you reenact something when you can go to ranger joes and order everything out of a darn catalog? Right now reenacting the Iraq/ afghanistan is insulting, and might get someone punched in the mouth by a real veteran.

"My" opinion, Darktrooper is right, reenacting a war zone, that is happening right this minute, people dying, I'm not sure, I sure as Hell couldn't do it. My main interest is US ww-2, I've done some light reenacting (POSING) in Switzerland and once in France, I have never seen or met an American ww-2 Veteran at these events, me wearing a ww-2 US Army uniform, I would have trouble looking the ol' Trooper in the eyes, even though, I'm a peacetime veteran/trooper myself, I try to keep the ww-2 US uniform according to my old M.O.S., or Photogragher.

My two cents. :)

A lot of our guys get stuff from Ranger Joe's, and its usually quality stuff. It's kind of surprising to see how much civilian made stuff is over here, and being used. Kind of brings new light on to previous conflicts, and the stuff they'd use or have available.

Dent