Researching a WW2 Artilleryman- Edward Andrews

Custermen

I thought this site had a Research thread---not sure if I'm posting this in the right place. THIS has bugged me for a long time.

A friend sent me 2 photos of an OCS class from Fort Sill. His father was an officer in my Dad's FA unit in WW2. I'm researching one of the officers in the photo. There were two group photos of this 1942 Class. I also have a copy of the Graduation Exercises brochure dated April 15, 1942 for Class No. 8. Many graduates of this artillery school were sent to Camp Shelby, MS, where they were assigned to artillery units. Several became members of the artillery of the 85th Infantry Division that was forming there.

Here is a group photo of the 1st Section of the Class No. 8 that has been edited with close-ups.

In one photo are two names of soldiers who became well-known in their specialty.

#19 was Shelby Dale Foote. Shelby Foote was sent to Camp Shelby where he was assigned to one artillery battalion and then re-assigned to another. I called Mr. Foote at home and interviewed him. He said he was a Captain in the 50th FA Battalion of the 5th Infantry Division. What he didn't say was that he was accused of insubordination because he was in Belfast without leave while visiting an Irish girl whom he later married. One website says he was court martialed and dismissed from the service. Others say he moved to California where he joined a local Marine Reserve unit guarding the docks. Of course this is Shelby Foote---the author of The Civil War: A Narrative, a history of the war published in three volumes between 1958 and 1974. He was the historian commentator with the slow, Mississippi drawl in Ken Burn’s PBS documentary series on the Civil War.

Now for my Mystery Soldier

#2 is listed as E. B. Andrews. Lt. Andrews was also assigned to Camp Shelby, where, according to Lt. Dempsey, he was always playing pranks and such. From there I don't know what became of him or where and IF he ever served in combat.

Who was he? I am 85% convinced he was Eddie Andrews, the actor.

EAndrews.jpg

Eddie Andrews became a celebrated character actor in film and TV. A few of his movies and roles inlcuded: "Elmer Gantry" (1960), "Good Neighbor Sam" (1964) as Mr. Burke; "Send Me No Flowers" (1964) as Dr. Ralph Morrisey; "The Glass Bottom Boat" (1966) as Gen. Wallace Bleecker; "Tora! Tora! Tora!" (1970) as Adm. Harold R. Stark; "How to Frame a Figg" (1971) as Mayor Chisholm. He was a character actor on many TV series: "Twilight Zone"; "Naked City"; "Gunsmoke"; "Rawhide"; "Bonanza"; "The F.B.I."; "The Beverly Hillbillies"; "The Invaders"; "Bewitched"; "Charlie's Angels" and "The Bob Newhart Show."

My Questions: Is this E. B. Andrews the same person as the actor "Eddie Andrews". What was the real name of the Actor? What was the service record of the actor? What unit did he serve with?

I've tried searching geneaology sites and have tried searching for military records. Andrews is a common name and "Eddie" doesn't make it any easier. I think this is interesting that 2 famous people appear in this one class photo.

Other Graduates from this OCS Class No. 8 who served with my Father's 328FA, 85 Infantry Division, included: G. Brehm, W. Dempsey, H. Goodwin, H. Zaklikiewicz.

Steve

Okay, I guess I scared everyone away from looking at this. I am NOT an expert in either researching WW2 personal records nor genealogical records. For both, I rely on my "Genie" friends and family for this. I posted this question here because Captain Dempsey was the Vet who told stories about life at Camp Shelby. He was the one who identified both "celebrities" to his son. One (Shelby Foote) turned out to be correct. I'm just trying to verify the second; Eddie Andrews.

I think Eddie Andrews had small-time acting jobs before the war. So, he may have had connections that kept him out of Harm's Way. Who knows, maybe he linked up with an artillery unit in the 65th “Halberd” Infantry Division or the 69th “Fighting” Infantry Division, both of which trained at Camp Shelby.

Other sources that I checked was the forum at imdb.com (Movie data base). No luck.

So, does anyone know where to find a Biography of actor Eddie Andrews that gives details of his Place of birth, Date of Birth and Place of Enlistment? That would help positively identify a Veteran's records, if I can come up with them. If I could identify his family records, my Genie friends are good at locating descendants who may have family history about him.

Help!

Steve

Free bump! Wish I could help out with this. I'd like to know where these guys get all of their enlistment records from.

-Dent

I'd like to know where these guys get all of their enlistment records from.

I do too. I have a family member who is into genealogy and she has paid membership in FootNote.com or something like Roots.com(I belive this is correct web names). This allows her to pull up some of these enlistment records. I have my Grand-Father's draft enlistment even though he didn't serve. I also have my Dad's 1941 enlistment where he listed his occupation as "singer, movie star and entertainer".

But I guess there are some Gov't sites that allow you to search enlistment. I have been using NPS.gov site to look up Civil War Solider's records. But this does not allow you to see the card that is on file. It only gives you name, rank, State and regiment. However, my genealogy friend can download the card file that has a lot more information on it. One card will list the recruiting officer and/or the officer who paid him. If he was killed, it will list the date and place. Also on file may be his Oath of Allegiance. Some will have a seperate sheets such as hospital forms or what is equivalent to seperation papers for those killed in action. These are available on-line but I can't access it.

I've asked my Genie friends and they could not find any military records on this Edward Andres.

Steve