German made patches

Proud Kraut

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Harder to differentiate are the following patches. U.S. made patches usually were embroidered horizontally, that means the stitching/weave seems to rum from right to left. Many German made patches were embroidered vertically. The weave/stitching appears to run top-down.

Hi Lars

Phill here appreciate this posting- i brought a collection of armoured patches and suspected they were German manufactured post WWII-what years would the following be-(havent mastered the pic format yet)-i am trying to stick to US manufactured WWII-post WWII and variations

post-7582-1251103550.jpg

Hi Lars

Phill here appreciate this posting- i brought a collection of armoured patches and suspected they were German manufactured post WWII-what years would the following be-(havent mastered the pic format yet)-i am trying to stick to US manufactured WWII-post WWII and variations

obverse

post-7582-1251103685.jpg

Hi Phill, thanks for adding your pictures here! Unfortunately the vertically stiching "rule" has many exceptions with the Armor triangles. Would you mind posting a pic of the front of the 4th and 13th AD patch? I'm unsure yet, if they're German mades.

Regarding the 1st AD patch I'm afraid I can't help you. I haven't such a light green merrowed border Armored triangle in my collection. From the front it looks like one of these "computer stiched" patches. In any case it looks different to the 1st Armored Div WWII merrowed edge patch, TANKPATCHES posted here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...l=WWII+merrowed

I'm sorry.

Lars

Hi Phill, thanks for adding your pictures here! Unfortunately the vertically stiching "rule" has many exceptions with the Armor triangles. Would you mind posting a pic of the front of the 4th and 13th AD patch? I'm unsure yet, if they're German mades.

Regarding the 1st AD patch I'm afraid I can't help you. I haven't such a light green merrowed border Armored triangle in my collection. From the front it looks like one of these "computer stiched" patches. In any case it looks different to the 1st Armored Div WWII merrowed edge patch, TANKPATCHES posted here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...l=WWII+merrowed

I'm sorry.

Lars

Hi Lars note the heavy white back on numbers and no pigtails and yellow apex-USA ?

post-7582-1251224379.jpg

Phill, the 4th and 13th AD patches do look U.S. made to me. Regarding the 1st AD, I'm sure, tredhed 2 will know!

Lars

Lars, I appreciate your vote of confidence, but it would better to say that I "may" know. ;)

Your 1st AD looks U.S. made to me - it closely resembles the smaller armor PX patches most of us have seen w/ the squared looking #s for the separate bns. But it would be the first AD patch I have seen made like this, so I could be incorrect. Could we please have the dimensions?

Many many other variants of German made patches do exist. It was my intention to point out some attributes you'll find MOSTLY with German made patches. Maybe it's a little help for the new collector. Please feel free to add your knowledge about „German mades“ here. Thanks for looking!

Lars

I thought I post a few variants as well, the 141st and 143rd Tank Bn's.

there are two variations of each Unit; an early version and a later version.

The top one is the early version ,note the fine weave,also look at the German style 1's

they look like the US #7

The bottom picture is of the later version, courser weave, and the colors are a lot

match to US made (Armor) patches

post-668-1251314213.jpg

post-668-1251314245.jpg

I thought I post a few variants as well, the 141st and 143rd Tank Bn's.

there are two variations of each Unit; an early version and a later version.

The top one is the early version ,note the fine weave,also look at the German style 1's

they look like the US #7

The bottom picture is of the later version, courser weave, and the colors are a lot

match to US made (Armor) patches

and the 143rd Tank Bn.

The right hand example is the early version; note the fine weave, the light colors, and the german made "3" with the flat top.

The left hand example is the later version, the weave is courser, the colors and and the #3 are more in line with US made (Armor) patches

post-668-1251314791.jpg

post-668-1251314867.jpg

Lars, I appreciate your vote of confidence, but it would better to say that I "may" know. ;)

Your 1st AD looks U.S. made to me - it closely resembles the smaller armor PX patches most of us have seen w/ the squared looking #s for the separate bns. But it would be the first AD patch I have seen made like this, so I could be incorrect. Could we please have the dimensions?

Could we please have the dimensions?

Hi TH2

Dimensions are 1ADst Base 9.5cm x9.0cmx9.0cm , 4th AD 8.5cmx3 , 13th AD Base 9.0cm x 8.5cmx8.5cm.Would these be reworked? WWII or post WWII era wether US or German manufacture. Just a note on the border the 1st and 13th AD is a solid roundish, 4th is flat.

Can i say these are WWII?

Phill

and the 143rd Tank Bn.

The right hand example is the early version; note the fine weave, the light colors, and the german made "3" with the flat top.

The left hand example is the later version, the weave is courser, the colors and and the #3 are more in line with US made (Armor) patches

Hi Al

thanks for the info can i say they are WWII ?

Aaaah, some very nice patches, thanks for sharing them here! Would you mind posting pics of the backs of one of these pairs of patches?

Meanwhile I'll post a pair of 43rd Armored Bn triangles. Left: A German made full embroidered variant, Right: A U.S. made triangle with bare yellow apex, modified with German WW II shoulder board Regiment Numbers.

Lars

43_1.jpg

Aaaah, some very nice patches, thanks for sharing them here! Would you mind posting pics of the backs of one of these pairs of patches?

Meanwhile I'll post a pair of 43rd Armored Bn triangles. Left: A German made full embroidered variant, Right: A U.S. made triangle with bare yellow apex, modified with German WW II shoulder board Regiment Numbers.

Lars

Hi Lars

nice patch you haves started another off shot thread i will post a standard WWII Armoured Force with a faint outline impression of a 3 and it looks like a German 3.

Phill

Hi Al

thanks for the info can i say they are WWII ?

I would say the 4th and 13th AD patches are U.S. made, WW II. Both Divisions were deactivated shortly after the war. 4th AD provided the mass of "Constabulary" units. The division was reactivated about 1957 and returned to Germany ("Gyroscope"). The Division then was deployed in Germany until about 1970. As far as I know the 13th AD was never reactivated again.

Lars

MF, that is a cool one!!!! :thumbsup: I only remember the yellow on black ones, thanks for sharing!

Lars

Thanks Lars!!!

I never realized that's something special :unsure:

About two years ago had 10 of this uncut in one run

Servus

Mike