OIF/OEF Reenacted?

Brig

Out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone out there thinks that the current wars will some day be reenacted, or will they be too unconventional to draw an interest? Are there any Gulf War reenacting groups out there?

Brig,

I do think that OIF/OEF may very well someday be reenacted. I honestly believe that OIF/OEF items will continue to grow in popularity as time progresses. STOCK UP NOW!!!!!! :lol::lol:

Arch

consider this. Vietnam wasnt much of a conventional war....more of a guerrilla war with a populist uprising and politics... and its one of the most popular reenacting subjects especially in regards with airsoft...so its possible that OIF would be reenacted later on., Desert Storm and the Korea War would be pretty conventional and not as much is being done currently....since the Korea War technically only has an armistice, not peace treaty or whatever....still going on politically and idealogically between the 2 states

The most 'unpopular' war in American history is being reenacted. Im sure that OIF/OEF will be reenacted but we have to get out of it first before we can start that timer. I agree though nkomo, stock up now. I'm saving as much as my gear and equipment as I can.

Dent

shrapneldude

Hmmm

Can't wait to be an old man at a militaria show a few decades from now and see some clown strut in dressed like an Iraqi suicide bomber. Where there's American reenactors...there's plenty of enemy forces reenactors as well. Guess we'll know how the WWII vets feel when the reenactors turn out in full SS regalia

Hmmm

Can't wait to be an old man at a militaria show a few decades from now and see some clown strut in dressed like an Iraqi suicide bomber. Where there's American reenactors...there's plenty of enemy forces reenactors as well. Guess we'll know how the WWII vets feel when the reenactors turn out in full SS regalia

Good point. I'm guessing that someone should stock up on crappy track suits and tennis shoes, spool of wire, paper towel tubes, and really cheap sunglasses?

The most 'unpopular' war in American history is being reenacted. Im sure that OIF/OEF will be reenacted but we have to get out of it first before we can start that timer. I agree though nkomo, stock up now. I'm saving as much as my gear and equipment as I can.

Dent

Dent

I thought this, OIF, was the most unpopular war in American history, or is it World history? I know it was pretty unpopular at most bases I have been on. think.gif

I am already seeing the airsoft guys, in countries not on the ground in Iraq mostly, basing their scenarios on what hey think is going on there. This is very true with the groups in Asia.

The very fact that the war we are fighting is NOT CONVENTIONAL will make it easier to reenact.

T-Bone

101combatvet

Gee, I recall a lot of flag waving during the first halve of the GWOT.

I am already seeing the airsoft guys, in countries not on the ground in Iraq mostly, basing their scenarios on what hey think is going on there. This is very true with the groups in Asia.

T-Bone

shrapneldude
Good point. I'm guessing that someone should stock up on crappy track suits and tennis shoes, spool of wire, paper towel tubes, and really cheap sunglasses?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I don't know how guys from the OIF/OEF era will feel about it, but more than once a WWII vet has told me it's a little unnerving to go to an air show or something like that and see a guy wandering around in a German uniform. Personally, I've always thought it was in poor taste. Historical purposes or just plan Nazisim aside, guys dressed exactly like that were shooting and killing these guys.

PS -- This picture is for future reference for any bigger fellas who wish to reenact and get busted on for being too chubby!

X_redcatcher

Hate to say it two years ago in England (war and Peace show) the Taliban was already there, and yes, there were quite a few people gave them EVIL looks ( I was one).

I don't know how guys from the OIF/OEF era will feel about it, but more than once a WWII vet has told me it's a little unnerving to go to an air show or something like that and see a guy wandering around in a German uniform. Personally, I've always thought it was in poor taste. Historical purposes or just plan Nazisim aside, guys dressed exactly like that were shooting and killing these guys.

I suppose I should jump back every time I see some guy from Central America wandering around my local Walmart. :)

I don't think anybody here in Florida is reenacting DS1/DS2/OIF, because a lot of guys are still over there fighting it as one long war with a 10 year halftime show.

But I've already started getting my chocolate chips, desert boots, and ALICE gear set up. I think it would be one of the easier wars to reenact, provided you have the right terrain. I can see "checkpoint ambush" being a popular public battle theme that would be easy to set up and operate for a show.

I suppose I should jump back every time I see some guy from Central America wandering around my local Walmart. :)

Yes. Yes, you should. It is Walmart...you MUST ALWAYS be on your guard!

