REF Thread: United Nations Korean Service Medal

legionnairedu2

legionnairedu2

There is also " United Nations Service Medal - Korea " of the same time. This decoration was also handed to the French elements making party of the battalion of the UNO of KOREA. This battalion with fact participated in " the battle of Crèvecoeur "

History:

Created to the camp of Auvours ( Sarthe) in September, 1950, the French battalion off-loaded to Fusan ( Pusan) on November 29th, 1950 to be integrated in the Second US ( Indianhead ) Infantry division, 23rd Regiment.

Aligning itself with the practice of the American troops in Korea, the French battalion will integrate a company of South Korean soldiers.

It was all the main fights till the end of the hostilities, notably the battle of Crèvecoeur ( Heartbreak Ridge).

The balance sheet(assessment) of the operations is 280 deaths, among whom 17 Koreans, 1350 wounded persons, 12 prisoners and 7 reported missing.

On the whole, 3421 Frenchmen participated in the war of Korea, 287 were killed in the fight.

The battalion of Korea participated then in the war of Indochina in 1953-1954, under the shape of a regiment to two battalions. Then the war of Algeria comes, where the unity, become again battalion, fights(disputes) in Constantine's department from November, 1955 and until 1962. On September 1st, 1960, it becomes the 156éme regiment of Infantry. The 156éme regiment of Infantry - Regiment of Korea is repatriated in 1962; he(it) is dissolved in November, 1962 to the camp of Sissonne.

This badge does not make really left my théme but I know that an officer thus the name stayed in anales in the Foreign Legion. The lieutenant-general Monclar ( Magrin-Vernerey) abandoned its stars voluntarily for lieutenant's stripes(braids) colonel to fight(dispute) in Korea in the head of the French Battalion.

post-4943-1229355893.png

Personal collection

• 3 months later...
Captainofthe7th

There is one medal for every country that served in Korea. If I can remember all of these (I won't remember the US Inf Divs they were attached to)

Australia (English), Belgium (Dutch?), Canada (French?), Columbia (Spanish?), Ethiopia, France, Greece, Luxemborg*, Netherlands*, New Zealand*, Phillipenes, South Africa*, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, and the United States.

* Indicates that I've never personally seen a UN Korea medal from this country.

From my experience, Ethiopia brings the top dollar. Greek and Belgian are fairly easy to find, as are any in English. Columbia, Phillipenes, Thailand, and Turkey are very uncommon.

Rob

SEABEEBRIAN

I found a copy of the Medal Collector from Dec 1954. It lists the medals were struck for the following countries:

1. Australia

2. Belgium

3. Canada

4. Colombia

5. Cuba

6. Denmark

7. Ethiopia

8. France

9. Greece

10. Luxembourg

11. Netherlands

12. New Zealand

13. Norway

14. Philippines

15. Republic of Korea

16. Thailand

17. Turkey

18. Union of South Africa

19. United Kingdom

20. United States

Greetings-

Although UN Korean Medals were awarded to multiple countries, I believe there were only 12 separate medal variants that were struck:

English

Amharic (Ethiopia)

Korean

Spanish (Colombia)

Dutch (Netherlands)

Greek

Italian

French

Belgian (I believe this version may be unofficial)

Tagalog (Philippines - unofficial)

Thai

Turkish

The rarest medals are the versions from Italy and Colombia. Hope this helps.

-Frank

Garth Thompson

As a point of reference here is a table of relative numbers of issue. Ref. THE UNITED NATIONS KOREAN SERVICE MEDAL Planchet Press number 50

Garth

LANGUAGE-BAR LANGUAGE-REVERSE NUMBER ISSUED

English English 2,761,732

Amharic (Ethiopia) Amharic (Ethiopia) 5650

English Dutch (Netherlands) 5795

French * French 16851

Greek Greek 9000

Italian Italian 131

Korean Korean 1,222,000

Spanish Spanish type 1 reverse 1300

Spanish Spanish type 2 reverse unknown

English Tagalog (Philippines) unknown

Thai Thai 10648

Turkish Turkish 33696

* There are two type of French language issues, there is the traditional design and one that has a ball type suspension and loose bar given to French speaking Belgian troops.

Garth Thompson

Here are some UN Korea medals, note both types of French language.

Garth

post-83-1239127433.jpg

Garth Thompson

Many of the countries involved in the Korean War also gave their own Korean Service Medal. Here are a few examples.

Garth

post-83-1239127531.jpg

• 1 year later...

Here is a United Nations Korean Service Medal, i have never one with a rim number and name, can anyone shed some light on it? is it official? or privately done?

post-9388-1285113986.jpg

post-9388-1285113998.jpg

post-9388-1285114006.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 5 years later...
Bruce Linz

That is a Korean language United Nations Service Medal for Korea.  It came in a slightly longer blue box cardboard box the end lapel would have a “K” on it to indicate it contained a Korean language medal.

Medal - UN - South Korean 06.jpg

Medal - UN - South Korean 07.jpg