You Gotta be Kidding (easy_green helmets)

larry030767

Well, to his credit, at least the seller seemed to be honest in his description.

I guess its another case of buyers with more dollars than "sense".

That seller is the notorious easy_green. By my estimate he sells perhaps $80,000 a year worth of helmets on ebay, pretty much all of them having been painted or otherwise changed to make them look like one of the more desirable helmets of the era. He is always upfront about the changes and seems to have no problem finding people willing to pay up to several hundred dollars per helmet.

Of course the big problem is that once he sells them there is nothing on them to indicate they are fakes and his work is so good that I am sure many of these have been re-sold as the "real thing" for much more than what easy_green sold them for.

He may be one of the best of the fakers but there are others out there and they are making nearly impossible to trust a painted helmet unless you buy it yourself from a veteran's family. How good are the the fakes/ Well, visit easy_green's website and click on some of thumbnail photos: http://www.m1helmet.com/

Scary huh? And remember: the people who buy from him know they're getting fakes!

as always--- there will always be the scum bags who profit off the uneducated and whose greed mocks our history and vets.

this is one guy who is responsible for helping to screw up the collecting field. to me nothing more then a low life with a wasteland of HOME COOKED PISS POTS.

Schnicklfritz

It is ridiculous that he uses a perfectly good original liner, let alone a rarer early version by this maker and then alters it to something it wasn't in the war. For historical purposes, it really holds no value to me now. It did when it was a rare Inland M1 liner. But now another piece of history is lost and a fraud is born. I don't understand why the fella feels he has to use original unaltered componets to make his helmets when the technology exists for him to take crapped out liners and shells to make his reproductions. Somewhere down the line, someone is going to be sold this helmet as an original. It's just another example of someone more concerned about the all mighty dollar as compared to being someone interested in historical preservation. What a shame...

Is "Easygreen" out of California by any chance? A buddy of mine was at a surplus store where an order for 4000 pots came through. Yes...four thousand pots (cleaned out most of the inventory). The employees were boxing up lids for the better part of two weeks. If this was him, it seems he is going to go ahead at full steam. With each lid "restored", an untouched lid becomes a bit more scarce.

Ken

I do not have a problem with easy_green. He has found a niche and has every right to make an honest buck. He is always totally upfront in his descriptions. I believe one of the reasons he gets the prices he does is that his helmets are still a fraction of the cost of the real thing - if you can find the real thing. I believe he is out of Ohio.

My two cents,

RichB

Is "Easygreen" out of California by any chance?

Ken

His website is registered to Emeryville California.

it does not matter where the jerk is from. at one time all you had to worry about was the german items being humped. never in my little helmet dreams did i think that gi corruption would occur. well all it took was 1 high class movie and here we are today. the crap will be passed off as the real deal some day which will make it tough for you to sell your real lids. trash like this places doubt in many mind as time goes on.

it does not matter where the jerk is from. at one time all you had to worry about was the german items being humped. never in my little helmet dreams did i think that gi corruption would occur. well all it took was 1 high class movie and here we are today. the crap will be passed off as the real deal some day which will make it tough for you to sell your real lids. trash like this places doubt in many mind as time goes on.

This has happened with every type of collectible eventually: Colonial American furniture, 2,000 year old Chinese ceramics, modern art, etc. What makes these helmet fakes so dangerous is that the parts are often 100% authentic, which makes them quite different from most counterfeits. Collectors of painted helmets will need to learn forensic paint analysis.

larry030767

Well I'll be damned! The FAKE lid closed at $650. thumbdown.gif Who would have thought? Some poor SOD will be sold this as an original in the not too distant future is my bet. Some form of glorious History of said pot will told with all of the sincerity of a snake oil salesman. This was not silly but rather down right Stupid and evil. And that boys 'n girls is my opinion.

Well I'll be damned! The FAKE lid closed at $650. thumbdown.gif Who would have thought? Some poor SOD will be sold this as an original in the not too distant future is my bet. Some form of glorious History of said pot will told with all of the sincerity of a snake oil salesman. This was not silly but rather down right Stupid and evil. And that boys 'n girls is my opinion.

From March 18 to March 31 he sold 11 helmets for a total of $2,938: that's equal to about $82,000 a year (and that compares to the sales figures I calculated previously based on his completed ebay sales). That's also equal to more than 450 helmets a year, and this is just one - albeit perhaps the most skillful - of the fakers.

When I came into a bunch of lids a month or two ago, a couple were painted with liners...nothing special, just a couple of basic unit marked items. With the replica creators in mind, and partially feeling like a fool, I asked my "source" if I could take photos of the basement (loaded with lids and liners) in which they were found, have him write up a statement as to where he found them and how long he had them, and then if we could get it notarized. I felt idiotic doing it, but he understood. Thanks to the multitude of replicas out there, such items that were once known as "honest find" pieces will be looked at several times over as suspicious. Photodocumentation and notarized letters...these are just some of the influneces made on the hobby since the advent of incredibly accurate repros.

Ken

how many times have you seen a lid on sleeze pay and wanted to bid on it? it looked good but, was it? you got your finger on the key ready to put in a bid and then you say no. its a hump--- or is it? i have seen many good lids and passed them by only to see some on other sites and proven to be good. thats what these turds have done. now its a guessing game.

I remember when he started years ago, primarily doing German, I believe. back then he didn't actually sell helmets, he just offered to restore ones in collections with decals/paintjobs/etc

every clown has to start in one of the 3 rings. after awhile they graduate to ring master. a perfect example. now he owns the whole circus!

I believe this is inevitable. As long as the demand is greater than the supply and people are paying the big bucks for the real thing, this will follow. Collectors have no one to blame but themselves as we drive the value.

The only good thing about it is that this may be the only way for someone to have an example of a helmet that he or she may never be able to find or afford, even though it is a facsimile.

We of course know of the potential downside.

CB

What an unfortunate way for a hobby to turn; inevitable though. The fact that this fella's fakes are just so good is really what frightens me. Like someone posted earlier, I have resigned myself to the fact of only purchasing insignia'd helmets straight from families or another solid source. That means no ebay, no way, no how! I'm just afraid of the day when I run into one of those suckers at a flea market or estate sale and won't be able to figure out if its the real thing! At least Easy_Green is being honest about it, better than slipping them slowly into the market through the backdoor. Dang, 400 helmets a year; safe to assume he's sold several thousand. Ok boys, start looking for a new hobby, cause real helmets are gonna get real scarce!

Beau

His unmarked helmets like this are more worrisome to me than his painted helmets. His painted helmets have a certain look and style that I feel is easy to spot. I saw one of his helmets at a show sometime back and from over 10 feet away immediately recognized it.

On a different note, has anyone ever seen an original Inland para liner with the snap in sweatband? I never have.