Though I had a friend in Alaska who was a former Capt in the Sandanista Ministry of Interior troop, and he was really pretty damn cool. Dead eye shot with an AK also, East German training grad.

Come to think of it...I met him in Walmart, hmmmm...

T-Bone

General Apathy
Hate to say it two years ago in England (war and Peace show) the Taliban was already there, and yes, there were quite a few people gave them EVIL looks ( I was one).

No No that REALLY WAS THE Taliban, they let anyone in nowadays, sure feels strange when the authorities come up with the answer ' if we know where they are then we can keep a watch on them ', there has just been a number of house raids and a number of people arrested today for terrorism reasons. think.gif

However the population would much prefer that they were living in caves in Afghanistan than free housing in England. ;)

Cheers ( Lewis )

Yes. Yes, you should. It is Walmart...you MUST ALWAYS be on your guard!

Though I had a friend in Alaska who was a former Capt in the Sandanista Ministry of Interior troop, and he was really pretty damn cool. Dead eye shot with an AK also, East German training grad.

Come to think of it...I met him in Walmart, hmmmm...

T-Bone

I suppose this summer when all of our "guest" workers are in town I will start wearing my Salvadorian 6th Brigade hat around town to see if anyone recognizes it.

marineamtracer

Just my own personal and humble opinion here but here it is from my soap box to yours everyone...

I have never been very keen on reenacting. I know that many people do it with the intention of honoring veterans or educating the public HOWEVER I don't know of any reenactors who have actually seen combat. Don't get me wrong I am sure there are some out there and I am not by any means trying to insult ANYONE. I just have always thought that unless you were there you will never know what it was like nor can you fully realise it by reenacting it. I am sure that one day yes OEF and OIF will be reenacted but just don't count me as one of those that will be doing it. Nor will I be one to support those who are doing it. Leave me to my own memories of what I saw in OIF and OEF. Trust me reenactors you don't want to know what OIF-I was like nor do I want to have to think about the hell on earth that Hue, Khe Sahn, Chosin, Peleliu, or Belleau Wood must have been for those that were there. I know the history and I appreciate reading about it and I can relate but I don't think it's neccessary to reenact it unless it is for Hollywood. I am sure that this will upset plenty of people but it's all just my own thoughts on the matter nothing to get worked up about.

:lol::lol:

Just my own personal and humble opinion here but here it is from my soap box to yours everyone...

I have never been very keen on reenacting. I know that many people do it with the intention of honoring veterans or educating the public HOWEVER I don't know of any reenactors who have actually seen combat. Don't get me wrong I am sure there are some out there and I am not by any means trying to insult ANYONE. I just have always thought that unless you were there you will never know what it was like nor can you fully realise it by reenacting it. I am sure that one day yes OEF and OIF will be reenacted but just don't count me as one of those that will be doing it. Nor will I be one to support those who are doing it. Leave me to my own memories of what I saw in OIF and OEF. Trust me reenactors you don't want to know what OIF-I was like nor do I want to have to think about the hell on earth that Hue, Khe Sahn, Chosin, Peleliu, or Belleau Wood must have been for those that were there. I know the history and I appreciate reading about it and I can relate but I don't think it's neccessary to reenact it unless it is for Hollywood. I am sure that this will upset plenty of people but it's all just my own thoughts on the matter nothing to get worked up about.

I'm not one for reenacting, either. was just curious if I'd have to see myself 20 years younger running around in the future

I'm not one for reenacting, either. was just curious if I'd have to see myself 20 years younger running around in the future

I saw "myself" twenty years younger through a reenactor at the last SOS. My only thought was "Damn, I must be getting old if reenactors are getting interested in that". Then, without a second thought, it was back to looking for Thompson stuff.

marineamtracer

I knew what you were sayin Brig hope I didn't offend a fellow brother with my comments. I understood what you were getting at but probably didn't make that clear enough and the soap box got in the way.

Semper Fidelis

Look at the Vietnam War and Vietnam reenacting.... just give it time and it will happen...

T-Bone, this is what I was referring to

I knew what you were sayin Brig hope I didn't offend a fellow brother with my comments. I understood what you were getting at but probably didn't make that clear enough and the soap box got in the way.

Semper Fidelis

no offense taken thumbsup.gif