repatching an SF BDU

adamoi1984

So I picked up a bdu shirt a few months back that had SF, Ranger and Airborne tab out lines along with with SF SSI and battle patch. above the US Army tape is appears to be an senor Parachutist badge and an EIB badge. But below that, there is a darker color area thats about 2" x 3" on the pocket. I was thinking maybe a rigger patch, but it could also be a pilot or aircrew patch. Does anyone know what that patch could be?

Could be either HALO or PATHFINDER, and I would bet on the Pathfinder badge given the dimensions.

T-Bone

Im sure I will, but in the meanwhile, Im kinda enjoying restoring ones with all the patches taken off! Haha, its almost become a hobby within a hobby. Plus, this store has almost a dozen SF BDU shirts, the only problem is that they strip the patches for separate sale.

Is it the one store that also sell office furniture?

T-Bone

Is it the one store that also sell office furniture?

T-Bone

No, its a surplus store. Its fairly decent, small, but decent.

Francis Marion

Pathfinder is a little smaller than HALO wings. I'm guessing it's HALO. BTW, the divers badge is commonly referred to as a "Scuba bubble."

adamoi1984
Pathfinder is a little smaller than HALO wings. I'm guessing it's HALO. BTW, the divers badge is commonly referred to as a "Scuba bubble."

Its actually Pathfinder. I should be done with it, and have it ready to present in a few weeks. Just need to get a second 1st SF SSI patch, and a CIB patch.

UGGGGGGGHHHHH...........I hae when they do that. If they have a dozen, then you hit a goldmine my friend. If they are cheap enough, I'd buy them all and restore them. Seriously, SF BDU's and DCU's are getting harder to find. I buy all the ones I see ,if they are cheap enough.

Arch

Even though I've pretty much stopped collecting BDU's, and tried to focus on DCU's, I recently saw one on epay and couldn't help myself. It was missing the name tape but I contacted the seller and he said he had just removed it but would include it if I won. Sure enough, I got sniped. Weeks later, in reviewing the seller's feedback comments, the buyer for that BDU had said something like ''great item - it was a pain removing all those patches though''.

f14312.th.jpg

OK, back to the subject.

Adamoi - in the original post you stated that the patch was about 2"x3". That's longer than a pathfinder patch. Rigger badges, on the other hand, are about 2"x3". I don't have one any more so I can't measure it.

I've never seen a BDU coat with ''quartermaster'' stamped anywhere in it. At any rate IIRC riggers either have a quartermaster MOS or are under the QM branch somehow. Every officer's BDU coat I've seen that has a rigger patch also had QM for the branch insignia.

A rigger badge doesn't always mean the person is still a rigger or even still a Quartermaster. I've seen (in the flesh) an Armor officer with a rigger wing (he was prior enlisted and had been a rigger during that time) and an enlisted CAV Scout with a rigger wing (he had changed MOS).

Also, remember that Special Forces recruits officers from ALL branches, not just th Infantry. I have a friend who is at the Q-course as we speak and he had been a Rigger Platoon Leader. I'm sure he's not the first to follow that path.

Vance

Adamoi - in the original post you stated that the patch was about 2"x3". That's longer than a pathfinder patch. Rigger badges, on the other hand, are about 2"x3". I don't have one any more so I can't measure it.

I've never seen a BDU coat with ''quartermaster'' stamped anywhere in it. At any rate IIRC riggers either have a quartermaster MOS or are under the QM branch somehow. Every officer's BDU coat I've seen that has a rigger patch also had QM for the branch insignia.

Also, I wonder if I should(can?) look up the shirt? the stamp on the inside (US Army Quarter Master Panama stamp (?)) has what looks like a serial number. Although I doubt THAT would be able to be looked up as it was issued to an SF operator.

I'm assuming this is a hot weather (rip-stop) coat? When the hot weather BDU's came out in 1988-89 they were a seasonal uniform with wear restricted to certain areas. One of these was Panama. They were issued as organizational property, not individual clothing bag items. That's what the stamp indicates, that it belongs to USARSO and was to be turned in when the individual PCS'ed. All this went by the way side pretty quick and everybody got issued the uniforms, then even the seasonal thing was eliminated and you could wear them anytime you wanted to.

A friend of mine was assigned to 1-508th, 193d LIB in 1990 and his rip-stops were issued in Panama and marked the same way. The number has nothing to do with SF.

adamoi1984
I'm assuming this is a hot weather (rip-stop) coat? When the hot weather BDU's came out in 1988-89 they were a seasonal uniform with wear restricted to certain areas. One of these was Panama. They were issued as organizational property, not individual clothing bag items. That's what the stamp indicates, that it belongs to USARSO and was to be turned in when the individual PCS'ed. All this went by the way side pretty quick and everybody got issued the uniforms, then even the seasonal thing was eliminated and you could wear them anytime you wanted to.

A friend of mine was assigned to 1-508th, 193d LIB in 1990 and his rip-stops were issued in Panama and marked the same way. The number has nothing to do with SF.

Thanks for all the feed back folks. One of the main reason im disqualifying it as a rigger badge is the fact that shirt its self has a SF Tab, A Ranger Tab, etc. I don't think many riggers would go through all that work to remain non combat, or many guys who went from being a rigger to being SF would still ware one. And it could be a pathfinder badge just sewn large. But, I think I may have missdated the BDU, so It may be a MFF badge.