Named Air Medal Purple Heart Group - Earl R. Springstead

wildcat123

This is my newest medal grouping, purchased from a forum member. A nice, named medal grouping to S/Sgt Earl R. Springstead from Kansas. I have some research to do to nail down where he was from exactly, but I found his name on the Franklin County, KS war memorial. I stopped by to take some photos as I happened to be in NE Kansas this weekend. Sergeant Springstead's plane went down in the North Sea on March 6, 1944 after being damaged on a raid to Genshagen/Berlin. Three crew members were rescued.

On a separate note, has anyone ever done any research on the 446th bomb group? I tried to contact their association for a better copy of the crew photo and was rudely "blown off."

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

post-1095-1238984077.jpg

post-1095-1238984092.jpg

Crew photo, Sergeant Springstead at the far right, bottom row. Franklin County War Memorial in Ottawa, KS

post-1095-1238984115.jpg

post-1095-1238984132.jpg

post-1095-1238984139.jpg

post-1095-1238984154.jpg

post-1095-1238984162.jpg

On a separate note, has anyone ever done any research on the 446th bomb group? I tried to contact their association for a better copy of the crew photo and was rudely "blown off."

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

Nice group...

Does this link help at all?

http://www.aviationmuseum.net/446bg.htm

Of course, there's always the overworked but excellent AFHRA... I'm sorry you got a poor response from the 446th's Association.

• 1 year later...

I had a little breakthrough in my research of Sgt Springstead. I was forwarded an article about him from the Ottawa Herald from May 2, 1944 by the nice people at the Ottawa, KS public library. As I think we all agree, there is nothing like putting a face with a set of medals. Hopefully these medals will never be without a photo of the man who earned them again...

post-1095-1282013950.jpg

• 11 years later...

Wow !!! Earl Ralph Springstead is my Great Uncle (my grandmother’s Brother).  My father ( who looked exactly like Earl and shares his middle name ) passed away in 2009. He always wondered where those medals were, and thought my grandmother lost them. 
This site is awesome!  I choked up when I found Wildcat123’s post.  We have a condolences letter from the President regarding his death. Can I buy back those medals, or what’s my next step ( if any )??? 

Appreciate You !!!!